Quieter exhaust options?

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

Quieter exhaust options?

Postby lalojamesliz1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:09 pm

Hey guys,
I had a 3 inch ss mandrel bent exhaust made for my all-trac years ago. HUGE in cab volume difference from stock. I remember the next day I went back to the muffler shop to lower the sound output of it and all they could was install a glasspack (iirc) but it did slightly help.

It has a 3 inch downpipe, it has a catalytic converter installed (slight rattle while idling) and a vibrant 3 inch flow through muffler. I'm running a gen3 st205 engine/ecu at 16-18 psi

Anyone have any advice on what I can do to have a quieter exhaust besides going with a 2.5 exhaust system?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
91 Celica all-trac gen3 swap
87 toy 5speed long bed
69 mustang
08 sequoia
14 avalon
and a 2 car garage :shoots:
lalojamesliz1
Club Member
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:03 pm
Location: Bakersfield, CA

Re: Quieter exhaust options?

Postby 3SDNA » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:42 am

Hello sir, have you tried a resonator yet? Those usually kill the droning.
3SDNA
Club Member
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:50 pm
Location: Buckeye, AZ

Re: Quieter exhaust options?

Postby lalojamesliz1 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:00 am

3SDNA wrote:Hello sir, have you tried a resonator yet? Those usually kill the droning.


:doh:
I'll look into one
91 Celica all-trac gen3 swap
87 toy 5speed long bed
69 mustang
08 sequoia
14 avalon
and a 2 car garage :shoots:
lalojamesliz1
Club Member
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:03 pm
Location: Bakersfield, CA

Re: Quieter exhaust options?

Postby GT4_DRED » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:26 pm

This is what I always use inline as a mid-muffler and it makes a big difference..

https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=14419
Image
'00 SC300 - "The long way home" daily driver
'88 ST165 - project "Rahtid"
'88 ST165 - Project "Supah Cyat"
'91 MR2
'93 Corrado SLC - "Purple Haze"
User avatar
GT4_DRED
Club Member
 
Posts: 418
Images: 0
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:02 pm
Location: North GA.

Re: Quieter exhaust options?

Postby wilhelm101 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:04 am

If you have the money I like the bi-model designs dfrom x-force. Bit expensive but you get best of both worlds . Press a button and a 25db reduction then pop in the ear plugs for a straight threw pure performance.
wilhelm101
Club Member
 
Posts: 23
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:27 am

1990 Toyota Celica

Re: Quieter exhaust options?

Postby pintoBC_3sgte » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:38 am

Add a resonator, it helped out big time. I had a 2.5” dp back straight thru exhaust to a can muffler and it was loud AF! This was on my 5sfte

With my swap, I’ve gone to 3” dp, 3” exhaust, vibrant ultra quiet resonator, magnaflow performance muffler and it is way quieter. I can actually have a conversation as I drive, drone is gone, and I can drive around town without looking like I’m speeding everywhere. Only gets loud when I get on it , and it’s not even that bad.
Image
User avatar
pintoBC_3sgte
Club Member
 
Posts: 513
Images: 0
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:02 am
Location: Kelowna, BC , Canada

1991 Toyota Celica

Re: Quieter exhaust options?

Postby lalojamesliz1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:53 am

GT4_DRED wrote:This is what I always use inline as a mid-muffler and it makes a big difference..

https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=14419


Right now it has something that I think is a glasspack before the actual muffler. I think its similar to this but oh really want to try this.
I'd just hate to buy it and it doesn't do much compared to now. Only one way to find out....
91 Celica all-trac gen3 swap
87 toy 5speed long bed
69 mustang
08 sequoia
14 avalon
and a 2 car garage :shoots:
lalojamesliz1
Club Member
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:03 pm
Location: Bakersfield, CA

Re: Quieter exhaust options?

Postby lalojamesliz1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:57 am

pintoBC_3sgte wrote:Add a resonator, it helped out big time. I had a 2.5” dp back straight thru exhaust to a can muffler and it was loud AF! This was on my 5sfte

With my swap, I’ve gone to 3” dp, 3” exhaust, vibrant ultra quiet resonator, magnaflow performance muffler and it is way quieter. I can actually have a conversation as I drive, drone is gone, and I can drive around town without looking like I’m speeding everywhere. Only gets loud when I get on it , and it’s not even that bad.


