PS Pump Identification

pdqubet

Searched for info on power steering pump info, but nothing came up. My question is, are all 5th Gen Celica power steering pumps identical? My ST185's pump is shot. I have a rebuilt pump from my '93 GT Convrt, that's been on the shelf. When I started looking up seal kits, the oem genuine Toyota outlets had different #'s for both seal kit and ps pump. As for every other auto store (RockAuto, Advance, etc.), the seal kits and pump are all lumped together. Question two, if AllTrac pumps are different, could someone clear it up for me?

Photo: '93 GT pump (left) and '91 AT pump (right)

Thanks for any info.

Peter
NC
'91 AT - Red
'91 AT - Black
'93 GT Convt

Attachments

• Pumps web.jpg
    Pumps web.jpg
    844.1 KB · Views: 1,199

Nitro_Alltrac

ToyoDIY and Lithia Toyota are both show two different part numbers. 44320-20281 show for 2.0L Turbo. 44320-20271 shows for the 2.2L.

The 2.2L might work though. If you have both pumps, compare them. Even with the numbers being different, it might work. Some of the brackets show to be the same between the engines.

alltracman78

Externally the pumps are the same. A 5SFE pump will bolt in just fine.
I'm guessing the internals are slightly different [possibly just different material in the seals?] due to higher RPMs/heat/slightly higher pressure or flow for a heavier front & wider tires.
How much that matters in real life? Probably not much. I think you'll be fine running the 5S pump.

pdqubet

That was my thinking as well, thanks. Both measure to exact dimensions. Just thought I'd ask because the second I say, "what's the worst that can happen?" Ka****ingBOOM! The markings at the vane shaft (A & B) is what sent me down this rabbit hole. :) Thanks again

Peter

yyonline

Internally there are some differences, but they use the same external housing. I'm guessing these internal differences to deal with the 185's extra weight over the 184. But the differences must be pretty minor as most aftermarket companies list a single part number for the 184 and 185 pumps.