Please name your brand of transmission fluid

QIK_GT4

Since im getting a crunch when changing gears! I thought I might try a tranny oil change first b4 I do anything more expensive lol...

So... what type or brand do you use?

Is Synchromesh that good? and what brand is Synchromesh? ("googled" it and got too many results)

What about redline? (quite an expensive product over here in OZ!)

Anyone heard of or uses "Castrol Multitrax"? (This is only brand we carry at the place I work)

rightrac

pennezoil makes a synchromesh that is about half as expensive as the GM synchromesh. friend of mine uses it and loves it.

QIK_GT4

applor":3537equx said:
have you tried shifting a bit slower?
AWD cars need longer in shifts.

well its not like ive tried ripping the car and quick shifting the heck out of it remember the water pump is borken... :cry: :cry:

so i've only been driving quite slowly... and fully engaging the clutch b4 i shift..

gtfourdreams

I used Redline. it sucks. only good after it warms up... and then it isnt even that good. have it in my MR2 too, also sucks. same problems...

four twenty

I used Redline. it sucks.

Yeah, I agree that their tranny fluid is over rated for our cars. I've tried their ATF and their manual tranny fluids and they both yielded really notchy shifting.

I switched over to their lightweight shockproof gear oil in my tranny and differential and it's shifting much better now. I haven't tried Penzoil Synchromesh but people seem to be having pleasing results.

Stubble

I'm on Pennzoil's 80W-90 oil, GL-5 rated. It hasn't helped with the shifting. This is even on a rebuilt tranny (5000km). Still, I'm hesitant to try Synchromesh - not rated for hypoid gears (GL-5 is), and not sure how our viscous coupling will react with it.

silence

Can you all tell me why you thing redline sucks...give me reasons...as i have a rebuilt tranny that I was getting ready to put redline fluid in...I do not want to put the synchromesh in it because it is not gl5 compatible...any other suggestions?

OlyST185

i heard that the GM synchromesh oil is very good for shifting but i heard it reduce the life of the gear, any thoughs on that?

goldfish

I use Amsoil. I'm a full Amsoil believer. I had some grinding...put in the new stuff and haven't had any problems since (1.5 years ago). I've got 160k on it now. I put it in the Tranny and the rear diff. http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/fgr.aspx

I just pulled the engine and will be buying more of the same to put it in when i put it all back together. I use Amsoil everything in my car now. Love it! I go 6k miles between changes and the oil still feels great. They make high quality filters and I will be putting on their remote filtration kit with a fine filter when I put the car back together.
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/bf.aspx

For NA cars, they have an oil that they guarantee for 35k miles/1 year. My father put that in his new Avalon and left it in for 14 months and 29000 miles. He has the fine filter kit on. After the 14 months, the oil wasn't black - just a dark brown and it still felt like the day he put it in. I dont know if you have ever felt a crappy oil after long use...it feels like water. This stuff still felt like oil. It has a high boiling point. They make a turbo formulated version for motor oil.
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atm.aspx

Okay, i guess i got a bit off topic - but needless to say, i like them and dont plan to change. If you know someone with a distributor account (like myself) you can get it drop shipped to you in usually 2 days - at a decent discount to what is listed on that site. i got the distributor account because i buy enough stuff to save money that way. i dont actually distribute, but i do favors for friends and family...

gpmarzan

I use Valvoline 80w-90. It sucks! im grinding 3rd gear. It only grinds when the oil is warmed up. Its smooth shifting when the oil is somewhat still warming up.

froussemaite

I've been using the cheapest ATF that I can find for a few years now. Moto-master ATF $4 for 4 litres. You can get it at Canadian Tire, so you US guys - there must be an equivalent out there.

I replaced the syncros in my tranny to solve the old 1-2 prob, tried two different types of expensive synthetics and still got the grind. I was recommended the ATF by the GT4EH group and was skeptical at first, but then I noticed that it is a substitute in the manual. Tried it, 1-2 grind gone and have been shifting smooth ever since.

alltracshoak

goldfish":hgck9ds4 said:
I use Amsoil. I'm a full Amsoil believer. I had some grinding...put in the new stuff and haven't had any problems since (1.5 years ago). I've got 160k on it now. I put it in the Tranny and the rear diff. http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/fgr.aspx

I just pulled the engine and will be buying more of the same to put it in when i put it all back together. I use Amsoil everything in my car now. Love it! I go 6k miles between changes and the oil still feels great. They make high quality filters and I will be putting on their remote filtration kit with a fine filter when I put the car back together.
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/bf.aspx

For NA cars, they have an oil that they guarantee for 35k miles/1 year. My father put that in his new Avalon and left it in for 14 months and 29000 miles. He has the fine filter kit on. After the 14 months, the oil wasn't black - just a dark brown and it still felt like the day he put it in. I dont know if you have ever felt a crappy oil after long use...it feels like water. This stuff still felt like oil. It has a high boiling point. They make a turbo formulated version for motor oil.
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atm.aspx

Okay, i guess i got a bit off topic - but needless to say, i like them and dont plan to change. If you know someone with a distributor account (like myself) you can get it drop shipped to you in usually 2 days - at a decent discount to what is listed on that site. i got the distributor account because i buy enough stuff to save money that way. i dont actually distribute, but i do favors for friends and family...

when you switched to amsoil, does it still grinds?

Indy3sgte

75W90 High performance Lucas synthetic transmission fluid.
Expensive, but excellent.

How long have you had lucas in? I thought about going this route but have you noticed any improvements? Just curious

Dan