Exhaust manifold leak symptoms

Rallly

Can someone tell me what negative things will happen to my performance with my 91 AllTrac 2nd Gen 3SGTE with a pretty bad leak on both ends of my oem exhaust manifold? Sounds like crickets when I punch it! Haha

underscore

It'll hurt your fuel economy, throttle response and power, and the exhaust gases might damage something nearby.

r-town

It's a bit difficult if you still have the stock downpipe. After removing the downpipe, the turbo and manifold come out as a single piece.

Rallly

I have an after market dp. Isn't there any oil lines going to the turbo I need to remove? Will I need to have gaskets a d o rings on hand to replace them if I take oil lines off?

underscore

There's a single connection for the oil in/out and a single connection for the water in/out. Replace the gaskets or you'll have headaches in the future.

underscore

Yes, there's a plate on the on side of the turbo that has a gasket, but you won't have to remove it to remove the turbo.

Rallly

underscore":iogoawwk said:
Yes, there's a plate on the on side of the turbo that has a gasket, but you won't have to remove it to remove the turbo.

Okay I bought the 2 gaskets, now would it be easier to remove manifold all the way to do all in one peice or take everything off separately? I need to replace the 2 manifold gaskets (manifold to motor) and manifold to turbo. Any suggestions would be appreciated

underscore

Remove the rad, unbolt the downpipe at the bottom and remove it as an assembly with the turbo and manifold, then disassemble them all on the ground.

Rallly

underscore":xmuye0h1 said:
Remove the rad, unbolt the downpipe at the bottom and remove it as an assembly with the turbo and manifold, then disassemble them all on the ground.

There's no other hoses or lines to disconnect before removal? Also does the rad need to come out?

underscore

Well yes, the turbo oil feed and drain, water feed and drain, vacuum lines to the turbo, downpipe brace, etc etc. You might be able to do it without removing the rad but it gives you a lot more space and then you're not risking damage to the rad trying to wiggle everything out of there.