Project Pearl

deecee

November 2015

Got the neighbour to skip the discs at his workshop for free. Used my old rear discs, but they were the wrong size for the RC. So many little differences
deecee_pearl_171.jpg

Needed to get the bonnet, bumper and guards painted, so loaded up parts and took them to the panel beater.
deecee_pearl_172.jpg

And why is the RC called Pearl? Because of the pearl paint :)
deecee_pearl_173.jpg

Needed to repair the drivers seat. I found a Celica up at Pick A Part with the confetti pattern, but the drivers seat was pretty crap. So I decided to take the passenger seat and swap material and possibly foam over.

Following pictures go through the disassembly and reassembly of the seat step by step. Will add little notes where I think appropriate.

Take headrests off.
deecee_pearl_174.jpg

deecee_pearl_175.jpg

You're left with bracket attached to the main plastic cover
deecee_pearl_176.jpg

Disassemble underside of seat
deecee_pearl_177.jpg

deecee_pearl_178.jpg

deecee_pearl_179.jpg

deecee_pearl_180.jpg

Seat bolster and material destroyed from years of use
deecee_pearl_181.jpg

deecee

Main plastic cover needs to be moved up to unclip from the seat back
deecee_pearl_182.jpg

Remove the brackets first
deecee_pearl_183.jpg

deecee_pearl_184.jpg

deecee_pearl_185.jpg

Note locations of the clips
deecee_pearl_186.jpg

Back of seat and actuators to adjust the seat
deecee_pearl_187.jpg

Remove hog pins. Note, all hog pins were pried apart for reuse later
deecee_pearl_188.jpg

deecee_pearl_189.jpg

deecee_pearl_190.jpg

deecee_pearl_191.jpg

Pull through cable
deecee_pearl_192.jpg

Remove hog pins which hold in the rubber hoses which hold the seat material in place.
deecee_pearl_193.jpg

Unbolt the seat back
deecee_pearl_194.jpg

deecee_pearl_195.jpg

Remove the ajustment dials on the side
deecee_pearl_196.jpg

Use a screwdriver or two to pop the clips.
deecee_pearl_197.jpg

deecee_pearl_198.jpg

deecee_pearl_199.jpg

deecee

Remove the tilt handle
deecee_pearl_200.jpg

deecee_pearl_201.jpg

Remove screw under the tilt handle
deecee_pearl_202.jpg

Remove side cover
deecee_pearl_203.jpg

Remove screws for side cover, belt buckle, undo seatbelt sensor wire
deecee_pearl_204.jpg

Remove bolts either side to remove seat base
deecee_pearl_205.jpg

Then you are left with the seat frame
deecee_pearl_206.jpg

Remove hog pins to release seat base material
deecee_pearl_207.jpg

Unlatch the plastic side and rear clips
deecee_pearl_208.jpg

More hog pins to remove
deecee_pearl_209.jpg

Now the base is free
deecee_pearl_210.jpg

deecee

Remove hog pins to side. Note, the rubber tubing holds the material in place. Remove hog pins, do not cut the rubber tubing.
deecee_pearl_211.jpg

The seat back material is held in with metal rods using hog pins. Remove carefully and yes, they are a pain in the rear to reach.
deecee_pearl_212.jpg

Seat back is 5.4kg with motors, no foam or material. Heavy suckers
deecee_pearl_213.jpg

deecee_pearl_214.jpg

As I was swapping material from Passenger seat to drivers seat, here are photos of the passenger seat disassembly
deecee_pearl_215.jpg

deecee_pearl_216.jpg

deecee_pearl_217.jpg

deecee_pearl_218.jpg

deecee_pearl_219.jpg

deecee_pearl_220.jpg

deecee

Headrests. Remove screws inside rubber grommet. Note the different colours and length
deecee_pearl_221.jpg

Pull plastic cover down
deecee_pearl_222.jpg

deecee_pearl_223.jpg

Unclip plastic tabs
deecee_pearl_224.jpg

Remove material
deecee_pearl_225.jpg

Remove foam
deecee_pearl_226.jpg

deecee_pearl_227.jpg

The seat back foam is the same between driver and passenger sides
deecee_pearl_228.jpg

Obviously drivers side has actuators to control side bolsters and lumbar support. Doesn't mean you couldn't put in a drivers side seat back on to the passenger side if you wanted. Would just need another control box and loom.
deecee_pearl_229.jpg

Seat back material has a rod at the bottom. Thread back through the vinyl
deecee_pearl_230.jpg

deecee

Rubber tubes, metal rods and long metal rod which loops around are removed to be able to wash the covers.
deecee_pearl_231.jpg

