40%
ECU is shot
No votes
ICM or something technical with the ignition
No votes

Total votes : 5

Re: New Alltrac Owner Project

Postby underscore » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:15 pm

That could be the wire for the speed signal to the ECU, since Japanese cars are limited to 180km/h by the ECU a lot of people disconnect or modify this signal to remove the limit.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby TomatoSupra » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:41 pm

Alright guys, its been a while but its time for me to kick this project into gear. I will be much more active now, and will be taking a TON of pictures, and spending a lot of time on here.

My first round of troubleshooting tasks starts this weekend. I was unable to verify i had the correct wiring diagrams, and even unable to verify i indeed had the correct wiring harness for this motor. It seems like the best option for me on this is to send this puppy into Dr tweak, or someone similar and have it rebuilt from the ground up, to make sure that i have the correct stuff going into to, or to have someone troubleshoot with me that knows the harness and motor well. i had someone on facebook who looked at the car before me tell me that it was the incorrect harness for the motor, which makes me scared that i would have the wrong diagram and make it worse than it is.

To get the harness out, this means either 1, i pull the motor and take the harness off that way, or 2 i crawl around underneath it for a weekend and try and weasle it out. If i take the motor out, I can do some other stuff like the water pump, verify the timing and start making sure everything is installed and connected correctly. This may help jump start my knowledge of this chassis, and motor and may prove to be better long term, but i would obviously rather do it the "easy" way to begin with.

First question, which is easier? And which makes more sense?

Second question, do you guys agree with my choice to start fresh with a brand new harness? Or once i have the harness out will it be easy to tell if its an st185 vs a st205?

Third question. If you guys have any more information you want to send my way, it is VERY MUCH appreciated. I want to try and do this myself, and do not want to end up shipping it off somewhere and having someone else fix it.

Thanks again guys,

Dan
TomatoSupra

Postby TomatoSupra » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:59 pm

Hey guys, sorry. It's been a long time since ive posted here.

Found the issue with the car. It was a bad fuel pump caused by a rusted fuel tank.

I removed the fuel tank and replaced the pump and filter, and she ran great for a weekend. Now i believe the left over rust in the tank clogged up the filter again, and she's back on jackstands.

Anyway, just figured i'd share the news, and its also for sale currently. Sounds like some people really like it and are interested in buying it, so i may be getting rid of it.
TomatoSupra

Postby TomatoSupra » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:15 pm

I'm Back!

Things that have happened since i've been away.

EDIT - My last post was about the rusty fuel tank. I had that professionally restored by a place in MN called FuelTankRenu. Put a new Bosch fuel pump in her, and she purrs like a kitten. 8)

Car runs and drives. Went on a few trips, most less than 20 miles and had small issues every time. I did, however, have a small coolant line around the drivers side that popped off and sprayed coolant all over the ground. Fixed this, and compression tested the cooling system and all seems well. :D

I should probably test the HG to make sure the little heat up didn't pop the gasket.

Fixed the small coolant leaks, and then it was driving fine. I finally decided to push it a little bit, and it seemed when the turbo really started to warm up, the temps kept rising. Never to the red, but fluctuation that way.

Current Status,
I ordered a new Aluminum radiator, along with an intake coupler for my HKS intake and a new Thermostat.
Took the W2A intake back off. I want to shorten the pipes leading to it, and verify it's not full of Gunk.
Noticed that when i was running a temporary intake (1.25" PVC and a small air filter) a little bit of oil was being seeped out of the compressor side of the turbo, and the blades are a little dirty. I'm going to assume this is due to the restriction the intake was putting on it. I'm going to clean it up, and verify it stops with the less restrictive intake setup I will be putting on.
I closed off all the vac lines that were not being used, all were for the evap system that's not installed anymore.
CEL is on, so that's next after the cooling system has been overhauled.
The front suspension is quite a bit lower than the rear. Assuming this is due to bad springs or struts. This fix will happen eventually.

The goal is to Autox this next spring, so i'm going to need a lot of parts, and expertise over the winter. For the first time in 4 years, i have my car at my place of residence so it'll be SUPER easy for me to work on this winter.

I'll grab some pictures and post them up here so you guys can see what's going on.

As always, I'm open to suggestions and tips on all of this.

Dan
TomatoSupra

Previous

Return to My Project