Driver's Door Won't Open

Aaron

I think I have it narrowed down to a problem with the locking mechanism. I shone a flashlight down the door gap and I can see the lever moving when I pull the handle, so it's not disconnected. The lock, when moved manually, also appears to move the rod in the appropriate fashion, but when I press the power door lock button, there's a horrible grinding sound. Any ideas how I can at least get the door open so I can take the interior panel off and replace the lock? Is there something I can stick down there and manipulate the latch in some way? Any other ideas?

Aaron

athousandleaves":st21v0ta said:

Choppity time my friend.

That pic is cropped super tight so it's a little hard to tell what's what, but did you actually cut into the exterior door panel? Why not go through the inside?

I looked at it a little more and I'm definitely going to have to cut up the interior door panel. At that point, I'm hoping I can f*ck with the lock enough to get it to unlatch from the striker without doing any grinding, sawing, or cutting. I'll definitely need a gray interior door panel, though, if anyone's got one. I think the System 10 was also an option on the GT-S, right? I hope these things aren't super rare...

Also, sidenote to the mods, can we please disable the language filter? This is the Internet and it's 2016. I mean, seriously.

underscore

System 10 was a feature on the GTS, however I think the only difference between the doors that had it and the doors that didn't is that lower section with the pocket and the speaker mounted in it (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If I'm right then so long as you don't damage that piece you can just transfer it over to a non-System 10 door and be on your way.

I need to do the same thing with my GTS (cut the panel open and open the door) so if you don't mind waiting a bit I can go first and let you know how it goes.

athousandleaves

If the lock mechanism inside the door is truly stuck you're going to have to drill out the back of the two HSS bolts that hold the latch to the frame.

The excessive carnage in the photos I posted was of a rusted to shit chassis I parted out. Drivers door wouldn't open so I took the "easy" way into the lock... So not easy.
You can also go at it from the inside and instead destroy the rear interior plastic panel, alltrac ≠ GTS here iirc, the door card however is the same.

A slimjim kit or other mechanics specialty tools are useless when the servos and linkages in the door lock box part seize up, I bought many expensive and tools nothing worked.

If you're looking for an easier way out that probably won't work, try spraying an entire bottle of penetrant into the lock area of the door, down the window at the box and try to massage it open with lock/unlock and pushing the door shut before you try to open it. I've managed to get that to work once. ONCE.

Now everyone that has read this, please go grease your damn locks.

Aaron

Success!
Door Latch 3.JPG

The problem was just a stuck latch. It was stuck pretty good, but I used some PB Blaster and then jammed a screwdriver on it, hit it and eventually got it to move. I greased it all up now so it works, but I'm still going to replace it with a new one. Also, the power lock is still making that grinding sound, so might as well just replace the whole thing.

Here's the latch... That metal circle in the middle with the orange rust surrounding it is the piece that was stuck. I had to get it to rotate counter-clockwise. It should be up at the top of that eyelet piece on the right at resting position.
Door Latch 2.JPG

underscore

I managed to get lucky today, I blasted a bunch of WD40 and PB Blaster in the crack of the door and left it for a bit, then I worked the lock open and closed a bunch of times and finally I was able to open the door. Now it opens and closes completely normally but I want to get whatever kind of grease goes on this stuff and apply it wherever it should go.

athousandleaves

Get down to the latch actuator mechanism, take it apart and grease it till you can sleep well at night.

Attachments

• 20160614_200820_HDR-1.jpg
    20160614_200820_HDR-1.jpg
    895.5 KB · Views: 1,836