Wont start after driving for a while..

From Tune Ups to Oil Changes, maintenance related

Moderator: toayoztan

Re: Wont start after driving for a while..

Postby underscore » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:07 pm

Which MAF do you have? If you're running an RC MAF and ECU then you'll need another RC ECU. The CS and GrpA ones *should* interchange as well. If you feel like taking a long drive to Kelowna you're welcome to try mine and see if it works any better.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby maxaud » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:43 pm

underscore wrote:Which MAF do you have? If you're running an RC MAF and ECU then you'll need another RC ECU. The CS and GrpA ones *should* interchange as well. If you feel like taking a long drive to Kelowna you're welcome to try mine and see if it works any better.

Yeah, It's all the stock RC stuff currently.
-Dustin
maxaud
GTFour God

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby 3s_woob » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:15 pm

I'm dealing with the same issues. Here's the write ups on the failing capacitors. looks like even if the tracers are bad you can still by pass them with jumper wire.

issues...
http://www.gt4dc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7566

repair
http://www.gt4dc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5617

detailed write up...
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st- ... citor.html

my co-worker is good at soldering and working with circuit boards so he's going to have a crack at it. let you know the outcome.
Ryan
'91 ST-185 RC Conv.
'88 AW11 SC
Seattle, Wa.
3s_woob
Club Member

Postby alltracman78 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:39 am

I don't know if it's your ECU man; the fuel pump doesn't use the ECU to start running, it uses the starter signal for that.
Once you cut the starter THEN the ECU takes over control. So if your ECU is the problem it should start then die.
I'm not going to tell you there's no way it could be the ECU, but it's pretty unlikely IMO. More likely is 1 of the 2 relays for the pump.

The pump control relay is easy to jump if you don't want to spend the money on it. If that doesn't fix it pick up a new COR [Circuit Opening Relay] and throw it in.

As far as your ECU, you "need" an RC ECU. A Grp A or CS one will probably work find also, judging by how the US vs JDM ECUs work.
Also FYI; Either a 92/93 JDM or an RC ECU will both work find plugged into a US 92/93 harness, no wiring needed [The RC will throw a CEL because it doesn't have the IC level sensor hooked up, but the engine will run fine].
With that said, I'm guessing a regular JDM or US 92/93 ECU will run the engine fine plugged into an RC harness. I can tell you with certainty it won't have any problems with the RC AFM because I've ran and RC ECU on a regular AFM and a regular ECU with an RC AFM [I wanted to see what would happen with both. Nothing at all, ECU didn't even notice].
I don't know if either would control the IC pump though. But just to check for starting, I'm guessing they would both work.

Something else you can try is jumping TE2 and E1, leaving the jumper in and seeing if you get any codes when it does that. Unlikely, but worth a shot IMO. And it's free.

I hope that all made sense. GL :)
alltracman78
GTFour God

Postby maxaud » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:58 pm

alltracman78 wrote:I don't know if it's your ECU man; the fuel pump doesn't use the ECU to start running, it uses the starter signal for that.
Once you cut the starter THEN the ECU takes over control. So if your ECU is the problem it should start then die.
I'm not going to tell you there's no way it could be the ECU, but it's pretty unlikely IMO. More likely is 1 of the 2 relays for the pump.

The pump control relay is easy to jump if you don't want to spend the money on it. If that doesn't fix it pick up a new COR [Circuit Opening Relay] and throw it in.

As far as your ECU, you "need" an RC ECU. A Grp A or CS one will probably work find also, judging by how the US vs JDM ECUs work.
Also FYI; Either a 92/93 JDM or an RC ECU will both work find plugged into a US 92/93 harness, no wiring needed [The RC will throw a CEL because it doesn't have the IC level sensor hooked up, but the engine will run fine].
With that said, I'm guessing a regular JDM or US 92/93 ECU will run the engine fine plugged into an RC harness. I can tell you with certainty it won't have any problems with the RC AFM because I've ran and RC ECU on a regular AFM and a regular ECU with an RC AFM [I wanted to see what would happen with both. Nothing at all, ECU didn't even notice].
I don't know if either would control the IC pump though. But just to check for starting, I'm guessing they would both work.

