Axle nut broke off. Need to locate driver side front axle.

JDM GT Four, ST185RC and ST205.

Axle nut broke off. Need to locate driver side front axle.

Postby Scrap Metal » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:06 am

How common is this. Had an unexpected wheel bearing failure on the freeway. Axle nut broke completely off and the rotor damaged the caliper bracket.

Now I need a driver front axle but local parts stores don't seem to have them. Toyota shows a different part number between st184 and st185. What ate the differences?

I also need a caliper bracket.

Pics to follow....
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Scrap Metal
Club Member
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:21 am

Re: Axle nut broke off. Need to locate driver side front axl

Postby zaluss » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:26 pm

Not common. Maybe the nut wasn't torqued properly?

Refurb are available for the front.

http://www.cardone.com/Products/Product ... &jsn=10451
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyo ... embly,2288

IIRC the front left and right not are interchangeable even though they specify it fits left and right. I could be wrong though.

A-1 CARDONE 605031 {#4341020321, 4341020490, 4342020271} Reman. Info
FitsFront Left
OrFront Right
zaluss
Club Member
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:41 pm
Location: Renton, WA

Re: Axle nut broke off. Need to locate driver side front axl

Postby mx6er2587 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:41 pm

Front outer axles are interchangeable left and right
mx6er2587
Established Member
 
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:08 am
Location: Pittsburgh PA

Re: Axle nut broke off. Need to locate driver side front axl

Postby Scrap Metal » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:24 pm

I did see the ones from rock auto...but can anyone confirm they are actually the turbo axles?

I think a combination of the wheel bearing failure and over torqued nut probably did it. The weird thing was there was no warning with this bearing failure. I already replaced the passenger bearing which eliminated the whooshing sound. I haven't touched the driver side but previous owner I'm sure has.
Scrap Metal
Club Member
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:21 am

Re: Axle nut broke off. Need to locate driver side front axl

Postby Scrap Metal » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:30 pm

Looks promising. The Cardone parts on rock auto show different part numbers for the caliper bracket and cv half shafts for st184 vs st185. Looks like I'll order from there since the dealer wants $500.
Scrap Metal
Club Member
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:21 am

Re: Axle nut broke off. Need to locate driver side front axl

Postby MWP » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:26 am

Its actually fairly common.
Ive had it happen once, and ive seen it happen on a few other GT4s.
I believe it happens due to over-torquing the nut, or it loosening off and then continuing to drive around on it.

Why do you need a full shaft? Its just the CV joint thats broken.
Find a local drive shaft repair shop and have them put a new CV joint on it.
My collection of GT4 documentation: http://gt4.mwp.id.au
Daily: Celica GT4 ST185 (~170kw/atw)
Project: Toyota RA28 '77 Celica (1UZ-FE powered)
Chairman of the SA Classic Celica Club.
MWP
Established Member
 
Posts: 1591
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:02 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Axle nut broke off. Need to locate driver side front axl

Postby FC Zach » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:42 am

MWP wrote:Why do you need a full shaft? Its just the CV joint thats broken.
Find a local drive shaft repair shop and have them put a new CV joint on it.


Beyond economical repair in my opinion. The cost to have that repair done will most likely exceed the price of a new/reman axle which can be ordered if not already in stock from almost any parts store for about $50. .
1992 Toyota Celica AllTrac
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
1979 Yamaha G1A, rotary powered with Sachs KM24
1976 Hercules W2000, oil injected
User avatar
FC Zach
Club Member
 
Posts: 818
Images: 9
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 7:43 am
Location: Eagleville, TN

1992 Toyota Celica

Re: Axle nut broke off. Need to locate driver side front axl

Postby Kurt_st185_gt4 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:38 am

Scrap Metal wrote:I did see the ones from rock auto...but can anyone confirm they are actually the turbo axles?

I think a combination of the wheel bearing failure and over torqued nut probably did it. The weird thing was there was no warning with this bearing failure. I already replaced the passenger bearing which eliminated the whooshing sound. I haven't touched the driver side but previous owner I'm sure has.


I can confirm they are st185(turbo) parts. I bought one for my front right a couple of months ago. I bought the $80 cardone half shaft and they are interchangable. Also you should replace the hub while you're at it.Take it from me. after my cv axle nut snapped off I went through 3 wheel bearings before my hub shredded its self. The hubs are pretty pricey at $120 if you can find them at that price and make sure there's no damage to the the bearing seat on the knuckle. What I did was visit a local pull a part that had a fwd celica with a 5 bolt hub (front knuckles are the same as st185) and pulled it off and took it home for $38. Got home and no assembly required and slapped it on.
Kurt_st185_gt4
Club Member
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:50 pm
Location: Landstuhl

