rallywrc

Hi
I am new to the Forum,i am in New Jersey i have a 91 gt4 sitting for 3 yrs needs a motor i have a 3gen motor and trans from a wrc verson i didnt get time to do the swap as yet planning to do it this year,I just want to say Hello to the members on the Forum.

Kurt_st185_gt4

rallywrc":6i8ex04o said:
Hi
I am new to the Forum,i am in New Jersey i have a 91 gt4 sitting for 3 yrs needs a motor i have a 3gen motor and trans from a wrc verson i didnt get time to do the swap as yet planning to do it this year,I just want to say Hello to the members on the Forum.

Welcome to the forum. Good luck on the swap. Do you have any plans to build the gen3 motor while its still out of the car?

rallywrc

I was planning on changing the camshafts and turbo,whats your opinion on the stock internals ? can i change the cams & valve springs without doing anything else to the valve train it looks like the biggest problem with the swap will be the wire harness & the intercooler if i go with front mount & if i decide to keep the water to air i will have to buy a heat exchanger,pump & hoses i didnt get those when i bought the engine.

Kurt_st185_gt4

I wouldn't do cams unless you're buying aftermarket ones. As far as stock internals go I believe most just do cams and turbo swaps. However most blocks after 94 were made with a cheaper quality iron. Will you be using the gen2 ecu to run the gen3?

rallywrc

I didnt know the newer blocks were made cheaper,i would have keep the gen 2 motor but when i purchase the car the motor was bad it had overheated from the previous owner,i am going to use the gen3 ecu

rallywrc

I didnt take the motor apart,but i notice when i started to take things loose to remove the motor areas around the cylinder head & where the hoses & connectors show sign of a white color corrosion leak thats been dried up almost like the motor builds up too much pressure at some point & coolant starts to force its way out i dont really know how to explain it will 2gen block works on a 3gen head ?

Kurt_st185_gt4

Yes a gen3 head will work on a gen2 block. Although the gen2 head flows better than the gen3 the shimless buckets and better flowing intake manifold make it worth it if you're keeping those parts stock. Also I want to say parts for the gen3 head are more expensive than a gen2 head such as cams and manifolds.