1991 gt4 rc legit....

rrain3288

Ok guys ... if facing a moral dilemma. Iv come across a gt4rc and it's legit....not just a gt4 with an rd bumper and hood. So I have a 92 alltrac that I just built a gen4 2.2 stroker for .... but no matter how much I want I can't afford to have 2 Celica's so what do I do ....
take the stock engine from the rc and install it in my Trac and sell it. Then install the 2.2 into the rc and have a modified gt4rc.
Or keep the rc stock... (It honestly hurts me to think of modifying such a rare car)then sell my alltrac as a rolling chassis. Basicly complete minus the engine. And hold on to the stroker for future dreams.
Installing the striker Into my alltrac isn't feasible. Because I'd never be able to sell it for anything close to what I have into it.
Let me know what you think ...iv lost alot of sleep over this......

pintoBC_3sgte

I say get it, swap engines and sell your trac. That's is you have the time.
But you will need to run a fmic if you put it into the rc, unless you already are lol

alltracman78

But why on earth would you want to buy an RC just to tear it apart?
The performance improvement over a regular 185 is easy to get; so the only reason to get an RC is to have an RC. It would be a shame to get it only to tear it apart.

If you want the look get an RC hood, bumper and decals. A lot less hassle than driving a RHD car and dealing with trying to find parts for a car NO ONE has.

Corey

I personally would keep the RC engine in the RC... kinda the whole point. :shrug:

Edit: I guess it comes down to asking "what makes an RC, an RC". Is it the different hood and bumper, or drivetrain (of which the transmission, rear diff, head, intercooler, AFM and turbo are all different), or that the clutch pedal has more throw (less travel) than the standard Four, or that the suspension parts are apparently different also.... maybe its simply the fact that it has a special chassis number? and therefore doesn't matter what is powering it?

Does removing the engine and swapping it with something obviously more powerful and reliable, have the side effect of also removing what makes an RC, an RC in the first place?

Guess it depends on what you consider important about the car's identity....

Corey

I suppose another way to look at it is this: If you swapped every RC specific part into a standard Four, would that make it an RC? Most people would argue no, because it doesn't have the chassis number.... so maybe that's the answer there.

rrain3288

And there is the problem. The thought of gutting an rc is frightening .
My original plan was to keep it as mint as possible I don't mind upgrading it. But only if the upgrades were impossible to notice. Something like 2.2 internals and possibly a 205 ecu swap but still keeping the afm in place for the looks of bone stock.but for a $2500 dollar car (yes im paying 2500 i will explain after i pick it up) i have alot of room to play.

underscore

I'd say buy it, sell your shell and keep the motor. Drive the RC, and if you feel like you needs to make crazy changes to enjoy it then sell it to someone who wants a real RC for a tidy profit. Assuming this thing isn't trashed it's worth a hell of a lot more than $2500, a clean but well-used one sold for $15k USD recently.

alltracman78":f75p2xtw said:
But why on earth would you want to buy an RC just to tear it apart?
The performance improvement over a regular 185 is easy to get; so the only reason to get an RC is to have an RC. It would be a shame to get it only to tear it apart.

If you want the look get an RC hood, bumper and decals. A lot less hassle than driving a RHD car and dealing with trying to find parts for a car NO ONE has.

Exactly this. I've seen so many of them torn apart and have all the RC-specific parts ripped out of them. At that point they've killed a 1 of 1800 car and they just have a Celica with a fancy hood and bumper.

rrain3288":f75p2xtw said:
And there is the problem. The thought of gutting an rc is frightening .
My original plan was to keep it as mint as possible I don't mind upgrading it. But only if the upgrades were impossible to notice. Something like 2.2 internals and possibly a 205 ecu swap but still keeping the afm in place for the looks of bone stock.but for a $2500 dollar car (yes im paying 2500 i will explain after i pick it up) i have alot of room to play.

You can't fun a 2.2 on any stock ECU as far as I know, so now you're throwing away a bunch of stuff...

Corey":f75p2xtw said:
I personally would keep the RC engine in the RC... kinda the whole point. :shrug:

Edit: I guess it comes down to asking "what makes an RC, an RC". Is it the different hood and bumper, or drivetrain (of which the transmission, rear diff, head, intercooler, AFM and turbo are all different), or that the clutch pedal has more throw (less travel) than the standard Four, or that the suspension parts are apparently different also.... maybe its simply the fact that it has a special chassis number? and therefore doesn't matter what is powering it?

Does removing the engine and swapping it with something obviously more powerful and reliable, have the side effect of also removing what makes an RC, an RC in the first place?

Guess it depends on what you consider important about the car's identity....

To me it's about the differences, and keeping as many of them as possible. Mine has got an extensive mod list but I've done my best to avoid changing anything that made this car special in the first place. If you throw away everything but the hood, bumper and VIN you no longer have an RC, and as I said above, you just killed a 1 of 1800 car. Considering how many of these I've seen killed over the years (either modified or actually crushed) it wouldn't surprise me if they're well down into the triple digit number of real ones left.

GT4times2

rrain3288":2t8p8fz6 said:
Ok guys ... if facing a moral dilemma. Iv come across a gt4rc and it's legit....not just a gt4 with an rd bumper and hood. So I have a 92 alltrac that I just built a gen4 2.2 stroker for .... but no matter how much I want I can't afford to have 2 Celica's so what do I do ....
take the stock engine from the rc and install it in my Trac and sell it. Then install the 2.2 into the rc and have a modified gt4rc.
Or keep the rc stock... (It honestly hurts me to think of modifying such a rare car)then sell my alltrac as a rolling chassis. Basicly complete minus the engine. And hold on to the stroker for future dreams.
Installing the striker Into my alltrac isn't feasible. Because I'd never be able to sell it for anything close to what I have into it.
Let me know what you think ...iv lost alot of sleep over this......

Nothing to lose sleep over at this point. For the price you're getting it for, buy it. Have them both in your possession, and think it over, then and there. It'll be a real choice. Less regretful. Right now, everything is on paper.

What's the real reason you want an RC anyways? (One of the first questions to ask yourself)...well at the price you mention, it's really a no brainer.

1. If it's to collect, buy it and leave it alone or keep it tastefully modded. In this modern day, bragging about a car with a different AFM is senseless at best. Even if it's better than a non RC AFM (It's still a restrictive AFM at the end of the day. :roll: ). Who will care?
Do you want the car for bragging rights or do you want to enjoy it? (I get nauseous when I hear people brag about things that serve them no purpose, or have zero clue why they have it in the first place). I guess I hate braggers period.

2. What condition is your All-Trac in? I say keep your engine if you have plans with the stroker motor.

IF you can keep both and keep things to a minimum, I say keep them both (My signature is self explanatory :oops: )