Gen 3 tranny speedometer conversion mechanical to electrical

k_trac

Im putting a ST205 engine / tranny into my 185. I need to know what I have to do to get my mechanical speedometer to work. I still have my mechanical sensor, and it doesnt look anything like the electrical one. I also do have the ST205 cluster, dont know if that would work, or if Id even want to use it. I know some other people have used the 205 tranny before.

Are the 92 or 93 cluster electrical? Mines a 90....

Any help would be apreciated.
Thank you!

InitialD93

fitting the 205 cluster is prolly gona be ur best bet... i dont know of any way to make a mechanical speedo electronic...

perhapse you colu gut the stock speedo spot and install a large Autometer electronic one... kinda like chris did with his boost and knock guages :shrug:

CMS-GT4

Check gt4oc.com and the gt4 yahoo groups. I will have to do this myself. There is a simple conversion to do, but I am not sure what it is.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

LechacZ

As I PM'd you, I removed the whole 205 speedo assembly from the tranny and put the 185 in it's place. I think it's held down to the tranny with one (12mm socket) bolt.

k_trac

Ya, easy as pie this!!!!!

These are the two sensors, obviously, the one with all the gear is the electrical one. I dont have the 185 tranny anymore, so I dont know if there is something that I forgot to take off when it went.

Griffin

k_trac":27kx6ovk said:
Ya, easy as pie this!!!!!

These are the two sensors, obviously, the one with all the gear is the electrical one. I dont have the 185 tranny anymore, so I dont know if there is something that I forgot to take off when it went.

There is another part to the 185 speedo that actually goes into the tranny and houses the gear and gear shaft to hook up to the part in the picture. It should be a direct replacement for the ST205 peice. If memory serves it was not too expensive when I replaced mine (my gear was worn out)

5speedGT4

yea just take everything out and swap the parts to make it work... its pie!

i had to do the same sort of thing on my 185 tranny in my 165

soarer.jzz30

where is the piece from the 185 that has the gear on the end?? Oh well... time again to get out the angle grinder. :doh: :doh:

k_trac

Wow, this is an old post, but still subscribed. I sold that car like 4 years ago.

Anyhow, I do still remember this.....there is a peice missing that I left on the 185 tranny and didnt realize it. It was just a drive gear that threaded into the trans. Im pretty sure I sourced one from a 184 in the junkyard, easy fix.