How to remove the head bolts on a 90 alltrac

awdmofo

Have the valve cover removed and before I remove the intake manifold and the turbo I wanted to ask what tool is used to remove the head bolts. This video below says a "12 point" socket, anyone know a part number or another name for it?

(Go to 4 mins into the video to hear him talk about it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BckKpYCQYM4

zaluss

awdmofo

zaluss":2xn851ee said:
awdmofo":2xn851ee said:
Have the valve cover removed and before I remove the intake manifold and the turbo I wanted to ask what tool is used to remove the head bolts. This video below says a "12 point" socket, anyone know a part number or another name for it?

(Go to 4 mins into the video to hear him talk about it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BckKpYCQYM4

IIRC its a 12 point 12mm hex socket.

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-1-2-in-D ... et/3387370

that seems right but I believe I need the male socket not female :shrug: .

Locker

its a 12 point female socket.
I've done it with a regular 6 point but wouldn't recommend it if you plan on reusing them

underscore

You can buy the sockets, but the ones I've found are in sets and pricey (considering how little I'd use them) so I usually cheat and get a bolt and 2 or 3 nuts that are the size you need and in the highest grade available. Tighten them together and weld the last nut to the shaft of the bolt, then just use a normal socket on that to remove the bolts.

awdmofo

Locker":9ust3dr2 said:
I've done it with a regular 6 point but wouldn't recommend it if you plan on reusing them

If this is correct, does that mean the mr2 3s-gte has different bolts? I ask because the video I linked shows a male type socket and I don't mind spending the $$ to get the right tool for the job.

awdmofo

underscore":27pwlorp said:
You can buy the sockets, but the ones I've found are in sets and pricey (considering how little I'd use them) so I usually cheat and get a bolt and 2 or 3 nuts that are the size you need and in the highest grade available. Tighten them together and weld the last nut to the shaft of the bolt, then just use a normal socket on that to remove the bolts.
:nono: aren't the sockets like $10??? lol

underscore

awdmofo":1i9fk4k5 said:
underscore":1i9fk4k5 said:
:nono: aren't the sockets like $10??? lol

Maybe, to me that's still a lot for one socket I'll use once or twice. I needed a 14mm for my Jeep and I could only find it in a big $30 set so I built that for $2.

alltracman78

awdmofo":2nnpv4h7 said:
Locker":2nnpv4h7 said:

If this is correct, does that mean the mr2 3s-gte has different bolts? I ask because the video I linked shows a male type socket and I don't mind spending the $$ to get the right tool for the job.

It's not correct. Stock headbolts use a male 12 point socket.
If you have studs, then you'd use a regular socket.

awdmofo

RedCelicaTRD":11sk627b said:
Also, are you switching over to studs or will you be using stock bolts again?

Was thinking to just use the stock ones again, and it says to torq to 36ft/lbs. I have a torq wrench so that shouldn't be a problem. Any reason to switch over studs? This is a minor rebuild for a stock turbo and simple bolt on mods until I buy a 205 engine/trans and do my 400hp build. Basically trying to do this work on the cheap, but do it right the first time. :|

awdmofo

alltracman78":28x2rxua said:
awdmofo":28x2rxua said:
Locker":28x2rxua said:

I believe we have a winner. Alltracman thanks for the input, Locker your :nono: fired :nono: lol. Redcelica your awesome, and as always underscore you make me :rofl: :rofl: . but thanks though... Now to figure out how to get the intake manifold off, then the T-belt, and then the turbo. should take me a few days of poke around after work to get the head off.

Locker

alltracman78":1xlfe3ma said:
awdmofo":1xlfe3ma said:
Locker":1xlfe3ma said:

Sorry you guys are right! I used a 6 point male allen type bit. I wouldn't suggest it unless you're replacing them though...

awdmofo

No worries, I'm learning everyday I work on this guy. I hope to get the timing belt off and maybe Intake manifold off tonight after work, should be fun... :roll:

RedCelicaTRD

You'll need to measure the head bolts to see if they have stretched and are no longer reusable. I would go with a set of studs, especially if you are going to use a metal head gasket.

awdmofo

RedCelicaTRD":2a4bwtox said:
You'll need to measure the head bolts to see if they have stretched and are no longer reusable. I would go with a set of studs, especially if you are going to use a metal head gasket.

I guess i'll have to measure them? should the specs be in my Toyota repair manual?

Found this set of 4 sockets that are all 12 point, 6mm 8mm 10mm and 12mm. The 12mm was the correct fit!! only cost me $5.99 :D at Oreillys.