Limp mode tow?

Lets talk clutches and everything drivetrain related

Limp mode tow?

Postby Ryan » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:57 pm

could I tow my car on a tow dolly if I put it in fwd limp mode or removing the driveshaft?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Ryan
Club Member

Re: Limp mode tow?

Postby Nobody » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:40 am

Tsrm Does not recomend dolly on front wheels only. Would want to put a dolly on the rear and crane the front up.

If you leave the rears on the ground the front wheels need to spin freely otherwise the drivetrain could heat up and burn out.

Tsrm shows tow strap is OK too. As long as the front's and rears are turning together should be ok. Car in neutral and parking brake off.

Took a screenshot of the page in the tsrm but I'm not seeing a way to upload it.
Nobody
Club Member

Postby MWP » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:50 am

Nobody wrote:Tsrm Does not recomend dolly on front wheels only. Would want to put a dolly on the rear and crane the front up.
If you leave the rears on the ground the front wheels need to spin freely otherwise the drivetrain could heat up and burn out.
Tsrm shows tow strap is OK too. As long as the front's and rears are turning together should be ok. Car in neutral and parking brake off.

That sounds like the TSRM for a ST205.
The ST185's have the FWD selection lever on the gearbox for exactly this purpose.
My collection of GT4 documentation: http://gt4.mwp.id.au
Daily: Celica GT4 ST185 (~170kw/atw)
Project: Toyota RA28 '77 Celica (1UZ-FE powered)
Chairman of the SA Classic Celica Club.
MWP
Established Member

Postby FC Zach » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:24 pm

MWP wrote:
Nobody wrote:Tsrm Does not recomend dolly on front wheels only. Would want to put a dolly on the rear and crane the front up.

The ST185's have the FWD selection lever on the gearbox for exactly this purpose.

It does explain this and show pictured examples of proper towing methods for a 185 in my manual, it never said anything about switching the lever.

I may have overlooked that, I'll have to check to see if that's an option next time I'm in the book.
1992 Toyota Celica AllTrac
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
1979 Yamaha G1A, rotary powered with Sachs KM24
1976 Hercules W2000, oil injected
FC Zach
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby 88_ST165 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:25 pm

Ryan wrote:could I tow my car on a tow dolly if I put it in fwd limp mode or removing the driveshaft?

Yes you can, IF you disconnect the driveshaft at the rear diff, and make SURE you're using a dolly that is supporting front wheels IE: no flat tow (front wheels turning).

You wont have to adjust the AWD/FWD mode selector.
Dave MacLaurin
- 1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 (5mt)
- 1971 Datsun 240Z (Series 1, EFI, 5mt)
- 1972 Toyota Celica ST (4AGE Bluetop, 5mt)
- 1988 Toyota Celica Turbo 4WD
- 1989 Toyota Celica GT-S
88_ST165
Club Member

Postby underscore » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:18 pm

If you use the selector I believe you need to tow it with the front wheels on the ground and the rear wheels in the air, otherwise you'll break things. Make absolutely sure you put the selector in the correct position and put the bolt back in tightly, there's a story of a guy who dyno'd in 2WD mode but didn't put the bolt in, the selector shook out of 2WD mode while on the dyno and things got broken.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby MWP » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:39 am

underscore wrote:If you use the selector I believe you need to tow it with the front wheels on the ground and the rear wheels in the air, otherwise you'll break things.

What would break?
My collection of GT4 documentation: http://gt4.mwp.id.au
Daily: Celica GT4 ST185 (~170kw/atw)
Project: Toyota RA28 '77 Celica (1UZ-FE powered)
Chairman of the SA Classic Celica Club.
MWP
Established Member

Postby FC Zach » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:23 pm

FC Zach wrote:
MWP wrote:

It does explain this and show pictured examples of proper towing methods for a 185 in my manual, it never said anything about switching the lever.
Hi
I may have overlooked that, I'll have to check to see if that's an option next time I'm in the book.

There are specific instructions in regards to towing, within the manual. I double checked and nothing is mentioned about the use of this selector.

Edit: ". . nothing is mentioned about the use of this selector." Except to leave alone "no special operation necessary".
1992 Toyota Celica AllTrac
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
1979 Yamaha G1A, rotary powered with Sachs KM24
1976 Hercules W2000, oil injected
FC Zach
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby underscore » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:33 pm

MWP wrote:
underscore wrote:If you use the selector I believe you need to tow it with the front wheels on the ground and the rear wheels in the air, otherwise you'll break things.

What would break?

It's a piece inside the transmission, from memory it's the part that the selector moves to disconnect the rear wheels. It can handle moving a few feet, but if the rear wheels turn at any significant speed it will break.

edit: from here: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=43503&start=30

loudstealthGT-Four wrote:
sleeper wrote:There is a guy here with a (tjdubble07) who tuned his high hp car in 2wd mode, and if i`m not remembering wrong, he found out that the gearbox would take about 500ft punds before it broke in fwd mode.

HAHA yea just DON'T drive on the road in FWD mode as it only takes a couple minutes for this to happen

which is this part in the centre diff
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Return to Drivetrain Central