problems

killer_siller

when i am cornering at anything above a moderate crawl (>25mph) my outside bumper touches the ground (the part that is directly infront of the outside tire)

my suspension bottoms out (not really the whole car, but i hit the bottom of my suspension on medium to large size bumps)

small bumps in the road and cross winds cause the rear of the car to waggle.

i'm not really very educated with suspensions, but my guess is that i need new shocks (but celicas have mcphersons, so i guess i need new struts, correct?). again, i'm not as familiar with suspension parts.

anybody have any suggestions? i'm not wanting to go cheap (it's my baby after all), but i'm not made of money.

Gary

What you might need is called "strut insert" for front struts. It looks like a regular shock. Have you inspect the spring and other suspension part? Here are the suspension setups on our car

FRONT:
front_suspension.jpg

REAR:
rear_suspension.jpg

Gary

By the way, Koni and KYB make front strut insert for our cars.
I don't have the part number with me now. Someone will need to chime in.

killer_siller

from the looks of those diagrams i'm going to have to compress the spring to get the inserts back on.

hmmm

there was a strut removal / installation guide on the old website

thats what web.archive.org is for :)

Gary

Yup, you can buy a spring compressor for 20-30 bucks.
I remember that you need to cut a brake line bracket if you don't want to drain and bleed the fluid. It's definitely a DIY job.

killer_siller

yeah, i remember hearing that one, you cut a slot into it so that you don't have to remove it and all that jazz.

okay

just got back from autozone (god bless that place) and they have strut cartridges there from gabriel (both front and rear). i'm looking them up now. cartridges for the front were $30 and struts for the rear were $60 (i might just go w/ struts all the way around).

killer_siller

i know the cartridges are for the all-trac; autozone has the rear struts listed for the all-trac but gabriel.com doesn't (their site is rather vauge though, so it's debatable). the cool thing is that i can order them; install them, and if they fit pay for them, if not then i can just hand them back (god bless employee discount).

another thing that i found crazy was the number of parts available. there are more parts available for the all-trac than my 91 gt!

oh, and here are the parts numbers from gabriel

front (just cartridge): G44982
rear (full strut): G55580

killer_siller

oh, there we go. okay. that's awesome. good, good, good.

i was wondering when i would find a jackpot like that. awesome. thanks.

a little expensive though (not really made of money, and i really don't want to drive it for the amount of time that it would take for me to save that up, but hey; they're there).