Insanity-74s ST205 Rally Hybrid build

Insanity-74

aus jd 2703":qkpusdag said:
insanity whats your trade? ie job?
curious if you are getting this good of a result with a DIY paint job, maybe there is hope for me giving it a go lol

awesome work eitherway

Thanks 8)

My job....i work in an office mostly and on work sites, i am a Senior Project Planner.

Insanity-74

Coming along nicely. Although today I learned don't close the bonnet before attaching the bonnet pull cable........does anyone have a bonnet pull cable for sale :)

r

Insanity-74

Starting to put things back together now. the bodywork needs a bit of flat polishing to get it perfect like a mirror, i have done the roof and it has come up amazing, well pleased.

Insanity-74

Thanks, things should move along quite nicely with only my bank balance holding me back, hopefully this month will be wheels or brake pads, one or the other but i have a good deal on some 18" Revolution Milleniums 8) which will expire by the end of the month so i expect it might be wheels :)

Insanity-74

Hi all. Had a few ups and downs over the past couple of months. The engine still isnt done although waiting patiently for it. Wheels should be here in the next couple of weeks. I noticed a dent in the rear quarter panel so had to strip the paint off and start again, although its winter so will wait until the summer. FMIC has arrived although not fitted yet.....theres nothing to fit it too :) i have been doing some messing around with the rear spoiler, nothing serious, i dont know if it will make it onto the finished car or not, but it helps pass the winter months. I always had a soft spot for the Ferrari f40, especially the GT version and its "different rear wing" so i thought i might have a go at replicating it on an old wing inwas going to throw out. So i cut the centre section out.

I then bought myself a double stack cheapo universal rear wing from ebay. It was too wide and i didnt need the end plates but otherwise it was perfect. So i made new end plates.

Then bolted it all togther, pretty easy stuff. I still need to attach the oem wind ends to it but i am waiting for a delivery of epoxy resin to come. So i did a quick mock up. It still needs all bolting togther and mounting on the raiser blocks, but you get the idea.

I like it more than i thought i would, but i dont know if it will make it onto the finished car or not or just be a bit of fun.

Cant remember if i posted this already, but i also fitted one of the oil coolers, but this has been removed to refine the mounting positions as i found some perfect rubber mounting blocks on ebay so just waiting for them to arrive. I also have to move the welded on FMIC mounting points...doh.... which are only 20mm out, but if its not right.....its wrong :)

This is the wing i am trying to replicate

MWP

Thats an interesting idea... itll great to see how it looks when all painted and fitted up. Nice work :)

Insanity-74

These will cool the engine oil and the gearbox oil. all stainless fittings and correctly rubber mounted.

In front of those is the FMIC also with stainless fittings and rubber mounted.

Oh, and the finished....ish, rear wing.....dont like it.

URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/nialusa/media/Celica%20Rebuild/IMG_0303_zps1aft8y8d.jpg.html]
IMG_0303_zps1aft8y8d.jpg
[/URL]

not sure if i like it or not, will leave it for the time being until i decide what to do with it

But enough of that, back to the serious stuff.

MWP

mx6er2587":1h2x21uz said:
did you try the wing without the risers? It might look better down a little lower

Yeah, agreed.
And maybe try mounting the side plates down a tad lower on the original sides.

Insanity-74

rallygarage":1dbii0rx said:
You have the original? Then why do a mockup and not copy original?

A couple of reasons really, firstly i have the SS4 front bumper so the originals no longer fit. Secondly i dont like them much, big ugly things, great for rallying, not great for a show car. And finally they take 10" lamps and 10" lamps are very expensive for x6. This one only takes 4 160mm lamps which are less than 1/4 the price of the 10".

Also wheres the challenge of copying the originals :D i like to suffer the pain of starting from scratch :twisted: and then i will have the only set 8)