Head problem st165

Dj1412

I have an 88 st165 3sgte
Found out my oil leak is not coming from the valve cover but coming from the side of the head
There is a hair line Crack in the aluminum right above the exhaust manifold

Is there any other heads that will bolt up to my block :late model :non turbo: 3sfe: or does it have to be a 1988 3sgte

Or would it be better just finding a whole another motor

RedCelicaTRD

I assume the crack is on the alternator side of the exhaust manifold?

And if I remember right you can use a regular 3sge head, or a second gen 3sgte head. I don't think the intake manifold will work on a 3sfe or 5sfe head.

___Scott___

It's an all too common problem on the first gen head. It happened on my first ST165 and I replaced the head with one from a 3SGE. The heads are a little different, but it still ran good.

I'm not sure I would do it again though. It's beginning to look like a 4th gen 3sgte swap makes a lot of sense when you compare it to putting money into a 1st gen 3sgte.

Camshaft1987

If you do go with a 3sge head try and snag the side mount intake with it. Improves intake volume for a little more grunt on the bottom end of your power. Where abouts in WA are you living. Im in Bonney Lake Buckley Sumner area.

88gt4DE

___Scott___":34nqdup0 said:
It's an all too common problem on the first gen head. It happened on my first ST165 and I replaced the head with one from a 3SGE. The heads are a little different, but it still ran good.

I'm not sure I would do it again though. It's beginning to look like a 4th gen 3sgte swap makes a lot of sense when you compare it to putting money into a 1st gen 3sgte.

+1 on that one and I did it twice. Never again

RedCelicaTRD

Dj1412":18aagss7 said:
Thanks for the info is cracking of the head in the head a common issue in that area what causes it

I believe it was caused by the alternator bracket and how it stresses that area. The 2nd gens have a different bracket design and no long have the cracking issue.