Something else you can try is jumping TE2 and E1, leaving the jumper in and seeing if you get any codes when it does that. Unlikely, but worth a shot IMO. And it's free.

I hope that all made sense. GL :)

Thanks for all the info. I've sent the ECU off to get rebuilt so we will see if that fixes it or if I'm just throwing more money at it and go from there.
-Dustin
maxaud
GTFour God

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby alltracman78 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:05 pm

Cool man :)
Hopefully that fixes it.
alltracman78
GTFour God

Postby FC Zach » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:58 am

maxaud wrote:Was having the issue of not starting this weekend so I bridged the Fp and B+ in the diagnostic port and it started right up. Maybe it's the fuel pump relay but if it's going bad, I'm curious if there is something somewhere else that is making it go bad.

When all signs point to a relay that has been mentioned already and you confirmed operation by bypassing it, why would you speculate an ECU issue? ?

maxaud wrote:. . . I've sent the ECU off to get rebuilt so we will see if that fixes it or if I'm just throwing more money at it and go from there.

Unless you have another underlying issue, I'm afraid you may be doing just that. . Fix the problem before adding more variables. :)
Last edited by FC Zach on Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
1992 Toyota Celica AllTrac
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
1979 Yamaha G1A, rotary powered with Sachs KM24
1976 Hercules W2000, oil injected
FC Zach
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby 88gt4DE » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:34 pm

So fixed ? Find an ECU ?
Rob
1988 ST165 - 77K - Project ---> http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=31483&start=240
2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 - 162K - DD - Thanks 97JZA80
2007 Toyota Rav4 - 110K - My girls DD
1999 Honda Civic - 116K - Highway Runner
88gt4DE
Established Member

Postby maxaud » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:27 pm

88gt4DE wrote:So fixed ? Find an ECU ?

Still in the process of being rebuilt.
-Dustin
maxaud
GTFour God

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby maxaud » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:38 pm

Well, the ECU company "rebuilt" the ECU and sent it back and the car wasn't working so it was sent back in again and now the company says they cannot rebuild it.

I cannot remember what the shop told me but was pretty sure the ECU wasn't sending the proper signal that the fuel pump was working or it did it intermittent.

What are my options for replacing the ECU with a new one? Is there a standalone system that works well on the ST185H?
-Dustin
maxaud
GTFour God

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby underscore » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:50 pm

If the fuel pump signal is the only issue why not just change the wiring so the fuel pump is tied directly to the ignition on?
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby FC Zach » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:20 am

FC Zach wrote:
maxaud wrote:Was having the issue of not starting this weekend so I bridged the Fp and B+ in the diagnostic port and it started right up. Maybe it's the fuel pump relay but if it's going bad, I'm curious if there is something somewhere else that is making it go bad.

When all signs point to a relay that has been mentioned already and you confirmed operation by bypassing it, why would you speculate an ECU issue? ?

maxaud wrote:. . . I've sent the ECU off to get rebuilt so we will see if that fixes it or if I'm just throwing more money at it and go from there.

Unless you have another underlying issue, I'm afraid you may be doing just that. . Fix the problem before adding more variables. :)

I'm still curious about this? ?
1992 Toyota Celica AllTrac
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
1979 Yamaha G1A, rotary powered with Sachs KM24
1976 Hercules W2000, oil injected
FC Zach
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby Magroo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:05 pm

FC Zach wrote:
FC Zach wrote:

I'm still curious about this? ?

In my experience its most likely a failing fuel pump relay. The ecu may be going bad also, but if FP and B+ can be jumpered then start there.

The relay is a spdt (single pole double throw) that's kicked on by the circuit opening relay, that's triggered by the ignition switch. The ecu side only switches between high and low state. Its a green wire with a red stripe

If the wiring and related check out, it could be the ecu side of things. When the ecu first gets power it sends a priming pulse(ground side switching, green wire red stripe) in the high state to bring the fuel system up to pressure. You should hear the fuel pump relay click on and off and the whirring for the fuel pump for about 1 to 2 seconds.

Another culprit may be the cold start injector side of things.

This is a very similar issue that I had before I ditched the stock ecu and went megasquirt. I had relay, wiring, and a bad ecu.
Magroo

Previous

Return to General Maintenance and Repair