Valve Question

RIalltrac

I'm no mechanic, actually anything I know how to do is driven off of sheer need. So with that being said my diagnosis skills are not fantastic, but I can recognize something that isn't up to par. Currently motor is out of the car and exhaust manifold was pulled with the turbo. Taking a look at the valves real quick like I noticed that one of them had that wet/oily look to it while the others had a dry/grayish appearance. First pic shows the valve in question on the left, second pic shows the overall look of the rest of the valves. A little back story, when the car was last running it would start to smoke after a full warm up. I had assumed something with the turbo, but now I'm starting to think this valve may be the culprit. Head was rebuilt less than a year prior to the clutch going out, which is my main reason for the engine coming out of the car. Looking to take care of as much maintenance that I can while the engine is out. Opinions and advice are greatly appreciated.

[album]1257[/album][album]1258[/album]

Magroo

Valve stem seal looks to be leaking. I'm dealing with this on my daily driver Subaru right now. Burning oil directly in the exhaust. Its possible to replace it without taking the head off. Check youtube for using rope to hold the valves up.

RIalltrac

I had no idea what you were talking about so I did a quick search. Does anyone disagree with the method of feeding nylon rope into the cylinder thru the spark plug hole, fill chamber with rope and then using the compression of the piston to hold the valve in place while you disassemble from the top? I would assume I'd have to pull the cam and all that as well? Parts, parts and more parts

lalojamesliz1

Feeding rope in is a good way. I'd just use new quality rope so it doesn't flake off in your cylinder.
I haven't seen or worked on a 3sgte head in like 6 years so I can't remember about having to remove the cam.
Just be careful on how much you put in and don t put too much pressure on your pistonwhen you turn the engine BY HAND..

Magroo

You'll definitely have to pull the cam. You can always zip tie the cam gears to the timing belt so you dont have to do the entire timing belt job. Won't lose your timing. Just resemble and cut the zip ties off when done.
Its a bit of a hack method but I've done it to replace cam seals before.

RIalltrac

Interesting, I guess I'll have to look at what seals I'm gonna need and have at it. Not too worried about the timing belt, motors out of the car, contemplated doing it anyways. It's been 10 years since it was last done, very little mileage tho.