SCCA ST165 finally begins

Time frame pushed back again... No test day this Friday and First event in 3 weeks is scratched... Hoping to do first race weekend in June with a test day that Fri.

This is the problem with a car like ours. Everything is basically custom and takes triple time... Stressed out now!

Thank you to everyone for the support. I'll keep updating as usual

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

MWP

Yeah, i know the feeling doing a complete custom engine/car build like that.
You never realise how complicated, and time consuming it is until you give it a go.
Sometimes actually doing the work is the easy bit... working out the best way to go about doing something and design is the hard bit.

Only one thing i would change... use a +98 5S oil pump, a +98 crank angle sensor, and a Caldina/BEAMS crank cam belt pulley :)
No need to run that finger destroying toothed wheel then.

MWP

Yup, did it with my 5S build.

The sensor isnt bolted up in this photo, but you can see where it sits inset into the 5S oil pump at about a 4 o'clock angle from the crank pulley.
The Caldina / BEAMS oil pumps cant be used as they need the accompanying alloy sumps to clear the sensor with it at the 6 o'clock position.

Its a normal 36-2 wheel. The tooth position is offset due to using the 5S sensor position and the Caldina pulley, but any decent ECU can take care of that (Megasquirt3 for me).

This plus the stock cam pos sensor in the Caldina head is easy to set up and gives factory level reliability :)

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 2,936

RedCelicaTRD

MWP":1paev8mu said:
Yup, did it with my 5S build.

The sensor isnt bolted up in this photo, but you can see where it sits inset into the 5S oil pump at about a 4 o'clock angle from the crank pulley.
The Caldina / BEAMS oil pumps cant be used as they need the accompanying alloy sumps to clear the sensor with it at the 6 o'clock position.

Its a normal 36-2 wheel. The tooth position is offset due to using the 5S sensor position and the Caldina pulley, but any decent ECU can take care of that (Megasquirt3 for me).

This plus the stock cam pos sensor in the Caldina head is easy to set up and gives factory level reliability :)

What timing belt and oil pump gear did you go with?

Also, do you have any other info on the Caldina setup? That's the one I'm interested in but I'm not sure what combo of parts I'll need. I'm thinking 3rd gen pan, Caldina pump, and Caldina crank gear but I am unsure what oil pump gear will get be used so I can use a stock belt.

Edit: After looking at some pics it looks like I'd need the 4th gen pan also.

MWP

RedCelicaTRD":1lm6vdgz said:
What timing belt and oil pump gear did you go with?
Also, do you have any other info on the Caldina setup? That's the one I'm interested in but I'm not sure what combo of parts I'll need. I'm thinking 3rd gen pan, Caldina pump, and Caldina crank gear but I am unsure what oil pump gear will get be used so I can use a stock belt.
Edit: After looking at some pics it looks like I'd need the 4th gen pan also.

I used a 205 belt and a 205 oil pump pulley on the +98 5S oil pump.

You cant run a 205 sump and Caldina oil pump... they wont align properly.
... yes, your edit is correct :)
Or run a redtop beams oil pump and sump if you can find those.