Quick 185 clutch/flywheel combo question

awdmofo

my rebuild of my 90 means the engine and trans are going to be out of the car. Backstory... 223k miles on a blown head gasket car, dude seems legit and a few things about the car i've discovered are not lies so i tend to believe him. he said the clutch was replaced recently and works fine. My question is, since I will have the trans out should I just throw a lightweight flywheel in her, and a new clutch? if yes what would be the best for a 300-330bhp build (CT20b,intake/DP,3" exht, 205 WTA IC and a little boost on stock ECU)? Thanks, this will be fun/weekend car not my daily. Also If i'm touching the trans should I have anything else checked or replaced while its out? THANKS! :D :notworthy: :notworthy:

audiodjmp77

Have you done the "hoses from hell"? How much meat is on the clutch plate? If there is not a lot on there. I'd look at an excedy stage 2 clutch kit. This comes with the pressure plate and bearing. The only thing is when you move off the clutch is a bit digital (either on or off, not a lot in between)

Sent from my phone. Sorry for any mistakes

SoulArmored

I would put a new clutch and flywheel in. The one in there might not be able to hold the power your looking for. I installed a Prime Clutch (South bend hybrid) and Lightweight flywheel. I believe it was $450 for both when I did my Gen4 swap. Very streetable clutch. My Gen4 is probably making 275whp range.

Corey

I'd recommend an ACT HD clutch with their lightweight flywheel. Having run the stock clutch, an ORC 409 Silent Single Plate, and now this ACT with Lightweight flywheel, I'm very happy with how it drives around town. Bought mine from koracing.

awdmofo

audiodjmp77":1bag9h2c said:
Have you done the "hoses from hell"? How much meat is on the clutch plate? If there is not a lot on there. I'd look at an excedy stage 2 clutch kit. This comes with the pressure plate and bearing. The only thing is when you move off the clutch is a bit digital (either on or off, not a lot in between)

Sent from my phone. Sorry for any mistakes

I will be replacing all the gaskets and hoses, that includes the HFH and the HFHOE. Yea I remember my older brothers clutch being like that, not much inbetween when driving it. He had a 3rd gen swap at about 280-300bhp and a light flywheel and i don't know what kind of clutch but it wasn't OEM.

awdmofo

SoulArmored":1y5yng4o said:
I would put a new clutch and flywheel in. The one in there might not be able to hold the power your looking for. I installed a Prime Clutch (South bend hybrid) and Lightweight flywheel. I believe it was $450 for both when I did my Gen4 swap. Very streetable clutch. My Gen4 is probably making 275whp range.

Nice, I think this engine and trans is a temp set up, maybe 1-2 years before the 400-450hp beast engine gets put in. So at around 300bhp I would prefer the clutch be able to be beat on a little and be able to handle that kind of power. I'll check them out, thanks.

awdmofo

Corey":c5fr0mb4 said:
I'd recommend an ACT HD clutch with their lightweight flywheel. Having run the stock clutch, an ORC 409 Silent Single Plate, and now this ACT with Lightweight flywheel, I'm very happy with how it drives around town. Bought mine from koracing.

is the flywheel ACT as well? I've heard good things about ACT, not the cheapest out there but supposed good quality. How long have you run it and what power are you putting down? This will need to be a streetable car, I guess I should have said that before.

awdmofo

Corey":3s32pfbs said:
Right, its an ACT flywheel also.

I've had it on the car for 4 years now, with approx 50K km on it. It's seen brutal winters and hot summers and an autocross event, great clutch thus far.

My car is maybe making 260bhp. But the clutch is rated to 390ftlbs of torque.

http://koracing.net/viewproduct.php?fol ... roduct=536

http://koracing.net/viewproduct.php?fol ... roduct=537

Corey thank you for the response. It looks like Im going ACT unless plans change when I drop the engine/trans finally in the next 4-6 days and get the block to the machine shop for measurements and to get an idea what its going to cost to rebuild the engine. Im not going near the 400 tq numbers so thanks for letting me know the abilities. :D