Time to clean. Honestly, the covers were absolutely filthy.
deecee_pearl_232.jpg

deecee_pearl_233.jpg

And in to the washing machine
deecee_pearl_234.jpg

After washing and drying on the line, the seat covers came out amazing! Previously you couldn't even see the pattern there was so much dirt embedded.
deecee_pearl_235.jpg

deecee_pearl_236.jpg

Time to reassemble the seat.
deecee_pearl_237.jpg

Use one of the rods to pull through the rubber tubes
deecee_pearl_238.jpg

Seat back material ready for reassembly
deecee_pearl_239.jpg

Attach the foam
deecee_pearl_240.jpg

deecee

Put material over foam and frame
deecee_pearl_241.jpg

Position material around the headrest adjustment
deecee_pearl_242.jpg

Manipulate the material in and around the foam
deecee_pearl_243.jpg

Reuse the hog pins
deecee_pearl_244.jpg

deecee_pearl_245.jpg

Once the seat back is finished, should look like this
deecee_pearl_247.jpg

Seat base is a little more fun. The rods are embedded in the foam with gauze. Commonly the gauze will disintegrate. Do you best to not rip the rods straight out.
deecee_pearl_246.jpg

Seat base:

as you can see, the guaze can break apart easily. Base material has rods as does the base foam. Both rods are joined together with hog pins
deecee_pearl_248.jpg

Fit material over the foam. Attach the rods between the material and foam together with the hog pins. Tip, rotate the sharp edges of the hog pins down to prevent sharp objects pointing up in to your bum. Read for the frame
deecee_pearl_249.jpg

deecee

Frame held to foam with rods and hog pins. Using a screw driver, I pushed the rod against the frame and then put a hog pin on.
deecee_pearl_250.jpg

deecee_pearl_251.jpg

deecee_pearl_252.jpg

deecee_pearl_253.jpg

deecee_pearl_254.jpg

Seat base done
deecee_pearl_255.jpg

Give the seat base a brush down
deecee_pearl_256.jpg

deecee_pearl_257.jpg

As I swaped the passenger side base material to the drivers side, I needed to cut out a hole for the bolt hole on either side. Note, you can't swap the frame over as there is provision on the drivers seat base for the vertical lift mechanism.
deecee_pearl_258.jpg

Find the hole
deecee_pearl_259.jpg

deecee

Identify size of hole
deecee_pearl_260.jpg

Cut carefully
deecee_pearl_261.jpg

deecee_pearl_262.jpg

And done
deecee_pearl_263.jpg

Bolt in base
deecee_pearl_264.jpg

Bolt in back
deecee_pearl_265.jpg

deecee_pearl_266.jpg

deecee_pearl_267.jpg

Used zip ties to finish up the holding the seat material against the frame as I couldn't hold the material and manipulate a hog pin in to position.
deecee_pearl_268.jpg

Put plastic cover back on, manipulating the cover over the headreat adjustment
deecee_pearl_269.jpg

deecee

deecee_pearl_270.jpg

Clip the loom in to place on the underside of the seat.
deecee_pearl_271.jpg

Clip bottom cover back in to place
deecee_pearl_272.jpg

Put seat buckle wire in place
deecee_pearl_273.jpg

Put covers back on. Screw in
deecee_pearl_274.jpg

Note, the covers have clips
deecee_pearl_275.jpg

deecee_pearl_276.jpg

Put screw back in
deecee_pearl_277.jpg

Put tilt adjustment handle back on
deecee_pearl_278.jpg

deecee_pearl_279.jpg

deecee

Put circlip on to adjustment dial
deecee_pearl_280.jpg

Push dial on to spline, then push the circlip down
deecee_pearl_281.jpg

Headrest is easy to reassemble
deecee_pearl_282.jpg

deecee_pearl_283.jpg

deecee_pearl_284.jpg

deecee_pearl_285.jpg

Note, clips which need to go clip on to the headrest frame
deecee_pearl_286.jpg

Rubber has location points to mount correctly
deecee_pearl_287.jpg

Material needs to sit over the corners of the frame
deecee_pearl_288.jpg

Clip cover in to place
deecee_pearl_289.jpg

deecee

Screw down, remember which screws go where?
deecee_pearl_290.jpg

Mount headrest
deecee_pearl_291.jpg

Using a small screwdriver, position the rubber over the bracket on the seat back
deecee_pearl_292.jpg

deecee_pearl_293.jpg

And a drivers seat disassembled, cleaned up and reassembled! :)
deecee_pearl_294.jpg

Remember what we started with?
deecee_pearl_295.jpg

deecee

23 November 2015

A NZ GT Four Club member came over to inspect the RC's ECU. The caps in their RC had leaked and blown a track on the board. They needed to look at mine to identify where the track went.
deecee_pearl_296.jpg

deecee_pearl_297.jpg

Since the ECU was out, I decided to send it up to Auckland to a friend to get all the caps replaced.
deecee_pearl_298.jpg

Firstly I provided him with these cap values: 2x 10uf50v; 15uf35v; 100uf10v, 33uf35v; 220uf10v; 47uf63v
He said he had them in his workshop, so the ECU refresh was a go.

