oil cooler

sleeper

Is it oilcooler for the gearbox on a st165??

i have 1 oilcooler in the front of my st165... is this for the gearbox or the engine???

On a ST185, the oil cooler for engine oil is under the oil filter, the
cooler for the transmission is in front of the radiator and has
steel braided/steel lines going to it from the transmission

pepper

sleeper":43zhhums said:
is there a engine oil cooler in the st165???
Yes, the 165 engine oil cooler is a rectangular box attached to the block behind the turbo, so it's not easily visible. The cooler was moved and redesigned on the 185 to allow the turbo to sit a little lower and closer to the block because of the larger A2A I/C.

And there is a small loop coming out of the tranny that officially is an oil cooler (according to EPC) but can't doesn't do much. I suspect it was put in that way for homologation purposes so that putting a more robust cooler on for racing was just a modification, rather than adding a cooler where none existed before. Anyway it would be fairly easy to add on a frame mounted tranny cooler, like on the 185, since the tranny fittings are already there.

-Mike

sleeper

do you have a picture of the oilcooler on the st165...
i have a 5 row oilcooler on the front of my car (right behind the grill) is this for the gearbox or the engine???

i also bought a autometer oiltemperatur gauge.... but don`t find any god place to put the sensor.....any ideas???

pepper

Here's a link to the BGB page showing the 165 cooling system, including the oil cooler:

http://web.pdx.edu/~daym/165cooling.pdf

You'd have to follow the lines from your 5 row cooler and see where they go... that's not stock on a 165. The only thing stock at the front are the radiator, A/C condensor (if A/C equipped) and I/C heat exchanger.

I can't think of anything other than buying a T-adapter where the stock oil pressure sending unit is at, so you can run them both. There's also another thread in the last couple weeks about some sort of unit from Greddy (I think) that sits in the oil filter base and provides ports for oil pressure/temperature.

-Mike

Camshaft1987

Wow resurrection time....
pepper":vppfh61m said:
sleeper":vppfh61m said:
is there a engine oil cooler in the st165???

Yes, the 165 engine oil cooler is a rectangular box attached to the block behind the turbo, so it's not easily visible. The cooler was moved and redesigned on the 185 to allow the turbo to sit a little lower and closer to the block because of the larger A2A I/C.

And there is a small loop coming out of the tranny that officially is an oil cooler (according to EPC) but can't doesn't do much. I suspect it was put in that way for homologation purposes so that putting a more robust cooler on for racing was just a modification, rather than adding a cooler where none existed before. Anyway it would be fairly easy to add on a frame mounted tranny cooler, like on the 185, since the tranny fittings are already there.

Did the factory really put an "engine oil" heat exchanger on the st165 because i see the oil lines to the feed and return for the turbo but damn thats a tight spot and a really bad spot for a heat exchanger because of the turbo being right there. Anybody else confirm with Pepper there was a Engine Oil cooler for the 88 Alltrac......

-Mike

Camshaft1987

Did the factory really put an "engine oil" heat exchanger on the st165 because i see the oil lines to the feed and return for the turbo but damn thats a tight spot and a really bad spot for a heat exchanger because of the turbo being right there. Anybody else confirm with Pepper there was a Engine Oil cooler for the 88 Alltrac......

Sorry guys, a bit new to forums bare with me........ this is my question

underscore

Yeah it's not a conventional cooler, I think all gens use the setup where it's cooled with the engine coolant?

GT4_DRED

Cooler(s) on the front of the 165 is for the Top mount intercooler heat exchanger and the smaller one is for the tranny.