intercooler

dinorossi

ok, i never knew that watercooled intercoolers were made until looking at gt4s... is the watercooled intercoolers any better than the normal air cooled intercoolers?

Fat Trac

unless you're looking at the 165 intercooler, yeah the wta ones are much better than the stock st-185 a/a.

fmics are just as good if not better, though.

d1alltrac

when comparing a stock air to air off a 185 to a stock water to air off say a 185RC, yeah the wta is gonna be better, this is mainly cause with wta it can more effectively prevent/disapate heat soak with the top mount setup (RC prob flows better too though)

but when comparing a/a with wta in general its hard to say which is better, there are aftermarket wta ic's (spearco for example) that can offer flow and pressure drop equal to if not better than your average frount mount

IMO one isnt better than the other, it just depends on your application...a front mount air to air ic is usually best for most but requires more piping which can result in more lag,while a 185RC or 205 wta ic is sufficent for many apps and keeps the shortest path possible

Zeus

yep as pat says its all about application... they both have their advantages and their dissadvantages

typically wta has a shorter intake path and in turn is better for lag... also water is better at disspating heat.... but ata has its advantages as well

toayoztan

To slightly add too, the FMIC will be more useful around the highways and such while the wta IC will be more useful for those who do a lot of city driving.

Bryan

BraveUlysses

Another thing to consider about WTA intercoolers is that if you so desire, you can fill the resevoir with ice and water to obtain intake charges that are cooler than ambient temps, which is flippin awesome.

dinorossi

............i like the way you think................^^^

would it work to put other things that disate heat faster in it? like radiator fluid, or someother kind of liquid? or would that just be a bad idea?

jprine01

radiator fluid doesnt disapate heat as good as normal water.. its just helps fight corrosion and provides protection against freezing tempatures.

Waterweter is a additive you can put in water that makes it even better.. and adds corrosion protection.

so it really depends on application again, if your going to be driving in winter your going to need some anti-freeze. If not just use distiled water with waterweter

Or better yet just drain and refil before and after the winter :p

beej

put alchohol in the system, that dissapates heat far faster than water

and u'll find that a WTA intercooler setup will have ur less effected by changes in weather (ie intake temps)

built2run

i got an idea, if u replace the wta setup with like an ac unit type of thing with colder than ambient air charge, would this be a good option or what? i have been dying to find out.

jprine01

Hrmmm thats a interesting idea, It would take allot of cooling im guessing though. Or even use a a2a or a2w then a A/C system to reduce the strain on the A/C, beause the compresser is going to suck allot of HP.. Dont know how reliable the A/C compresser is to run non stop.

An idea would be using thermal electric coolers (Peltier), with an interesting dual water setup to achive below ambient water temp to a A2W intercooler with just electricity. It would probably take quiet a few amps, if I had a st205 core i might try messing with it. You would need a alternator upgrade for sure... They draw like 20 amps each and i would use a few.

d1alltrac

built2run":3db74zml said:
i got an idea, if u replace the wta setup with like an ac unit type of thing with colder than ambient air charge, would this be a good option or what? i have been dying to find out.

the supercharged SVT lightning's have something similar to this idea, the supercooler system...here is an explanation:

"Traditional intercoolers dissipate heat from the supercharged air by circulating coolant through a front-mounted, air-cooled radiator. With the SuperCooler system, the vehicle’s air conditioning system is used to chill a small storage tank of coolant to about 30 degrees Fahrenheit. On demand, the SuperCooler system switches the intercooler flow from its normal circulation and dumps the chilled coolant into the engine’s intercooler..."

beej

the question on the AC of the water in a WTA setup is a matter of how much HP it drains, and how much more it will produce. i think ur average AC drags around 10 - 15hp or more of ur power (someone correct me if im wrong and ur CERTAIN or have reference, but im pretty sure). question is, will that colder water produce more than another 15hp by effecting the charge air?

what are teh complications of the system? how much more room is it giong to take up in our already spacious engine bay?

a WTA system is already very efficient, which can be increased by a number of factors:

- the intercooler itself
- the size of the resoviour tank
- the size/efficiency of the heat exchanger/radiator that cools the water
- an appropriately powerful pump

many one run rag coolers use a pipe through a box of dry ice, which is evidence to the case that reduced charge temps can make a large difference, but in said case there is no scavenging

Corky Bell mentioned in maximum boost that his theory was it wouldnt create a great enough advantage to overcome the power drain weith current AC technology, i seem to think he may be rite, considering how well PWR's barrel WTA intercoolers werk

abel ibarra run two on his 6 second rotary

have a look here for urself http://www.pwr-performance.com/intercooler.htm

built2run

well i thought of the idea cuz an A/C can get your car very chilled, so i figured instead of having the cold air hit my face- its better to feed it to my engine, i am gonna try it and i'll let all you know...... any help will be very appriciated.

muneo

Just by the laws of physics your not going to make more power with cold A/C air than with the compressor disconnected. If this was the case racers would be driving with the air conditioner on the whole time. If anything, it could recover some of the power loss caused by the drag of the a/c compressor.

___Scott___

You guys are overlooking a key detail:

"On demand, the SuperCooler system switches the intercooler flow from its normal circulation and dumps the chilled coolant into the engine’s intercooler..."
The AC isn't necessarily running during the short acceleration run. The reservoir of previously chilled coolant provides the temperature drop for the IC. Net long term power drain from the system is higher, but over a short acceleration run (¼ mile), it's all good until the reservoir warms up. The burden on acceleration is the added weight of the system not the power required to run the AC compressor.

jprine01

Well, i remember from physics class, you cannot create/destroy energy only move it around. I.E. its imposible to make a alternator so effiecent it could power a (so effiecent) motor that would drive the alternator (Perpetual Motion Machine).. Anyway
So just the logic of driving a compresser to generate so much more power it overpowers the loss from the compresser seems like it wouldnt work. A Turbocharger uses exhaust energy to power it, tons of energy wasted as exhaust&heat you can reuse, so i can understand how that works. But then again, a engine is a little more complex maybe the A/C thing could work, because a supercharger makes power and its driven off a belt...