Interestingly, he has the equipment to read and write EPROMs, so we had a little conversation about modification of Toyota ECUs. What was interesting was the ability to design custom boards and get them prototyped in batches of 100 or so. So there is the potential to create new RC ECU's if there was ever a need. But after some analysis, there really was little value in doing so as it was just as easy to buy a MegaSquirt or move up to a Link or Haltech due to the prototyping cost.

Once the ECU was in Auckland, Dee had a look over the ECU. He noted the following:
- Just doing some research. These eeproms looks to be masked which means if I try to read it I will get garbage for data.
- Ecu does have a moisture barrier/conformal coating. Looks to be laquer based as isopropyl turns it sticky.
- All the caps are done..im working on thr eprom now. I trying a slip on chip adaptor before i try desoldering it. I should be able to read it without pulling thr chip. Saves melting the lacquer coating and making it look like a mess.
- Its garbled data. The chip has a toyota specific part number so i cant manually identify it. The auto detect mode on eprom reader reckons its a 27c512 chio but data comes back as garbage.

After that, he did ask about setting up a simulation bench so he can probe the logic. But too much effort and I was on a schedule as I was picking up a new project car in Auckland that weekend.

Here are some photos of his work:
deecee_pearl_299.jpg

deecee_pearl_300.jpg

deecee_pearl_301.jpg

deecee_pearl_302.jpg

deecee_pearl_303.jpg

deecee_pearl_304.jpg

deecee_pearl_305.jpg

deecee_pearl_306.jpg

deecee

25 November 2015

Had some issues fitting the exhaust system once everything was hanging from brackets and flanges were bolted up. Decided that I needed 10mm in a straight section, so the exhaust came out and I added a 10mm secion of pipe. Respray in heat temp paint and reinstalled with new gaskets and exhaust sealant.
deecee_pearl_307.jpg

deecee_pearl_308.jpg

December 2015 - March 2016

No work on Pearl was done during this period of time. Promotion at work = more work, Christmas in Australia with my sister's family, and I decided to install a decent stereo system in my daily driver.

Stereo system in the car was a project in itself. Two months to do and I still haven't installed the sub yet lol
- Pioneer P99RS competition headunit which can be controlled by steering wheel controller
- 3 way active front speaker set up using custom speakers in factory locations with full sound deadening
- rear custom speakers in factory locations with full sound deadening
- re-wired the car for active speaker setup
- built amp rack for high end amps with fan controller system

deecee

21 March 2016

Back to work on Pearl. Inner CV boot was torn. Time to replace the boot and regrease the inner CV.
deecee_pearl_309.jpg

deecee_pearl_310.jpg

deecee_pearl_311.jpg

26 March 2016

Nick wet vacuumed the passenger seat as it was pretty manky.
deecee_pearl_312.jpg

deecee_pearl_313.jpg

Disgusting to say the least
deecee_pearl_314.jpg

A clean of the headliner was also in order. Disinfectant to start.
deecee_pearl_315.jpg

deecee_pearl_316.jpg

Time to fit some mesh on the bumper and bonnet.
deecee_pearl_317.jpg

Spray it black before bonding to the bumper.
deecee_pearl_318.jpg

deecee

Install side mesh insert which were saved from the original bumper. Cleaned up and sprayed black
deecee_pearl_319.jpg

I wanted to see if the RC centre mesh could be used in the new bonnet. I ended up cutting off tabs to test fit
deecee_pearl_320.jpg

One of the final pieces of the interior was the missing glovebox
deecee_pearl_321.jpg

Tried the orginal mesh in the fibreglass bonnet, but the mesh was warped due to the crash. Time for some replacement mesh.
deecee_pearl_322.jpg

Nick bonded in the spray painted bumper mesh
deecee_pearl_323.jpg

Tried fitting the bumper but had a number of issues with fitment. Took bumper home to mod

April 2016 - May 2016
Bumper sat on the workbench at home for a couple of months. Got busy, unmotivated and at the start of May, fell down some stairs, so really screwed myself up for a month with a sore head and bruised leg.

3 June 2016
Finally I was up to standing for long periods of time and got back in to the garage after a call from someone who was enquiring about purchasing Pearl.

First things first, time to sort out the bumper fitment.

