st 205 water to air intercooler MOD,St215

soarer.jzz30

Btw, that's a 2zz throttle body.
I went with a full 3 inch pipe,
Because of the 3inch inlet on the 2zz tb
Its only 5mm larger than the 215 but it's enough.
60mm-65mm plate.
70-75 inlet size.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

JDMSD1

Looks good. How's it flow?
Do you think it flows through whole core,I mean now that your outlet is on the same side as inlet.
Mine funnels all air into outlet,encouraging air to flow equally accros. You did a great job
Moving outlet.
LMAO , verga!

JDMSD1

There no space for the air to flow across core to opposite side,
So I half rounded end ,ducting air into exit tube.

soarer.jzz30

I assume if it's pressurized air, that it will expand to every part of the system and therefore probably not affect performance much.
Just what I think in my head.
Your design definitely looks closer to the 215 Ata design though!! So it probably flows better.

Redrkt01

Hey Soarer, I'm no expert but I do know a thing or two about fluid dynamics. Don't take this as a criticism because I just want to help and see you succeed. But I think your reasoning that pressurized air will flow through the core the same no matter where the outlet is located is incorrect. A pressurized body of fluid (air, in this case) seeks to relieve itself to its static state. As pressurized air is directed into an intercooler core it will look for it's most direct route to relief, which is obviously the turbine. So the most efficient cooling will happen along the core in a line directly between the inlet and outlet. You're not utilizing the surface area outside of that path which reduces cooling efficiency. I don't know how much efficiency you're losing or how much higher the temperature is, but I'm betting your cylinders are gulping down air with a higher temperature than JDMSD1

soarer.jzz30

Nope, air Temps are fine, The wta works well.
But in any case, that would mean no one should be using a wta on a 215 intake because it's the same side as the turbo outlet.
Meaning nothing anyone could do ever could make the system cool air properly.
But it does, and it works, because it still has to fill every bit of the system in order to pressurize it.
I think you may mean the flow will be reduced in cfm.
Which Yeah it's definitely not perfect for flow on the setup I have.
I don't have huge power goals though. [emoji111]

soarer.jzz30

I run a recirculated blitz dual drive Btw
Love it
3796c6a4a62fe930e7ad3b55de99a71d.jpg

Redrkt01

No, I think CFM will be fine. If anything it should go up having a more direct path to an exit. You're missing the point on the outlet location. It's no that no one should use 205 WTA on a 215 because the turbo outlet is on the same side in the intake inlet. How yours is different than JDMSD1's setup is that he left the actual core outlet in the 205 location, but then built a scaffold funnel to move the already cooled air to a location that will mate up with the 215 TB. You welded the 205 outlet shut and then just cut a hole in a convenient place to weld up an elbow. How air moves through yours is fundamentally different than how air moves through his.

Nothing I've stated here runs at odds with the idea that anyone could make the system cool air.

soarer.jzz30

But it still has a corner to go around its just a slightly less harsh angle.
I agree he has a better design and outcome.
I just don't think it'll make a big difference in cooling output.
End of the day an Ata wins anyways.
Luckily I've got the largest pump and heat exchanger combo I know of