Rear clunk sound coming from rear diff...

lalojamesliz1

I replaced the diff mount and swaybar links and it hasn't gone away.
I recently took off the front half of the driveshaft and after it was disconnected I just turned the rear half of the driveshaft to see how easy it is and I had to turn it probably a
1/8 to a quarter of the way before it locked and that's when I heard the dreaded clunk.
I turned it back and forth to verify and yes it has play before it locks going from forward to reverse directions.
Is this a simple fix or should I look for a new one?
The pinion seal is leaking and yes it has oil :)

___Scott___

lalojamesliz1":1nwuh7zn said:
1/8 to a quarter of the way before it locked and that's when I heard the dreaded clunk.
Sounds like it's time to replace the diff. This is a good excuse to track down a torsen diff from an ST205. :D

lalojamesliz1

___Scott___":swrcewme said:
lalojamesliz1":swrcewme said:
Sounds like it's time to replace the diff. This is a good excuse to track down a torsen diff from an ST205. :D

:(
Can it fail and cause a dangerous situation? I would love to upgrade it but damn $$$
I'm about to re-install the engine/trans (today I hope) . I replaced the clutch, main seals , timing components and the oil pump seals so another few hundred+ wasn't on the spending list now but if it can be dangerous then f-it.
I have the st205 trans now

Bers

Make sure you change all differential cushions, not just the one on the back. Part number is 5228120010, they can still be had on toyotapartsoverstock.com for around 80USD, appearantly.

https://i.imgur.com/AxC5ZQS.png

Changing these cushions made a huge difference on my car, was totally worth it.

BTW I had some freeplay too, and had my differential opened by a transmission shop and they told it was fine.

Start with the basics. Your mounts are probably worn out anyway. Grab the Toyota ones while you can, because these part will probably soon be discontinued like almost all our other subframe mounts (you'll have to go with urethane replacement or weld it in place, otherwise).

crackerjack

Hi,
I had the clunk in mine and I replaced the rear diff mount. Also, my passanger side drive
shaft seal was leaking. So I took the entire rear diff out to change out seals, mount and
also the input shaft collar which Toyota recormended. The top seal that bolts to the frame
seems fine and my clunking is gone. Since you still get the clunk, I suspect the input shaft bearing
needs to be replaced. Its probably have too much play. You would need a press to get it out and put a new one in along with a new collar and input shaft seal. Can still get them now. I did mine in November
and all is good now.