Got my aluminium crash bar and original RC bumper and checked clearances with the FG bumper and mesh.
deecee_pearl_324.jpg

deecee_pearl_325.jpg

deecee_pearl_326.jpg

Trimmed some of the mesh
deecee_pearl_327.jpg

Tried fitting the bumper again, but again, no success.

deecee

4 June 2016

After looking at the flanges to the side and thinking they were too thick I removed the side brackets to sand the FG flange down a bit. Reattached the bracket once I finished sanding.
deecee_pearl_328.jpg

Decided that I needed to test the original bumper and aluminium support and so packed up the car with a bunch of stuff and headed back to Nick's. Bought some lights to work outside. Ended up being 5C and foggy that evening..

Nick changed the plint backing on the back as there was some adhesive left from a shitty bage left over. Pays to have spares around my garage
deecee_pearl_329.jpg

Testing supports next to each other revealed nothing new. Pearls support was not bent/warped in the crash - phew!
deecee_pearl_330.jpg

Honestly, Pearl spends half her time with body work off. Had to remove the guard as I snapped a bolt off in the guard so we needed to get it out.
deecee_pearl_331.jpg

Decided to fit the fibreglass bonnet
deecee_pearl_332.jpg

Nick removing said broken bolt after I drilled a hole in it at home.
deecee_pearl_333.jpg

Bumper finally fitted on passenger side and bonnet trim added. Starting to look like a car. We still had bumper fitting issues though with the drivers side not fitting. Initially we thought the chassis rail was warped due to the crash or the guard was warped. After looking at the design of the original RC bumper and even test fitting it, we determined that the shape of the bumper at the bracket point couldn't flex due to the flange in place. The bumper, around the indicator area, does flex a bit and the FG bumper could flex with a bit of effort as well.
deecee_pearl_334.jpg

Back to the bracket. As you can see, the flange is quite thick. 4.6mm if I remember. The stock flange is around 2.5 - 3.0mm or so.
deecee_pearl_335.jpg

As you can see, the thickness is uniform along the flange. Obviously the moulding wasn't perfect and the shop added more material on to the flange for strength.
deecee_pearl_336.jpg

Drilled out rivets again
deecee_pearl_337.jpg

Dremal time
deecee_pearl_338.jpg

Trim down was more intense this time with more measurements and test fitting of the bracket
deecee_pearl_339.jpg

Better fit of the bracket
deecee_pearl_340.jpg

deecee

And success! Everything was fitted up. I let Nick put the licence plate on as it was a huge moment for both of us to get to this point.

I fixed up the glovebox as well which required swapping the latch and swapping out the locking mechanism which is for Elephant.

So time to start the car and give it a shakedown on the road. Clutch needed pumping a lot to get it in to gear and then on to the road for a proper test. Drove for 15 minutes and when I got back the car was smoking and steaming as the paint on the exhaust flashed off and the rust build up on the discs was removed with glazed pads. Quite funny to see it smoking from the underside of the car.

Time for a wash! Needed to get rid of the grime and brake/rust on the wheels.
deecee_pearl_341.jpg

deecee_pearl_342.jpg

deecee_pearl_343.jpg

deecee_pearl_344.jpg

So after Pearl's wash, it was time for a shakedown out to the coast to see how the car was tracking and to check if the ECU would throw any codes. Of note, the speedo was way out, and is something that needs to be fixed before going for a warrant of fitness and road registration. Apart from that, there was various squealing from the brakes as they bedded in.

deecee

Took some photos to show Pearl in the sunshine. Such a momentous occassion to see her back on the road for the first time in 2.5 years.
deecee_pearl_345.jpg

deecee_pearl_346.jpg

deecee_pearl_347.jpg

deecee_pearl_348.jpg

deecee_pearl_349.jpg

deecee_pearl_350.jpg

deecee_pearl_351.jpg

deecee_pearl_352.jpg

deecee_pearl_353.jpg

deecee_pearl_354.jpg

deecee_pearl_355.jpg

deecee_pearl_356.jpg

deecee

And some shots to show off to the prospective new owner
deecee_pearl_357.jpg

deecee_pearl_358.jpg

deecee_pearl_359.jpg

deecee_pearl_360.jpg

deecee_pearl_361.jpg

deecee_pearl_362.jpg

Finished up the evening by parking up and chucking the cover over.

And so Pearl is back up and running and nearly everything is fixed up.
Only things to finish are to fit the bonnet washer jets and fix the speedometer issue.

I wonder if the speedometer issue is due to the cap replacement, but I will swap in another gauge cluster to see if the original gauge cluster is the issue.

So now after 237 photos of the past year, you are now up to date.

Cheers, Dave