ST185 4WD Hub Conversion

CADeathstar

Hey everyone, in need of some assistance here. Dad and I are restoring the 185 and she is in need of new hubs... all round. We have heard about people converting the 185 hubs to hubs from a 4wd rav-4. Our questions are how difficult is the conversion and just how do you do it?

Many thanks from:
CADeathstar

Kurt_st185_gt4

CADeathstar":3uk96kb1 said:
Hey everyone, in need of some assistance here. Dad and I are restoring the 185 and she is in need of new hubs... all round. We have heard about people converting the 185 hubs to hubs from a 4wd rav-4. Our questions are how difficult is the conversion and just how do you do it?

Many thanks from:
CADeathstar

The conversion is pretty easy and can be done on all 4 corners of the car. If doing it yourself you will need access to at least a 12ton press.
What is involved is removal of the wheel(5 nuts 17mm), brake caliper(2 bolts 14mm), caliper bracket(2 bolts 17mm, and rotor. You will then have to take off the wheel knuckle by removing cv axle nut(1 nut 30mm), the tie rod end from the knuckle( 1 cotter pin and 1 crown nut 14mm, the ball joint from the lower control arm(1 bolt 14mm and 2 nuts 14mm), and the knuckle from the strut(2 bolts and 2 nuts "forgot size" maybe 19mm or 21mm). If you have a functional abs system now would be the time to remove the sensor. Using a deep well 10mm socket to tap it out works otherwise it will probably break coming out. From here you will need to have a new wheel bearing on hand(wheel bearing for the st185 will work). You will have to press out the old hub and bearing and press in the new bearings along with the new hubs and reinstall in reverse order.
For more detail on what you need please read this.

tubasteve":3uk96kb1 said:
Having major issues reposting/fixing my posts...

For now:

These are acura tl wheels 04-06 that i test fitted, just cause i can!<---these did rub the strut in the rear(8mm spacer would help)

I have spent a lot of time researching wheel hubs and rotors for the past few....months/years. well im going to tell you what hubs and things youll need, hopefully with pictures:

WARNING:I will not be held accountable if you do something to screw up your car or braking system...this is just info from what i have found and completed pesonally

I'm in no way asking for money or to compare my prices. you can just goto the wrecker and get them.

PARTS AND PRICE ABOUT:

Front hub: 43502-42010 Rav4 96-2000(any trim) My cost: $58 ea Dealer list: $114.71 ea

rear hub: 42301-32060 Highlander (awd only) 2001-2003, Lexus RX300 1999-2003 *new* My cost:$190 ea Dealer list: $246 ea ********used******* I just payed $69.95, and comes with spindle(ill talk more about this) ea.

Front rotors:43512-06040 Camry (2.4/3.0) 2002-2006 im not going to price these out, but if you want me to do the cut, let me know.

Rear rotors:42431-33140 Highlander (awd only) 2001-2003, Lexus RX300 1999-2003 are unmodified at all so have at it(and they do make drilled and slotted in these.)

special tools needed for hub chage: 1)A press to press on and off the hubs :duh: 2) to use stock calipers for the 185, a on or off car brake lathe 3) PB blaster, or something to get your shit free if it is rusted.(i do consider this to be a tool, esp with the amount of rust i see on these cars)

FRONTS:

For the fronts its been talked about before, but i never saw anyone else do this change(chickens) granted ive had my new rav4 hubs for over a YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shoots: but gave up as i was trying to save for other projects.here are a couple shots of the hubs fro the fronts, the one with the race still on the hub is the old one(5x100)

for the rotor, it almost fell into place once i got my thinking cap on..."i know i saw these specs somewhere" awh yes the 2004 toyota camry 2.4 front rotors.(ones i looked up)

camry(left) spec vs 185(right):
camf.png
celif.png

The only issue here is the height and the thickness....well, this is where the "rudimentary lathe" comes in handy.<-------name the movie quote. the difference in height is 49.2mm-46.35mm=2.85 The other issue though is how thick, the stock 185 rotor is 25mm, camry is 28mm. SO 28-2.85=25.15(little over the stock) so i shaved only the bottom side or the part that faces the car?hub where the pad meets the rotor only(NOT THE WHEEL SIDE) we are trying to correct to things with one stone... height and the thickness.

I measured ball joint clearance and the caliper bracket clearance as well, cheap measuring for camera only, i was a one person doing this today(pictures and measuring)

Pad sweep...perfect mounted up.

Fronts are done

REARS:

First off, i was supprised i never found this sooner, like how i found the rav4 front hub.....the fronts are easy for the hubs. i cheated, just like toyota they have "what does this cross over to", but i noticed that the car i chose did not show up at all under "same bearing", however they use the exact bearing.

rearhub.png
if you cant see the above picture, youll not know what year highlander or rx300

the one without studs is the st205 hub I used(the st205 and 185 rear hub sizes around and depth wise are the same.

parking brake works as they also use the same shoes and rotor size is near 100% correct. the rotors are for the 185 brakes only!!!!! and only the highlanders brake rotors!!!

my rotors are from a 2002 Rotor specs Celica:
celir.png

Highlander/RX300
hlrtr.png

im going to end it here so i can get questions just in case, but this is for the st185 with brakes, the hubs will work on 185/205, and actually the 165 as well.

only thing i ask, if your going to do it, please remember i spent my time and money researching something i dont even have wheels for or the current need. :p

CADeathstar

Many thanks to you kind sir. My apologies for the late response on the post as university has my hands so tied up that I can hardly spend time on here. Much appreciated *bows*

Kurt_st185_gt4

No worries. I'm glad to help. Also if you tackle this task please post some pics of your work. I haven't had the chance due to a lack of Camrys and highlanders in the junkyard in Germany.