Real Leather Seat Covers

FC Zach

I was gonna try to hold off till I got a good report on these but there are/were only three available so in good faith I went ahead and placed an order, crossing fingers.

Magroo

I saw those yesterday and put them on my watchlist. My only concern is "real leather" may be bonded leather. There are varying degrees of quality in that regard.

I put cloth seat covers on a year ago since I dont like leather a whole lot, but at the same time I feel like the car deserves leather.

On the other hand I thought about putting some Porsche boxter/911 seats in since they look pretty nice and I have some seat bracket mounts I never used.

Something like this.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2191805450

EvilStig

That price is really suspect to me, I've seen similar looking seat covers going for $800 on there in the past. I'm very interested to hear about how they work out for you once they arrive, please keep us posted!

FC Zach

Shortly after placing an order for the item number above I found that they offered both front and rear for 799/ obo. . I had the seller cancel that order and got the full set since my rears are shot too and they accepted my offer for 750 :)

Like you I think it seems suspect considering quotes I've had from upholsters, we'll see how these fit once installed. I'll post an update when I receive them next month.

msanders2

PLease do, I was thinking about ordering these also! My rear seat is shot but my fronts are just mildly cracked. I really want it to look as OEM as possible.

FC Zach

Magroo":2b6nmuce said:
My only concern is "real leather" may be bonded leather. There are varying degrees of quality in that regard.

I inquired about this. . stay tuned

EvilStig

I am becoming increasingly tempted to blow my tax refund on this. I know there's other more important stuff I need to address with this car still, but the opportunity is there and I don't know if or when I'll get another one like it.

Magroo

yeah I'm still debating it too. My car originally came with leather seats but I ended up putting cloth on it last year when I found a really good deal on a set of cloth seat covers. I paid $100 for a set of New Old Stock original cloth seat covers for either an st or a GT that weren't exactly the same but they were close enough.

So it's either seat covers or a new ct27 Turbo.

EvilStig

I ordered mine 3 weeks or so ago, waiting to hear update on shipping since it sounds like they're made to order. I'll let you know how they work out once they arrive.

FC Zach

EvilStig":1w5re6fx said:
I ordered mine 3 weeks or so ago, waiting to hear update on shipping since it sounds like they're made to order. I'll let you know how they work out once they arrive.

Same here, I ordered mine on the 8th. . I've already completely disassembled my driver's seat and partially disassembled the other to use as a blueprint. I assumed these were already made because of the ad pictures but I guess those were just stock photos.

Magroo

If you need to throw the covers back on I found zip ties to be a good alternative to the hog rings that were used. When I put my cloth seat covers on its what I had on hand and worked extremely well.

FC Zach

Magroo":w7k13wwm said:
If you need to throw the covers back on I found zip ties to be a good alternative to the hog rings that were used. When I put my cloth seat covers on its what I had on hand and worked extremely well.

I considered that but I luckily have some cloth seats to use till these arrive.

EvilStig

FC Zach":1icez2gc said:
I've already completely disassembled my driver's seat and partially disassembled the other to use as a blueprint.

I'm working on that right now... drivers seat needs some foam repair so figured I'd do it while I wait.

FC Zach

Pretty excited! I just received notification that these are on the way and scheduled for delivery this Saturday! :)

FC Zach

I found a few issues. . Of everything sent (I bought the complete set with both front and rear), only the front seat bottoms/backs installed without any problems. The first issue I came across was with the headrests, they appear to be made from a different design.

Completed front driver's seat. . Ignore the baggyness, I'm going to address that with some heat on another day. These are made well and from 100% leather. If I were to complain about anything with the front sets, it would be that the flap which folds around and underneath the backside of the seat bottom appears to be made from a different design than mine. I remedied this issue with wire and hog-rings (I didn't get a picture of this as I felt it wasn't that big of deal) but noting as this may be a concern to others.
40694294712_8a57465d1b_c.jpg

39842158255_44850433f8_c.jpg

Headrests. . . Is anyone familiar with this shape? It looks to be a little smaller and obviously with a smaller opening. . I've already contacted the ebay seller about resolving this and the other issues:
40750696641_14f256e222_c.jpg

40040668464_75dedd404a_c.jpg

After I completed both fronts, I tried installing the rear seat bottom. . I didn't catch it right away and unfortunately not until I wasted a few hog-rings and time securing the inner rods to the cushion that the new cover was shaped differently and missing some important details. Once I side-by-side I realized the obvious and that they completely different, the replacement has a shallower bottom than my original.
40040659714_e83efb3f9f_c.jpg

The other important details I found omitted from the replacement bottom were sleeves to run wire rods through for securing with hog-rings and added material for securing the seat-belt-buckle openings. Although not as crucial as the previous issues, there were plastic tabs missing from the rear corners to attach hog-rings.

There's no sleeve running along this edge to run the wire through. .
39855929475_0047bf993c_c.jpg

Here's the added material at the buckle holes from the OE seat used to secure with rings
26879772198_68cd38fe5b_c.jpg

and the missing plastic tab used for securing a ring to. .
39855942025_c90f3826bf_c.jpg

Lastly, the rear seat-backs. . I found that the covers are missing wire/rod sleeves from every edge that they're needed and the one edge that does have one really needs to have a plastic flap which is used to tuck in-between the top of the seat back and the back (carpeted) cover.

Sleeve in place of plastic flap thingy:
26879751728_11dca0e4c9_c.jpg

and no rod/wire sleeves:
25879668967_c5a97fd400_c.jpg

38940343980_0511d14457_c.jpg

25879671277_c3b8d0dd50_c.jpg

EvilStig

Thanks for the info. Are those seats you ordered Grey? they look almost more brown to me...

I just ordered the fronts and they should get here this week, will let you know if I find anything different on mine.