ST165 - What strut inserts have been tried?

UtahSleeper

So, I have a spare set of struts I am planning on converting to coilovers and curious what inserts people have used.

I know AGX is pretty common, but any others? Reviews? Anyone use adjustable inserts?

ChrisD

Redrkt01":3bry645g said:
^They're adjustable. Good luck finding them though....

Twos R Us can generally get them for good prices.

I am running Koni yellows. They are great. Have dampened very rigid springs quite well for me. Make for a very comfortable ride that is track capable. Highly recommend. I previously ran KYB GR2's and also the AGX's. GR2 is an OEM replacement, AGX is a good budget option but doesn't really compete with the Koni's. If you have the money, I'd go Koni.

Here is what I'm now running:

Front: 8610-1318 (Subaru Legacy 94-96 front)
Rear: 8641-1211 (ST185 front fitment)

The rears have a threaded end which you throw a bolt on underneath the housing to secure.

zaluss

ChrisD":2zkgddgk said:
Redrkt01":2zkgddgk said:
^They're adjustable. Good luck finding them though....

Twos R Us can generally get them for good prices.

I am running Koni yellows. They are great. Have dampened very rigid springs quite well for me. Make for a very comfortable ride that is track capable. Highly recommend. I previously ran KYB GR2's and also the AGX's. GR2 is an OEM replacement, AGX is a good budget option but doesn't really compete with the Koni's. If you have the money, I'd go Koni.

Here is what I'm now running:

Front: 8641-1211 (ST185 front fitment)
Rear: 8610-1318 (Subaru Legacy 94-96 front)

The rears have a threaded stud which you throw a nut on underneath the housing to secure.

This is good info for when I do the rear conversion. Did you just use doner front strusts to do the threaded top?

ChrisD

I got that mixed up. I'll edit my post. I put the 185 fronts on my rear, and the subie ones on the front as they were for a slightly heavier car. The subie struts did not require the threaded top, as they have a bolt in the bottom to hold them in. but yes I used some old fronts to weld on the threaded top to the rear, which now houses koni yellows designed for 185 fronts. This reminds me of why I got mixed up. haha!

Front: 8610-1318 (Subaru Legacy 94-96 front)
Rear: 8641-1211 (ST185 front fitment)

223d38137758d242c4a7590f8abb1576.jpg

zaluss

Thanks Chris!

So it looks like roughly $700 for the Koni's + $500 for the GC + welding/painting/prep. $1200~ isn't too bad all things considered.

I wish I went this route instead of coilovers. I'm probably going to go this route anyway :D

UtahSleeper

Thanks for the reply!! This is the info I need. I may aim for the yellows so I can just cut the tops and secure to the bottom.