Lightened flywheel

Locker

Hey guys, Just looking for some thoughts and opinions.

In my parts bin I have a lightened flywheel. I am trying to decide whether or not I should use it when I install my Gen4 engine in my car. I've read a lot of conflicting posts on the advantages and disadvantages of running one and curious what you guys think.

The car isn't being built to be a racecar and driveability is a very important component to the build which is why I'm hesitant on using it.

Thanks,
Mike

mx6er2587

Both of my tracs came with lightweight flywheels so I've never driven one without one, but compared to all the other manual transmission vehicles I've owned I wouldn't say the driveability is any worse becuase of flywheel mass

msanders2

I have the findaza in my car with my gen 2 built stroker. I needed a flywheel to fit the 5sfe crank. I don't like it much. I'm swapping in a gen4 in a couple of months and will be going back to the stock flywheel and selling the fidanza.

Locker

msanders2":24o0k7w8 said:
I have the findaza in my car with my gen 2 built stroker. I needed a flywheel to fit the 5sfe crank. I don't like it much. I'm swapping in a gen4 in a couple of months and will be going back to the stock flywheel and selling the fidanza.
Why don't you like it?

msanders2

It doesn't feel as "smooth" and a factory weight one. It's hard to explain. My mr2 has the stock flywheel and all around driveability feels better.

Smaay

msanders2":1smozl1x said:

i love Fidanza flywheels, so ill be happy to take that off your hands

klue

Its hard to compare apples to apples in this situation. As most people change the flywheel and the clutch at the same time. Introducing the clutch as a variable.

If your dropping 20lbs off the flywheel with a stage 3 clutch, yes your going to make it a bit tricker to get going

Corey

I've tried two light weight clutch setups in my car. One an ORC, now an ACT HD with light weight flywheel.

Both are very easy to drive. Much better revmatches.