The vibrant resonator is tempting also and it's the same price as the magnaflow on the above post. I'm just wondering if it'll fit
91 Celica all-trac gen3 swap
87 toy 5speed long bed
69 mustang
08 sequoia
14 avalon
and a 2 car garage :shoots:
lalojamesliz1
Club Member
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:03 pm
Location: Bakersfield, CA

Re: Quieter exhaust options?

Postby GT4_DRED » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:32 pm

lalojamesliz1 wrote:
pintoBC_3sgte wrote:Add a resonator, it helped out big time. I had a 2.5” dp back straight thru exhaust to a can muffler and it was loud AF! This was on my 5sfte

With my swap, I’ve gone to 3” dp, 3” exhaust, vibrant ultra quiet resonator, magnaflow performance muffler and it is way quieter. I can actually have a conversation as I drive, drone is gone, and I can drive around town without looking like I’m speeding everywhere. Only gets loud when I get on it , and it’s not even that bad.


The vibrant resonator is tempting also and it's the same price as the magnaflow on the above post. I'm just wondering if it'll fit

The resonator will be an easier fit, as what I'm recommending is an actual muffler, to be used as a pre-muffler.
Image
'00 SC300 - "The long way home" daily driver
'88 ST165 - project "Rahtid"
'88 ST165 - Project "Supah Cyat"
'91 MR2
'93 Corrado SLC - "Purple Haze"
User avatar
GT4_DRED
Club Member
 
Posts: 418
Images: 0
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:02 pm
Location: North GA.

Re: Quieter exhaust options?

Postby lalojamesliz1 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:47 am

GT4_DRED wrote:
lalojamesliz1 wrote:
pintoBC_3sgte wrote:Add a resonator, it helped out big time. I had a 2.5” dp back straight thru exhaust to a can muffler and it was loud AF! This was on my 5sfte

With my swap, I’ve gone to 3” dp, 3” exhaust, vibrant ultra quiet resonator, magnaflow performance muffler and it is way quieter. I can actually have a conversation as I drive, drone is gone, and I can drive around town without looking like I’m speeding everywhere. Only gets loud when I get on it , and it’s not even that bad.


The vibrant resonator is tempting also and it's the same price as the magnaflow on the above post. I'm just wondering if it'll fit

The resonator will be an easier fit, as what I'm recommending is an actual muffler, to be used as a pre-muffler.


Which one do you think will make my exhaust the quietest in your opinion? I need this done yesterday!
I love driving this car but the exhaust...... I've never heard how loud it actually is from the outside like it driving by unfortunately. But I also don't want anyone else driving it :evil:
91 Celica all-trac gen3 swap
87 toy 5speed long bed
69 mustang
08 sequoia
14 avalon
and a 2 car garage :shoots:
lalojamesliz1
Club Member
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:03 pm
Location: Bakersfield, CA

Re: Quieter exhaust options?

Postby pintoBC_3sgte » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:55 am

I would go with the vibrant ultra quiet resonator , I might be biased though. I’ll post a clip of it in a little
Image
User avatar
pintoBC_3sgte
Club Member
 
Posts: 513
Images: 0
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:02 am
Location: Kelowna, BC , Canada

1991 Toyota Celica

Re: Quieter exhaust options?

Postby pintoBC_3sgte » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:13 am

few clips (might have to turn the volume up)


heres a few revs

https://www.youtube.com/embed/An6kJkKuGis

3rd-5th pull

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teri4bVMxsw
Image
User avatar
pintoBC_3sgte
Club Member
 
Posts: 513
Images: 0
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:02 am
Location: Kelowna, BC , Canada

1991 Toyota Celica

Re: Quieter exhaust options?

Postby lalojamesliz1 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:54 am

Sweet!
Thank you guys
91 Celica all-trac gen3 swap
87 toy 5speed long bed
69 mustang
08 sequoia
14 avalon
and a 2 car garage :shoots:
lalojamesliz1
Club Member
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:03 pm
Location: Bakersfield, CA


Return to Performance and Power

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests