New ST165 in PA

lnumbp

Hello Gang! I just recently picked up an '88 ST165. I purchased it in Washington and drove it all the way across the country to my home in PA. The trip went well; the car didn't let me down!

That said, she needs some love. I'll likely be installing all new brakes, coilovers, and otherwise refreshing the suspension components including bushings. I also have an exhaust leak at the flexible section. I think I'll end up just replacing the entire exhaust with a 2.5" custom piece, although I haven't found a local shop yet to do it.

I'm excited to make an effort to bring this car back to glory. I'm also excited to have access to all of the knowledge here on this forum.

mx6er2587

wow that's dedication (and daring in an untested alltrac lol)

Where in PA are you? I also just brought a trac home to PA from Washington but mine made the journey on the back of car carrier.

lnumbp

Hey gang! I'll take some pictures of the car later this week to document it's current condition. The car was actually for sale earlier this year on this very board!

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=51583

I knew I was taking a risk driving an untested car, but I'm very familiar with maintaining old Toyotas and spent 1 week living with the car out in Washington state before actually setting off on the drive. It was one heck of an adventure.

I think I found the exhaust that I want for the car. XSPower offers a 2.5" system with fairly stock looking muffler tips for under $500. Do you guys have any thoughts on this kit?

http://xs-power.com/toyota-exhaust-catbacks-1.htm

Thanks for the warm welcome!

lnumbp

I'm currently living in Erie, PA. I actually just sold my '85 Supra down your way.

mx6er2587":1nv5y9cw said:
wow that's dedication (and daring in an untested alltrac lol)

Where in PA are you? I also just brought a trac home to PA from Washington but mine made the journey on the back of car carrier.

lnumbp":29pw5ij7 said:
I think I found the exhaust that I want for the car. XSPower offers a 2.5" system with fairly stock looking muffler tips for under $500. Do you guys have any thoughts on this kit?

http://xs-power.com/toyota-exhaust-catbacks-1.htm

Thanks for the warm welcome!
I recall seeing a thread somewhere on this board where someone bought that exhaust and it ended up fitting very poorly. Congrats though! I remember that post, looks like a solid car.

mx6er2587

I think the issue was the mid pipes were for an st205 which has a slightly different routing then the 165/185. Not sure if they ever corrected the problem.

mx6er2587

yes that was it. Starting to come back to me. I believe the issue was if you ordered just the mid pipe you received an ST205 part, but If you bought the complete exhaust the fitment was "ok." Still going to need some minor tweaks but pretty close.

lnumbp

Thanks for the heads up on the exhaust. I'm a bit more hesitant to give it a shot, but options are pretty scarce it seems.