Stock ignition max boost

I didn't find anyone that particularly said what a stock limit was.

I drove my car outta the garage with the turbo hooked up for the first time since I built this car. I slowly stepped it up 5psi at a time and when I went for 25psi. I got to 24psi and it felt kinda like I hit a rev limiter at 7000k rpm. I have my rev limiter set at 8250.

Did I experience pre detonation or did I blow the spark out?

I forgot to check to see where my max boost protection was set at. It was set for 250. So i experienced fuel cut. Either way still leaves thw other question whats the max boost I can get away with before I have to throw a few bills?

MrMcQuacker

Hello, We need some more information in order for us to help you, such as, Which generation 3s are you referring to?
Since each generation had its own safety mechanisms.

I would say, most would agree that the st165 should not be pushed beyond 12-15psi assuming your motor can handle it and is in top shape.

st185 I have heard and seen people boost around 17psi, and some even farther than that. But, I would say 17 is a pretty efficient and good point for the ct26 efficiency range.

st205's ct20b has been shown to go beyond 17+ psi and still making power throughout the rpms unlike the predecessor ct26, dies off around the higher rpms. So as far as the ct20b/3rd gen motor, I would not be able to shine light on that due to being lazy to search any farther. Hope this gives you an idea.

Engine is fully built. Injectors are 2000cc, turbo is a 6062.

Basically I know my limiting point will now be on my ignition. I stuck the subject as ignition and left it as that. The ignition is pretty much the only thing that is close to stock.

But gen wise lol um

5s block
5s crank
gen 3 head and intake
Gen 2 distributor
Doc racing exhaust manifold
3 inch straight exhaust out
Dual walbro 255 pumps
Diypnp ecm/megasquirt with ignition control but still single coil and distibutor.

ChrisD

Hitting something like a rev limiter sounds more like a setting in your EMS and not the stock components. When you near the limits you'll get ignition breakup, slight hesitations and such. Stock igniter?

With that said 25psi on a 6062 is quite a lot for the stock ignition to take...

ChrisD":149jlvga said:
Hitting something like a rev limiter sounds more like a setting in your EMS and not the stock components. When you near the limits you'll get ignition breakup, slight hesitations and such. Stock igniter?

With that said 25psi on a 6062 is quite a lot for the stock ignition to take...

I discovered I had the setting in tunerstudio still set at 250kpa and for fuel cut. So I realize that now.

I say stock but I keep forgetting I changed things a little bit this go around during the build.

Using the megasquirt diypnp i installed the LM1815 chip so now im direct ignition control. (Deleted the ignition control module). And I was having a misfire issue and ended up replacing the coil with a (MSD Blaster 2).

But that being said I did rev smoothly with no misses up into I hit the boost fuel cut.

So I now know what I have is good to atleast 24psi.

Chris how much farther do you think it will hold out?

ChrisD

I have no idea! Some seem to have luck with stock distributor setup, where others don't. I have gone coil on plug now but was OK at 370whp before.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Well in the next couple weeks depending on video I'll be posting a page on my car. Hopefully it is performing as expected. Currently I am having issues with my flex fuel bouncing. N by bouncing I mean like from 10 percent to 100 percent and I've seen timing go from 20 to 70 degrees. Which diyautotune is looking into it.

ChrisD":z79wgvrp said:
Did you use a shielded wire for the flex signal wire?

I didn't use one cause I was told that I didn't need it. I asked them about shielding it and he said I shouldn't need to... but can't hurt. I just haven't had a chance to run a new wire n try the shielded wire yet. I have a few brackets to make still. But hopefully I can get it all done soon so the car can see the road before the snow gets here.