1990 Toyota Celica

Re: Axle nut broke off. Need to locate driver side front axl

Postby awdmofo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:47 am

Doing an engine rebuild and just removed both axels. pass side has a pretty bad torn boot. Was thinking of taking it to get rebuilt but if it is cheap to just get a rebuilt one and give up mine as a core I should do both sides even though only one is messed up?? what are you guys paying for two rebuilt ST185 front axels? Rather replace a bunch of small things while I have the engine out and the suspension accessible too!
:D
1990 All-trac current money pit (being rebuilt) :roll:
2013 Camaro LS 6-sp (daily)

2005 Yamaha R6 (sold)
2001 Spider (sold)
1990 alltrac (sold)
1991 MR2 turbo x2 (Sold)
User avatar
awdmofo
Club Member
 
Posts: 123
Images: 7
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 3:06 am

Re: Axle nut broke off. Need to locate driver side front axl

Postby FC Zach » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:25 am

awdmofo wrote:should do both sides even though only one is messed up?? what are you guys paying for two rebuilt ST185 front axels?


If you have the same luck as I had with mine. . You'll replace only what's necessary but shortly afterwards you'll have to replace the other side :( Even with that said, I wouldn't worry with the opposite side unless it's questionable. I got three (yes three. . . one was defective :x ) from O'reillys for less than $50 each.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/CV+Half+Shaft+!s!+Axle+Shaft/01424/C0362.oap?year=1992&make=Toyota&model=Celica&vi=1274194&utm_medium=Yext&utm_content=ReplacementParts&utm_campaign=Catalog&utm_source=Header
1992 Toyota Celica AllTrac
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
1979 Yamaha G1A, rotary powered with Sachs KM24
1976 Hercules W2000, oil injected
User avatar
FC Zach
Club Member
 
Posts: 818
Images: 9
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 7:43 am
Location: Eagleville, TN

1992 Toyota Celica

Re: Axle nut broke off. Need to locate driver side front axl

Postby MWP » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:25 pm

FC Zach wrote:Beyond economical repair in my opinion. The cost to have that repair done will most likely exceed the price of a new/reman axle which can be ordered if not already in stock from almost any parts store for about $50. .


Seriously?
... i need to move to the US :cry:
My collection of GT4 documentation: http://gt4.mwp.id.au
Daily: Celica GT4 ST185 (~170kw/atw)
Project: Toyota RA28 '77 Celica (1UZ-FE powered)
Chairman of the SA Classic Celica Club.
MWP
Established Member
 
Posts: 1591
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:02 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Axle nut broke off. Need to locate driver side front axl

Postby FC Zach » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:14 pm

MWP wrote:
FC Zach wrote:Beyond economical repair in my opinion. The cost to have that repair done will most likely exceed the price of a new/reman axle which can be ordered if not already in stock from almost any parts store for about $50. .


Seriously?
... i need to move to the US :cry:


Ha ha, yeah :)
1992 Toyota Celica AllTrac
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
1979 Yamaha G1A, rotary powered with Sachs KM24
1976 Hercules W2000, oil injected
User avatar
FC Zach
Club Member
 
Posts: 818
Images: 9
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 7:43 am
Location: Eagleville, TN

1992 Toyota Celica

Re: Axle nut broke off. Need to locate driver side front axl

Postby Scrap Metal » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:06 pm

Autozone, Napa, Pepboys, and O'Reillys don't have them in stock and can't order them (that's what they told me). Rock Auto is my best bet so far unless a local rebuild shop will be cheaper.

FC Zach wrote:
MWP wrote:
FC Zach wrote:Beyond economical repair in my opinion. The cost to have that repair done will most likely exceed the price of a new/reman axle which can be ordered if not already in stock from almost any parts store for about $50. .


Seriously?
... i need to move to the US :cry:


Ha ha, yeah :)
Scrap Metal
Club Member
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:21 am

Re: Axle nut broke off. Need to locate driver side front axl

Postby FC Zach » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:39 pm

Scrap Metal wrote:. . . and O'Reillys don't have them in stock and can't order them (that's what they told me). Rock Auto is my best bet so far unless a local rebuild shop will be cheaper.


Well they're lying to you, it sure would be sad if you ordered it online and had it shipped to that store. . . That's what I would do to avoid having to ship a core and let the store take care of it. I think they're being lazy.

What's your location?
1992 Toyota Celica AllTrac
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
1979 Yamaha G1A, rotary powered with Sachs KM24
1976 Hercules W2000, oil injected
User avatar
FC Zach
Club Member
 
Posts: 818
Images: 9
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 7:43 am
Location: Eagleville, TN

1992 Toyota Celica

Re: Axle nut broke off. Need to locate driver side front axl

Postby Scrap Metal » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:45 pm

Edit. O'Reillys has the option to order online $50. The others az, pb, Napa don't show on their website

O'Reilly's also has the caliper bracket!!
You can see how discolored it got from overheating in the area where the rotor rubbed

Image
Scrap Metal
Club Member
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:21 am

Next

Return to GT Four Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests