Cooling fan causing major voltage drop....

Rallly

So I tested the Alt, charges fine then I thought it was a bad battery, changed it to new. Still getting an intermittent flickering battery light. Turns out when the cooling fan kicks on it draws so much voltage bringing it down to low 12's ... once fan is off alt charges back up to 13.8-14.3. What should I look for? Would it be a short or bad fan relay?

aus jd 2703

Me personally would check the fans current draw if possible.
Otherwise it's likely a dead alternator.
What size fuse is in the fan ?

Btw alternators on all celicas are 60+amp so I wouldn't think a 30amo fan (which stock is less than) would drain the battery

alltracman78

Before you change it out you might want to check some other circuits to make sure you don't waste your money.

Turn on the headlights, defroster, rear defroster and put the windows down at the same time. If you have power problems then it's probably the alt. If not, take a look at the fan circuit.

Rallly

alltracman78":18cu6ghb said:
Before you change it out you might want to check some other circuits to make sure you don't waste your money.

Turn on the headlights, defroster, rear defroster and put the windows down at the same time. If you have power problems then it's probably the alt. If not, take a look at the fan circuit.

I did similar, put high beams on, interior fan, rear defroster , radio bat was holding at 13.9. Once the cooling fan turned on it dropped to 12.4 and trickles down until fan shuts off. Seems the alt just can't keep up. It's a brand new battery btw.