St165 hose problem

MrMcQuacker

Hello everyone. About a year ago I bought a st165 that needed some tlc. I recently changed a few hoses and changed out the clutch. I noticed a hose and have no freaking idea where it goes. Can someone please lend me and eye and knowledge on where this connects to. Some pictures would be fantastic :) I'm having trouble uploading images. Pictures will come soon. Thank you.

Attachments

• 2016-06-26_02.08.56~2.jpg
    2016-06-26_02.08.56~2.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 4,299
  • 2016-06-26_14.11.41.jpg
    2016-06-26_14.11.41.jpg
    851.2 KB · Views: 4,301

MrMcQuacker

Please any info is better than no info. This obstacle is the only thing preventing me from finishing my car! :(

Thx in advance

MrMcQuacker

Hey Scott nice picture. But based on that I don't have the proper angel to see the tubing. Zalus, I was thinking the same thing but I couldn't find a broken or empty spot. Can you guys show me what coolent pipes go through that general area or for coolent to the throttle body?

Thank you guys.

___Scott___

I found one that shows the hoses that supply heat to the throttle body, and I confirmed with the BGB that they are the ones:
http://planetcampbell.us/P1030023a.jpg

I took a lot of pictures of areas that are hard to see with the engine in the car, but apparently I didn't get good enough shots of that area. As you are undoubtedly painfully aware, there is a lot of stuff in the way that obscures that particular hose.

bitter

If that's the one, then that hose goes to the vsv#2 to the right of the tvis vacuum reservoir looking at Scott's last jpg picture.

___Scott___

MrMcQuacker":1o5dgiab said:
I think this 1 is it! Where does it go though?

That one and this one are the same hose:
TurboVSVhose.jpg

You can see that it connects to the TurboVSV.

If you look closely in this pic: http://planetcampbell.us/P1030051.JPG, you can see there is a cap and zip-tie on the other end of the metal section. That cap is there because I use a ball&spring type manual boost controller and have bypassed the TurboVSV. If you are also using some sort of alternate boost controller (like anyone in their right mind) then you don't really "need" that hose. I'm trying to keep my car close to stock so I kept it and can easily remove the boost controller and put it back to stock if I decide to someday.

MrMcQuacker

Wow. I have no idea how the hell I am going to get to that, without having to Jack up the car and remove the N&S cross member.

___Scott___

It could be worse. See the green connector on the other end of the TurboVSV? I forgot to plug that in.

When I had everything else hooked back up, I still had a mysterious wire with a green connector on it that I couldn't figure out where it belonged. Eventually while looking through pictures I found the matching green connector on that VSV. I wasted way too much time trying to figure out how to plug it back in and finally decided to leave it as is since I'm not using it anyway.

MrMcQuacker

OK man o man! So excited. Got so much plug in and almost ready to give it it's first crank in a little over a year soon.

Another weird 1, I'll try and research it myself as well. But for some weird reason I can't seem to find my negative terminal wire to the battery. Honestly have no idea where it is. Is it suppose to be somewhere specific, or can I just get another and connect it to the battery and ground it to the chassis?

___Scott___

The negative side of the battery connects to both the body and the engine. Ideally you want the big cable connection close to the starter since that's where the high amount of current is used. The smaller cable connects to the body near the battery.

MrMcQuacker

I will look 1 last time. If I don't find one, I'll buy 1-2 thick black wires to put in. So for clarification, just connect 1 terminal from the battery to the chassis, and the other from either the chassis to the transmission or from the battery straight to the transmission.

Sorry if that seems to sound a little confusing haha.

Thank you again Scott for the input.

___Scott___

Typically the cable that attaches to the negative terminal of the battery will have two wires coming from it. One will be big and the other will be small. Connect the "other" end of the big wire to the transmission, near the starter... maybe to one of the starter mounting bolts. Connect the small wire to the chassis.

If you can't find the old one and have to buy a new one, what you are looking for is something like this:
images

except you want black for ground/negative instead of red. (I couldn't find a similar pic in black.)

MrMcQuacker

OK!, So I have some good news and some bad news. The good news it, I found the ground wire; connected it and turned over the car and it started and idled well. Bad news is the turbo oil feed line, one of them spit out a ton of oil. So I need to replace the gasket or seal it up, one or the other. ALSO! :(, I noticed that there was coolent dripping from the left side of the engine bay while I was pouring water into the radiator. I am assuming that the water was coming out of the water pump area...

So now I am going to try and see if I can replace the water pump while the motor is in the car. If I can't THEN OMFG!!!!! I will be so irritated.

But the motor started and that makes me happy as well :). STUPID OIL FEEDS/RETURN! whichever it was.