KAAZ Front/Center LSD combo. SERIOUS FEELER!!!

kevzep

eric thompson":2z9ox1mg said:
Vicious how? What's it doing?

Sounds like its doing its job to me.

Front/Centre LSD may not suit some people for road use, as they do wear your tyres out, and will scuff and bind a bit, at normal driving speeds, I feel there's no real benefit...
When I had a ST205 as a road car, I found the standard system works absolutely fine, and I wouldn't actually want a front/centre LSD.

However if you are using it on track or especially rally, it is essential for maximum traction for maximum drive train efficiency and car balance.....

I hope Kaaz do actually put it into production.....I thought this was dead in the water, but perhaps not...

hazee

As said above scuffing , locking and binding at slow corner speed

Steering has a totally different feel - much heavier . Can see me being a lot more tired after racing

Feels like it's going to be great on track... My st205 is not road legal , so will know more next Friday

I already know I wouldn't have it on a road car though

hazee

I'm running the correct kaaz oil .

Which is mineral based with friction modifier

And actually the gear change better than when I had fully synthetic race oil

hazee

Yea I got a rebuild kit from kaaz , and advanced Motorsport engineering , fitted and shimmed it all --- I would not have a clue how to do it.

They would have loaded them a 100%

I've just put a cusco Rs type diff in the back of a mk3 supra that loaded 100% and that locking pretty hard too.

They both just need bedding in abit

My rear cusco diff on the 4 feels the same as standard - but it was second hand so plates will be worn

kevzep

underscore":32oaakz3 said:
eric thompson":32oaakz3 said:
I can only assume that the difference will be what a rear lsd is to an open read diff. One wheel drive, only the inside wheel spinning during inclement weather, much more predidictable and precise handling... Not to mention eliminating the power sapping center viscous coupling for a clutch type unit that transfers power rearward with more immediacy. Both of which also actually do something productive under deceleration as well.... I guess the best perspective would be a DSM eclipse owner who has upgraded their units to LSD's. Since stock GSX's were also open front and viscous center..... No pressure though.

I know how they work and what differences they're supposed to make, I'm just trying to find out what quantity of difference will be made on our cars. I want to be sure that it's something that makes a significant, noticeable difference and isn't just something that shaves 0.2s off a lap time.

Well, for example on my rally car the difference between the Viscous and a locked centre was very very significant.

In a very familiar hillclimb road we use, which is fairly short. My best time was 2min 1 sec. Same tyres same road conditions, the locked Centre gave me a best time of 1min 53 sec.
There is a significant increase in traction.
This is on a gravel road of course, but it will translate to better than just a couple of 10ths on a circuit....

kevzep

underscore":2e1vow6z said:
Good to hear some real world results, thanks for the update!

Of course this is a locked centre, but does give you come idea of the improvement in traction....

hazee

Well I have to admit it ...... The kaaz front did feels great on track.

I'm using the expensive kaaz oil and the gear changes feel smoother than before

The next day even after the bedding in process it was a lot easier to use - then on track it reduced understeer and increased grip.

Took it easy on the practice as the engine had been out so just wanted to get everything up to racing temps to check for leaks and issues.
Also lots of oil oil on track

https://youtu.be/awAmGIg0h4U

hazee

Was soaking wet 2 hours before @ 9am when my first session was.

That was my second but with all the oil on the track 2nd session wasn't great either.

Just left the ad08r on for both sessions --- think kumho v70a should hopefully be a little quicker in the dry

mike@td.co.uk

I've been in contact with Eric via email about this subject so I hope this isn't going to annoy him too much :)

QDF31E%20LSD%20GT4%20Celica%20ST205.jpg

A front ATB LSD for Celica GT4/Alltrac 8) 8) 8)

Has been test fitted and test ran by Quaife themselves in-house and given the all clear. Its been a very long road but we're finally in sight of the finish line!

We have a delivery due tomorrow Friday 1st July. I do however have most of these units already spoken for, pending payment. If anybody is interested then please do feel free to get in touch and any 'drop out' units can be reallocated. The USD is very good against the GBP right now! :lol:

More photos on Friday when they arrive in house :)

Thanks

Mike Jones
Tuning Developments Ltd
mike@tuningdevelopments.co.uk