High Millage Alltrac, What to expect ?

General Chat

Re: High Millage Alltrac, What to expect ?

Postby underscore » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:58 pm

I wouldn't really consider a car that needs a throwout bearing a running & driving car, in my mind that's a project base just like most of the ones that are for sale.

As well I'd definitely want details on how and when the engine was rebuilt, and how thorough they were. If they were in that deep but didn't replace the throwout bearing that would be a red flag for me. When I got my engine rebuilt I had the shop replace absolutely everything, a fair bit of it was extras that most people don't normally do but the resulting bill was higher than the asking price for this entire car and I shouldn't have to dive back in again because a part was skipped over.

As for daily driveable ones you can try to have one but they're still old cars with quirks. I've thrown far more than my asking price into mine and gone through it front to back but things can still happen. It all depends on what you want out of it, but the old saying "The most expensive Porsche you can buy is a cheap one" applies to Alltracs as well.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby GTSfreak » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:29 pm

i rarely have ever had newer cars. my current daily is an 86 toyota pickup. and my supra was my daily before the truck. it had 240k on it.

Im not sure if they can be considered as reliable as a typical toyota but maybe not.

The throw out bearing apparently is just making the sounds which would be its on its way out. But i'd imagine it was probably just some shop that rebuilt the engine and still and put on all the old components. I doubt it was any sort of specialty shop or place that is known for high quality work.. its like how alot of average shops are these days.. they tell you, you need a rebuild and they don't do anything else. even using old gaskets and parts just to get the car back together and out the door.

But if i can find an alltrac thats got minimal body damage and minimal interior damage than id be more than willing to be open minded and look at my options. im just being straight forward, ive looked for quite some time and most of them that are complete cars are rarely going for any less than 3k let alone if they run or not.

I wouldnt mind a shell but the one for a grand just has too much body damage for me. im not a body guy and taking it to a shop to have deep dents pulled and then filled can be upwards of a thousand dollars or more if you want a quality shop to handle it.
GTSfreak
Club Member

Postby silverarrow27 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:06 am

Be patient, if you really want a driveable All Trac for about $4-5k that needs minimal restoration/work. There was a red one in Tucson, AZ a few months ago for $4k, I was tempted to pick it up since I was down that way for a work conference the week I saw it on Craigslist also. It appears it was well taken cared of, completely stock, interior looked excellent, body just need a detail or a new coat of paint. Red just isn't a color I want though.
silverarrow27

Postby GTSfreak » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:10 pm

silverarrow27 wrote:Be patient, if you really want a driveable All Trac for about $4-5k that needs minimal restoration/work. There was a red one in Tucson, AZ a few months ago for $4k, I was tempted to pick it up since I was down that way for a work conference the week I saw it on Craigslist also. It appears it was well taken cared of, completely stock, interior looked excellent, body just need a detail or a new coat of paint. Red just isn't a color I want though.

Sounds like a nice option for the price.

Well that car was sold so its not happening, before he sold it i did get him down to 4k but someone snagged it. i'll continue to look. some how im having a very difficult time finding any on craigslist. and id contemplate a shell if it was a clean one inside and out for around 2k.

Im probably going to look at neighboring states but its just the whole traveling and checking out the car and shipping etc.

I have looked on auction sites and they actually seem to be worse deals. and then some of these sites called classic cars for sale seem to have some good deals. but when you contact the seller you don't get a response atleast from my experience.
GTSfreak
Club Member

Previous

Return to Club Chat