The Big Rubber VS Polyurethane ?????

Camshaft1987

Wow this site has an amazing amount of information from super knowledgeable people, much appreciated.

To start off I have a red st165 with a supposed 205 trans I have yet to ID shifts well though, supposed twin entry turbo with manual boost control playing with 13-14psi, 3in cat back exhaust, interior gutted, relocated bat. an absolute blast to drive, pulls like a mule... above 3500rpm pretty healthy engine no blow by and good vacuum . This old girl definately needs some lovin though. Needs tbelt, bushings in the rear(poly or rubber :shrug: ) , radiator with a pinhole in it, a bunch of wiring fixed (stupid key off loads), paint is just awful body panel clips broke.

My questions.

1---How to ID the trans if possible cant find a stamp or casting. I think it has the electronic speedo cuz PO said that they didnt match up/doesnt work. Cant even see the bastard where it plugs in.

2---How to ID the turbo w/o rippin it out. Havnt drivin many turbo cars to say what is a fast spool or not to be able to tell since twin entry seems to have less turbo lag.

3---Safe limitations of power and boost with factory internals. I heard there are intake cams from other toyotas that work well without overlap.

I'm pretty new to toyotas but have a good 10 years of wrenchin under me to figure stuff out. Could not pass up on this Alltrac. Anyway thanks for any info guys.

CorticalStack

I couldn't tell you how to ID your hardware or what kind of boost you could run (I would imagine that would depend very heavily on the condition of the motor as well), but as far as bushings are concerned, from my research on the forum it seems like "Both" is the way to go.

Specifically rubber in the rear control arms (1 and 2) -- more info on that in this thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21366&start=45

underscore

I think you can ID the turbo by looking at the number of bolts used to secure it to the downpipe, but I'm not positive. A quick search on here should tell you.

RedCelicaTRD

You can ID the trans by looking for a mode selector on the transfer case. St205 doesn't have a selector, 165 and 185 do.

As already mentioned, ID the turbo by the number of studs holding the down pipe to the turbo.

What ecu are you running? That will determine how much boost to run.

FC Zach

Camshaft1987":34gro8al said:
2---How to ID the turbo w/o rippin it out. Havnt drivin many turbo cars to say what is a fast spool or not to be able to tell since twin entry seems to have less turbo lag.

Turbos have identification numbers casted on them:

74020 for twin entry Ceramic CT26
74030 for twin entry Inconel CT26
74040 for twin entry Ceramic CT20B
74080 for twin entry the steel shaft CT20B from the ST205 WRC

Example:
DSC01384.jpg

Camshaft1987

It has the single entry factory turbo identified by the four studs instead of 6, Got that....

It has the factory ecu st165. Need to know if 14psi is too much ie. engine maps keeping good a/f ratios. The engine is in pretty good health with 20 pounds of vacuum and hardly any blow by no smoke. Obviously want to make it last as long as possible but still have a nice grin factor hehe... Need some really good boost and a/f guages now. Any opinions welcome on what kind.

where is the "tranny selector" located whats it look like little lost there.

Both rubber and poly makes sense. Stiff where you want it flexy where you dont.

Thanks guys.