St205 in us

Celica All Tracs for sale

St205 in us

Postby MADDTRD » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:35 pm

What would you pay for a legit st205 in California? Testing the waters.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
MADDTRD
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:40 pm
Location: California

1990 Toyota Celica

Re: St205 in us

Postby FC Zach » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:59 am

I'd be willing to pay whatever the going rate is in Canada. . plus shipping/misc. fees

I've seen some pop up in the past at a decent price but I have zero doubt that will increase once they reach their 25 year mark. .
1992 Toyota Celica AllTrac
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
1979 Yamaha G1A, rotary powered with Sachs KM24
1976 Hercules W2000, oil injected
User avatar
FC Zach
Club Member
 
Posts: 953
Images: 9
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 7:43 am
Location: Eagleville, TN

1992 Toyota Celica

Re: St205 in us

Postby GT4times2 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:27 am

FC Zach wrote:I'd be willing to pay whatever the going rate is in Canada. . plus shipping/misc. fees

I've seen some pop up in the past at a decent price but I have zero doubt that will increase once they reach their 25 year mark. .



I'm not sure about increasing by much. While it has its fair share of followers, the ST205 is not as popular as say Evos 3-7, STi, Supra, MR2, GT-Rs. etc. But I'm sure when more come statewide, they won't be that expensive. I'd estimate between $8k-$12k from privateers/small importers. JDM ST185s have gone as high as $8K. So not expecting ST205s to be too expensive. I've been looking at EVO III- VI from LH driving countries lately, and their prices are holding up well. I guess we'll see. LHD ST205s are rarer and more expensive. I'd go that route, but being priced out.

Got my ST205 lined up.
Frantz
12 Toyota Sienna LE
12 Toyota Camry SE
90 ST185 Gen4
88 ST165 Gen3-The works
89 ST165 Gen4-on the way
+ Many other projects, under covers....
GT4times2
Established Member
 
Posts: 2168
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:21 pm
Location: Florida

Re: St205 in us

Postby MADDTRD » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:19 am

I’ve attached a picture of the car
Attachments
DBBE9FB7-6DE5-434D-9410-304B72F82E69.jpeg
MADDTRD
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:40 pm
Location: California

1990 Toyota Celica

Re: St205 in us

Postby GT4times2 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:51 pm

How much are you asking for it? Looks decent. What Year is it? No other pics? Interior? Engine shots?
Frantz
12 Toyota Sienna LE
12 Toyota Camry SE
90 ST185 Gen4
88 ST165 Gen3-The works
89 ST165 Gen4-on the way
+ Many other projects, under covers....
GT4times2
Established Member
 
Posts: 2168
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:21 pm
Location: Florida

Re: St205 in us

Postby r-town » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:41 am

MADDTRD wrote:I’ve attached a picture of the car

Is this registered in California? I see Alaska plates.
User avatar
r-town
Club Member
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:49 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: St205 in us

Postby MADDTRD » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:19 pm

It a 1995 st 205 rhd yes built by Toyota for Alaska tag in glove box. I transferred to my name in ca just waiting for a rhd air box due to hks intake wont pass visual for smog. I’ve decided to hold onto it for now. Thanks for your interest. Good luck to all!
MADDTRD
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:40 pm
Location: California

1990 Toyota Celica

Re: St205 in us

Postby r-town » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:58 pm

That's pretty awesome. I have only heard of one st205 in California, but I don't know if it was fully street legal.
User avatar
r-town
Club Member
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:49 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: St205 in us

Postby underscore » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:57 pm

GT4times2 wrote:I'd estimate between $8k-$12k from privateers/small importers. JDM ST185s have gone as high as $8K.


That's still more than they are in Canada, without even converting the currency. Be cautious going through an "importer" that bring them to the US, they seem to charge a premium just to fill out a form and drive across the border.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3898
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:29 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC

Re: St205 in us

Postby GT4times2 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:25 am

underscore wrote:
GT4times2 wrote:I'd estimate between $8k-$12k from privateers/small importers. JDM ST185s have gone as high as $8K.


That's still more than they are in Canada, without even converting the currency. Be cautious going through an "importer" that bring them to the US, they seem to charge a premium just to fill out a form and drive across the border.


