INTERCOLER???

Phonger

From what I've read a ATA NON top mount will be the best solution for drag/autox and well looks. With a top mount ATA you will have to deal with heatsoak, the only way to combat that is with a fan and/or water injection. However for the price of waterinjection you could just go with a front mount. The WTA top mount from 2nd or 3rd gen engine should be able to operate well upto 300hp.

BTW you should register

A

Anonymous

I OWN A COROLLA WITH A ST185RC ENGINE IN IT BUT I DONT THINK THAT THE WTA INTERCOOLER IS TO EFECTIVE I WHANT A FRONTMOUNT INSTEAD WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK

Zeus

okay first things first... caps lock off

for low speeds a water to air ic should be much more effective as an ata doesnt get the air flow needed to be effective... and this makes a wta set up better for drag in my opinion... also it will have a shorter path then an fmic...

however for big power i think fmic is the only real way to go... its simpler and does have the ability to cool just as well or better

why do you think your ic is not effective enough? do you have the pump set to constantly run?

Zeus

ofcourse... but on the same note you could spray down the ata with n2o or co2... but i wasnt talking about that

BraveUlysses

3SGTEWRC":3pxftmxd said:
I OWN A COROLLA WITH A ST185RC ENGINE IN IT BUT I DONT THINK THAT THE WTA INTERCOOLER IS TO EFECTIVE I WHANT A FRONTMOUNT INSTEAD WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK

HAY GUYS I THINK I'M GOING TO START A THREAD ASKING A QUESTION THEN I'LL STATE MY NONSENSICAL OPINION ON THE QUESTION AFTER THE FIRST PERSON ANSWERS IT WHILE USING ALL CAPS AND NO PUNCTUATION

3SGTEWRC

i have my pump custant runnig but i just dont thik is efective since the ic is on top of the engine and that gets real hot. i just wana know can i get more hp with a fmic

Zeus

well seeings as how its in the engine bay its bound to get hot... a better way to test its efficiency would be to have an inlet and outlet temp probe installed... you may be suprised...

you could also insulate it to keep the core from getting heat soaked... upgrade your radiator to something larger add water injection...

fmic is a lot of work for something that might only see minimal benefits hp wise... plus its going to give you lag with that... so your peak power might be better but your area under the curve (lowend midrange) could suffer a lot

do some testing!

billprice

Zeus":2b2t1urc said:
fmic is a lot of work for something that might only see minimal benefits hp wise... plus its going to give you lag with that... so your peak power might be better but your area under the curve (lowend midrange) could suffer a lot

do some testing!

I couldn't disagree more. However, I guess it all depends on what your end goals are. If you look at my power curve, I don't think it suffers too much.

Zeus

you can not argue that its going to take more time to spool up... there is more piping and a larger core... even if you do teeny pipes 2" or less there is still going to be much more area to fill...

how drastic is it going to be? not much in reality... maybe hits full boost 3-500 rpm later... but i personally think that unless he is looking to run HUGE power a stock ic set up should be more than enough... espescially if he were to add things like heat reflective coatings or water injection...

billprice

I'ts all relative. How much power is HUGE? I would agree that the stock intercooler should probably be good for around 300 or so, especially with insulation and a fan. But if you want more than that, I think the intercooler will be hard pressed to do much of anything in the way of cooling the charge. Even more so in a hot climate. I can tell you from experience that the lag is really not noticable unless you have a small turbo and very large intercooler and piping, which of course the turbo has to pressurize before building boost. So if you have a very large FMIC and associated piping, you need a turbo that can move very large amounts of air. And of course, an ECU that will compensate for that extra air.

Zeus

billprice":119e66tj said:
I'ts all relative. How much power is HUGE? I would agree that the stock intercooler should probably be good for around 300 or so, especially with insulation and a fan. But if you want more than that, I think the intercooler will be hard pressed to do much of anything in the way of cooling the charge. Even more so in a hot climate. I can tell you from experience that the lag is really not noticable unless you have a small turbo and very large intercooler and piping, which of course the turbo has to pressurize before building boost. So if you have a very large FMIC and associated piping, you need a turbo that can move very large amounts of air. And of course, an ECU that will compensate for that extra air.

as far as stock ic im talking about the wta core but yeah.. it really is all relative :p

turbo4wd

BraveUlysses":22b2ofco said:
3SGTEWRC":22b2ofco said:

HAY GUYS I THINK I'M GOING TO START A THREAD ASKING A QUESTION THEN I'LL STATE MY NONSENSICAL OPINION ON THE QUESTION AFTER THE FIRST PERSON ANSWERS IT WHILE USING ALL CAPS AND NO PUNCTUATION

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

alltracman78

BraveUlysses":37rrb6ei said:
3SGTEWRC":37rrb6ei said:

Haha. :D

*Didn't Pat run a 10.6 with the 205 wtaic? I thought I read that somewhere :? *

Zeus

alltracman78":2m1uchno said:
*Didn't Pat run a 10.6 with the 205 wtaic? I thought I read that somewhere :? *

yeah as was mentioned it was a 11.99 but that was with a 185cs set up that was group a modified or something like that...

still proves that the stock st205 which is a bigger core atleast has some potential

nosboy

what would be the limits of the WTA165 intercooler with a good circulation pump and a bigger heatexchanger/radiator with fan?

Gary

Consider it is 1/3 size of the 205 w/a IC core, and people are saying 205 core can support 350hp. I would say around 250-275 hp.