ST185 Front Struts

Question on ST185 front strut replacements.

The original ST185 front strut part numbers were 48510-20660 & 48520-20660.

Most other 5th Gen Celica original front strut part numbers were 48510-20680 & 48520-20680.

Some 5th Gen Celica GT-S original front strut part numbers were 48510-20750 & 48520-20750.

Today, all of the above original front strut part numbers supersede to 48510-20751 & 48520-20751.

I'm suspecting there was a reason for unique original part numbers for these 5th Gen Celica's. Now the superseded part number for front struts are the same across the entire 5th Gen Celica line.

Anyone know what was unique about the original part numbers? And where the superseded part number fits in with the originals? (i.e.; if the valving was the only thing different across the original part numbers, how does the current part number valving compare with the originals, or which version is the currently available front strut valved closest to)?

It also appears all aftermarket cartridges available today are the same cartridges across the entire 5th Gen line (same KYB or Monroe cartridges for front struts, regardless if the 5th Gen Celica was an ST, GT, GT-S or All-Trac).

I was contemplating putting in new OEM front struts on an ST185, but not sure if the now common part number is the same strut that originally came with it. Any advice?

underscore

There are a lot of potential reasons for the slightly different part numbers, I doubt many people in the world would have ever known why or known the original valving specs. If the performance specs were close enough (assuming they weren't the same to begin with) for Toyota then I'd wager nobody would ever be able to feel a difference between them.

That is a pretty good perspective. Toyota may have, for financial reasons, felt it not worth the cost to carry unique part numbers in spare inventory, since all these struts were likely dimensionally identical (or near identical). That said, Toyota likely would not have superseded to a common part number strut if the handling of any of these models would have changes significantly, meaning if there was a valving or performance difference, it may not have been more of a tweak in difference rather than a significant one. That does make a lot of sense.

Got the Toyota front struts, mounts and all the accessories. Note that the front struts sold by Toyota now are sealed (no gland nut on top to replace an inner cartridge). That was disappointing. The original front struts actually felt like they were in good shape yet. The rears were toast. Hope the imported KYB rear struts last a long time. Vehicle is about a month away from being done at the body shop for a full restore. Then the new interior with new leather seating and related goes in.

yyonline

Interesting. Any chance you could share a photo of the current Toyota strut top? Nobody makes an aftermarket full replacement strut, only cartridges. So if the current Toyota replacement is a sealed unit, you're stuck having to replace it with another Toyota unit as nobody else makes them.

I'm on the road right now. The All-Trac is just about ready to come back from the body shop (restoration), so if I'm home next week and the car is done, I'll have it to replace the interior. I can take a picture then. But to be honest, the top of the new front struts looks identical to the tops of the rear struts (no gland nuts). I still have the original front struts, and they are the same physical bodies as used on ST184's and AT180's, so I have access to salvage front struts with gland nuts, so I'm not worried about that. Just disappointed Toyota changed the types of front struts on these 5th Gen Celicas.

yyonline

I actually just swapped my summer wheels on to my 93 Celica ST tonight. It has the sealed front struts on it as well, and those were replaced back in 2007. So it looks like Toyota made the switch to the sealed struts sometime prior to then.