Axle nut broke off. Need to locate driver side front axle.

Scrap Metal

How common is this. Had an unexpected wheel bearing failure on the freeway. Axle nut broke completely off and the rotor damaged the caliper bracket.

Now I need a driver front axle but local parts stores don't seem to have them. Toyota shows a different part number between st184 and st185. What ate the differences?

I also need a caliper bracket.

Pics to follow....

Scrap Metal

I did see the ones from rock auto...but can anyone confirm they are actually the turbo axles?

I think a combination of the wheel bearing failure and over torqued nut probably did it. The weird thing was there was no warning with this bearing failure. I already replaced the passenger bearing which eliminated the whooshing sound. I haven't touched the driver side but previous owner I'm sure has.

Scrap Metal

Looks promising. The Cardone parts on rock auto show different part numbers for the caliper bracket and cv half shafts for st184 vs st185. Looks like I'll order from there since the dealer wants $500.

MWP

Its actually fairly common.
Ive had it happen once, and ive seen it happen on a few other GT4s.
I believe it happens due to over-torquing the nut, or it loosening off and then continuing to drive around on it.

Why do you need a full shaft? Its just the CV joint thats broken.
Find a local drive shaft repair shop and have them put a new CV joint on it.

FC Zach

MWP":1r1xbkeu said:
Why do you need a full shaft? Its just the CV joint thats broken.
Find a local drive shaft repair shop and have them put a new CV joint on it.

Beyond economical repair in my opinion. The cost to have that repair done will most likely exceed the price of a new/reman axle which can be ordered if not already in stock from almost any parts store for about $50. .

Kurt_st185_gt4

Scrap Metal":ppnuqyet said:
I did see the ones from rock auto...but can anyone confirm they are actually the turbo axles?

I think a combination of the wheel bearing failure and over torqued nut probably did it. The weird thing was there was no warning with this bearing failure. I already replaced the passenger bearing which eliminated the whooshing sound. I haven't touched the driver side but previous owner I'm sure has.

I can confirm they are st185(turbo) parts. I bought one for my front right a couple of months ago. I bought the $80 cardone half shaft and they are interchangable. Also you should replace the hub while you're at it.Take it from me. after my cv axle nut snapped off I went through 3 wheel bearings before my hub shredded its self. The hubs are pretty pricey at $120 if you can find them at that price and make sure there's no damage to the the bearing seat on the knuckle. What I did was visit a local pull a part that had a fwd celica with a 5 bolt hub (front knuckles are the same as st185) and pulled it off and took it home for $38. Got home and no assembly required and slapped it on.

awdmofo

Doing an engine rebuild and just removed both axels. pass side has a pretty bad torn boot. Was thinking of taking it to get rebuilt but if it is cheap to just get a rebuilt one and give up mine as a core I should do both sides even though only one is messed up?? what are you guys paying for two rebuilt ST185 front axels? Rather replace a bunch of small things while I have the engine out and the suspension accessible too!
:D

FC Zach

awdmofo":2jlz0ond said:
should do both sides even though only one is messed up?? what are you guys paying for two rebuilt ST185 front axels?

If you have the same luck as I had with mine. . You'll replace only what's necessary but shortly afterwards you'll have to replace the other side :( Even with that said, I wouldn't worry with the opposite side unless it's questionable. I got three (yes three. . . one was defective :x ) from O'reillys for less than $50 each.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/s...tParts&utm_campaign=Catalog&utm_source=Header

MWP

FC Zach":141puchh said:
Beyond economical repair in my opinion. The cost to have that repair done will most likely exceed the price of a new/reman axle which can be ordered if not already in stock from almost any parts store for about $50. .

Seriously?
... i need to move to the US :cry:

FC Zach

MWP":3dmkrij5 said:
FC Zach":3dmkrij5 said:

Seriously?

Ha ha, yeah :)

Scrap Metal

Autozone, Napa, Pepboys, and O'Reillys don't have them in stock and can't order them (that's what they told me). Rock Auto is my best bet so far unless a local rebuild shop will be cheaper.

FC Zach":xkkbkn1v said:
MWP":xkkbkn1v said:
FC Zach":xkkbkn1v said:

Seriously?

Ha ha, yeah :)

FC Zach

Scrap Metal":32y3gf31 said:
. . . and O'Reillys don't have them in stock and can't order them (that's what they told me). Rock Auto is my best bet so far unless a local rebuild shop will be cheaper.

Well they're lying to you, it sure would be sad if you ordered it online and had it shipped to that store. . . That's what I would do to avoid having to ship a core and let the store take care of it. I think they're being lazy.

What's your location?

Scrap Metal

Edit. O'Reillys has the option to order online $50. The others az, pb, Napa don't show on their website

O'Reilly's also has the caliper bracket!!
You can see how discolored it got from overheating in the area where the rotor rubbed

32489265925_2423b1a25f_k.jpg

awdmofo

FC Zach":3nb6b8m9 said:
awdmofo":3nb6b8m9 said:
should do both sides even though only one is messed up?? what are you guys paying for two rebuilt ST185 front axels?

If you have the same luck as I had with mine. . You'll replace only what's necessary but shortly afterwards you'll have to replace the other side :( Even with that said, I wouldn't worry with the opposite side unless it's questionable. I got three (yes three. . . one was defective :x ) from O'reillys for less than $50 each.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/s...tParts&utm_campaign=Catalog&utm_source=Header

Yea I think just new boots and have a local shop rebuild would be fine. no need to rip it out again if I already have it appart.

Kurt_st185_gt4

If you haven't fixed the snapped side yet it's worth it to measure the outer diameter of the bearing seat int the hub and the inner diameter of the bearing seat on the knuckle just to make sure they are within tolerance and not shaved down. Take it from me. I went through 3 bearings in two months.

mx6er2587

should ask the seller. He is on this site. No clue what the difference between this and a rock auto axle is though.