205 Shifter or not?

freddie

I have a 205 gear lever assembly sitting beside me and looking at it..

The question I ask is, should I use it with my 205 engine and transmission transplant into my 165? And what about the 205 cables? They all came with my 205 half cut purchase.

I note the lever assembly is quite different to to that of the 165 and 185. I have read snakeeater's view topic #520, but nobody responded to his blog.

Also somewhere here I read a article about making your own short shifter but I cant find it now (frustrating). I remember most of it but cannot remember how much longer you make the bottom section of the lever? (I think it was 25mm - 1")? I am not interested in making the lever shorter in length (and having to reach down to change gears), only to reduce the lever travel.

Should I use the 205 shifter? Or stick with the 165?
Is it worthwhile to modify this leaver into a short shifter? Or is the gate fine as it is?

Thanks for your help (in anticipation)

underscore

If I remember right, the RHD shifters are directed slight right, and the LHD shifters slightly left, so things may end up in a slightly different place when it's all done. Also going off memory I think the "cheap" 165/185 short shifter was using a slightly modified 7th gen short shifter, but I can't be sure.

paladek

you are fine....use the 205 shifter assy, it bolts right in the 165 place....it actually provides a sorter shift than the original 165 but you have to use the original 165 cables (the 205 cable are a bit longer than the 165 but ultimately you can still use them, you just need to be a bit creative....)

Underscore is right. the RHD shifter are slightly bent right, so if that bothers you, you can bend it left and backwards (cold bent....using a press) ...That's what I did long time ago with my setup....

regards

freddie

Thanks Underscore and Paladek for your reply.

So I will clean it up and use the 205 shifter. No I won't modify it, just use it as it is. For the past year or so it has been used as a wheel chock lol.

The offset in the lever is just to make the top central to the plastic framework and mounting and perhaps the consul. the lever is offset to the left (looking at it with the cables pointing forward). This shifter came from a JDM car. Japan is RHD and so is Australia, So no problems there.

If you wanted to, you could turn the lever around to have it offset the other way. What you do is pull the assembly apart, knock out 2 pins through the plastic bit to the lever. The rotating steel ball is only press fitted over the lever (spline fit). Press the lever off the ball, turn it round and re-fit. Then re-assemble all the bits.

Ryan, sorry mate, my 165 gear knob is a TRD leather one and I will be re-using it. The 205 one is stuffed.