I'm not paying anyone to cross the border with one illegally, and not paying any premiums they're charging desperate people that can't wait.
I'm getting mine from Europe. MY 1994. And I have a contact that's a Registered Importer in South Florida. Fee is reasonable. Just waiting for later this year (Nov-Dec) to process the shipping papers and should be here by Jan 2019. Legally and Exempt from EPA/DOT madness. I'm not losing my mind over those cars at this point (as much as I love them and as long as I have wanted and waited for them). I saved plenty of parts to build a conversion. Decided to wait for them to be legal, and will enjoy it when it's here. Plus it will be LHD, and I'll have plenty of spare parts. They're not that rare, and relatively affordable. Compared to Escort Cosworth and EVO V and VIs anyways. I did some cross shopping, and the ST205 is a relative bargain.
Frantz
12 Toyota Sienna LE
12 Toyota Camry SE
90 ST185 Gen4
88 ST165 Gen3-The works
89 ST165 Gen4-on the way
+ Many other projects, under covers....
GT4times2
Established Member
 
Posts: 2168
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:21 pm
Location: Florida

Re: St205 in us

Postby underscore » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:19 am

GT4times2 wrote:I'm not paying anyone to cross the border with one illegally, and not paying any premiums they're charging desperate people that can't wait.


I was referring to cars that are already US legal. Many "importers" are simply picking up mid-range cars in Canada (ie an R32 Skyline that isn't a GTR), doubling the price, and then selling them. Shipping something in from overseas is much more complicated and worth dealing with an importer for since they're actually doing something. I've had a few people tell me my RC is overpriced, yet I've seen several of them selling in the US for nearly the same money but with worn out old components.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3898
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:29 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC

Re: St205 in us

Postby GT4times2 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:36 am

underscore wrote:
GT4times2 wrote:I'm not paying anyone to cross the border with one illegally, and not paying any premiums they're charging desperate people that can't wait.


I was referring to cars that are already US legal. Many "importers" are simply picking up mid-range cars in Canada (ie an R32 Skyline that isn't a GTR), doubling the price, and then selling them. Shipping something in from overseas is much more complicated and worth dealing with an importer for since they're actually doing something. I've had a few people tell me my RC is overpriced, yet I've seen several of them selling in the US for nearly the same money but with worn out old components.



Ah, understood. Still won't pay them for that. I see what they go for in Canada, and have plenty of friends and family that could handle the transaction, as long as it's legal to import here. But it's a business. People will pay for what they desperately want, and aren't willing to do themselves. Can't blame the opportunists.
Frantz
12 Toyota Sienna LE
12 Toyota Camry SE
90 ST185 Gen4
88 ST165 Gen3-The works
89 ST165 Gen4-on the way
+ Many other projects, under covers....
GT4times2
Established Member
 
Posts: 2168
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:21 pm
Location: Florida

Re: St205 in us

Postby underscore » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:44 pm

True I suppose, with overseas imports there's language barriers and shipping and such, but if someone can't be bothered to see what a car costs in Canada and look up the one form they need to fill out it's really their own fault if they overpay.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3898
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:29 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC

Re: St205 in us

Postby entrax » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:50 pm

GT4times2 wrote:I'm not sure about increasing by much. While it has its fair share of followers, the ST205 is not as popular as say Evos 3-7, STi, Supra, MR2, GT-Rs. etc. But I'm sure when more come statewide, they won't be that expensive. I'd estimate between $8k-$12k from privateers/small importers. JDM ST185s have gone as high as $8K. So not expecting ST205s to be too expensive.


Since the initial flow of JDM cars from the 90s started about 5-10 years ago, prices have dropped dramatically for jdm cars. RHD turbo mr2's can be found for 2/3rd's of what LHD equivalent is. RHD supras have dropped dramatically from 20k down to the low 10's (and automatic TT is possible to buy for under 10k canadian), while LHD turbos consistently hit 25+. Long term, the ST205 will eventually drop in price after it's legal to be imported, but not as fast as cars with LHD equivalents. It looks like it's settled at around 5-6k Canadian here for the ST205.
1991 MR2 Turbo [May 2013-
1988 Celica turbo4WD [Mar 2015-

1987 GT-S [November 2011-April 2013]
1988 GT [October 2010-October 2011]
1989 GT [October 2011]
1987 Tercel Wagon 4wd [August 2014-May 2015]
User avatar
entrax
Club Member
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 12:58 am


Return to All Tracs For Sale

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests