• Yes, CF Please

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic) Please

• No

• Total voters

BraveUlysses

I get to make some parts for my composites class by making our own tooling and using vacuum bagging so I was considering making CF ABS covers to replace our stock ones which so readily degrade over time.

Vote and throw out a price if you would feel comfortable buying one of these, and I'll see what I can do (depending on interest).

I'll also need someone to hook me up with some accurate dimensions or a sample cover (I'll throw down $ or discount your CF cover) if you have one in good shape.

dluke

I've got a cover in pretty good shape. I could measure it for you (or send it to you). I'm not sure how much $$ would be fair for the part, but I wouldn't want to spend more than ~ $20 to replace it.

CodingParadox

I agree - more than 20$ would be too much... It's just a little black cover. =) Though mine is pretty damn broken so it'd be nice to replace I suppose. :)

RIalltrac

I like the stainless ones on ebay, but I'm all set with paying huge amounts of cash to ship it from the UK. I'm with zeus, dont really care as long as its cheap and wont breakdown like the stock piece does.

BraveUlysses

Okay, dealership price for this part is 46 bucks, not including fasteners. Partznet would probably have it for 30-35, which is still not a great deal.

I contacted the guy from the UK on ebay who sells the polished stainless covers, to see if we can get a group buy going, which would save us mucho dinero on shipping. I'll update as things develop, but I don't thing CF or FRP will be the best solution for our ABS covers.

jprine01

I like the CF, but i suppose if your looking for things to make. You should make a CF airbox kit for our cars :) Sorta like the big airbox in the WRC st205. At least i think its on the WRC st205...

Let me find a link..
http://homepage.virgin.net/shalco.com/images/celica_eng.jpg

Anyway, I bet people would pay decent money for something like that, looks a whole lot better then a wooden/sheetmetal/plexiglass whatever screwed together box. And fluid air flow?

Jon P-

maroon_185

I agree, making a cf ABS cover would be sweet since I don't have one, an airbox would be nice too but something just big enough to keep heat away from the filter for us with straight intake and/or aftermarket intakes

I bought the stainless one from guy in England. I removed the bracket
from the actuator and made some studs that will stick thru the cover
(so I can secure it with cap nuts). Looks pretty nice, now if I can just
get the rest of the car done.

Carbon Fiber would be cool

Vincent,

I will take some pictures if I can find the cover. I have
have all my parts stuffed into a closet in the basement
and finding it might take me awhile. Basically there is
a clip/bracket bolted to the ABS actuator. It has holes where
the plastic push down pins on the plastic cover go. The
stainless cover has holes in it in these locations. I put SS
bolts in these holes in the bracket facing up. Then I bolt
the bracket back onto the ABS actuator. The bolts now look
like studs sticking up from the bracket. I align the holes in
the SS cover (or the plastic one for that matter) over these
studs and use cap head nuts to bolt the cover down onto the
bracket. I bought all the bolts from Home Depot for about $4.

BraveUlysses

I never got enough interest to follow through with making it. The project is done and class is now over, and I have no intent to pursue making these.

As for a group buy on the SS ABS covers, I'd be interested in getting one, but I don't have time or the financial resources to start a group buy.

Urg, all my stuff is in a big pile in a closet in my basement.
I need to unpile it anyways, I will try to get a picture of what
I did with the cover in a couple of days