What to drive in axle seals with

lalojamesliz1

Well I messed up my first seal and with the other coming I REALLY don t want to wait another week that I can't drive the all-trac.
I have a pvc 2" coupler that fits perfectly inside the seal to punch it in but even though it's thick plastic, I'd rather use a large socket or something. What do you guys normally use to drive in axle seals?
What size socket? Pipe?
Thanks guys

lalojamesliz1

zaluss":21fs8wjw said:
I use the old seal most of the time. This works great also.

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece- ... 63261.html

That looks nice to have. I didn't even think of the old seal. Thanks zaluss

I already did it with that coupler I had (before I read this) and have it back together. I would estimate about a quart of oil came out of the trans with the axle out and I put just about 3 back in! I knew it was low but damn!
I wanted to do a full drain and refill but I couldn't loosen the trans drain bolt (driver side)
I blame my cheap socket swivel tool. I need a better one. For now I just filled it then when I get to my clutch job I'll take care of it since it'll be much easier with the engine out.
I hope this new seal doesn't leak, this redline 75-90ns isn't cheap :shoots:

lalojamesliz1

I found oil under the replaced seal area on my garage floor and right away I thought it was the seal again. I looked and my trans has a hairline crack caused by tightening the fill/check plug..... :doh: this crap is getting old with me....
I'll get it tig welded but for now I cleaned the plug/bolt with cleaner and cleaned the threads with a shop towel and applied toyota fipg to the plug threads.
Man, I just want to drive it....