The alltrac weight reduction thread

CMS-GT4

Well since there were about 100 of em' on the old board, I figure I'd make a single colaboration for the new board. Especially since I am turning my alltrac into a rac car, so I will be taking off quite a bit of weight.

Here is my list of items and ideas for lowering the weight off the alltrac.
I prefer to remove most of the weight from the front of the car to try and obtain the 50/50 weight ratio.
Post your sugestions

CF hood.
Lexan Glass
Replace power winders with manual.
Possible CF hatch or Fiberglass hatch. (Would depend on the wieght ratio of the car f/r)
Remove ac.
Remove motors for headlights.
remove sunroof.
CF racing seat(s)
Remove egr
Lighter calipers
steel downpipe
lighter tire/wheel combo
remove alarm, radio and other comforts
replace airbag and steerring wheel w/racing wheel
remove rear bumper reinforcements.
Replace stock mirrors w/ cf mirrors
remove cats and use lighter exhaust system
remove sound-proofing.
Replae gas tank with fuel cell.
lighter battery (in trunk)

CMS-GT4

Yeah. St models had them. Also came with manual windows.

I think we can get the alltrac to sub 3k weight, but the car will not be much for street driving.

b00staholic

Whoops, that's what I meant, manual windows. I already have the manual mirrors :)

So are coupe and hatchback doors exactly the same? Stupid question I know...

1stGenAllTrac

I dont think adding manual windows would help weight that much.. i mean the mechanism doesnt weigh that much, i had it out on my 88 (likely the same on the 90-93)
i was actually thinking of gutting the doors, and making the inner panel out of aluminum then putting lexan side windows in with just a strap to pull the windows up that snaps to the inside panel. similar to somethin i saw on a 68 hemi dart on tv. haha..

CMS-GT4

I may not have any interior panels when I am done with the car, and I may keep the electric windows for the sake, I can mount the switch out of the way, and not worry about the window winder being blocked by the roll cage.

On the note of rollcages, ROO how much does your cage weight?

Gary

RainX works!
However, it works well when you drive fast.
I can drive 65 mph in 2-inch rain without wiper.

Griffin

Another one for the list:

CS front bumper conversion (that aluminum front bumper weighs next to nothing)

Griffin

Rally hood isn't that light - it feels close to 30-35 pounds. (didn't weight it on teh scale and its bulky so take with a grain of salt)

CMS-GT4

Yeah the RC hood is only a couple lbs lighter.

ROO has a stripped car. When lightening the car try adn take more from the front then the rear. The car is nose heavy and to make it handle right you need tobalance it as much as you can.

I forgot about the rear antenna.

There is also the option of having some parts made with aluminum, but that can get too costly. I would like an aluminum drive shaft, if someone can figure out how to make it's harmonics balanced.

I think I would concider an aluminum block and run only around 350hp if that was possible. The weight saving would make a huge difference.
That and if anyone made one.

alltracman78

abs
ac evaporator (need to make something to connect the blower and heater core)
pwr locks
auto tilt
alarm
moon roof
pwr steering (maybe)
airbag sensors/ecu
lighter A arms fabricated (if you really want to go crazy)

Some of this stuff is pretty extreme. Personally, I think you need to do almost all of it to really make a difference. Losing 100lbs in our cars really isn't anything.
BTW, everyone is saying thier cars weigh ~3300. Mine says 3180 on the door (car has every option but alarm). I haven't physically gone and weighed it yet though....

CMS-GT4

I had mine corner weighted a bit ago and it came to 3283lbs.
This is loaded, with RC hood/bumper and gearbox. The sard exhaust, teins, and ard wheels were the only other part I had at the time.

I would like to get it down below 3k. I am going all out.

Griffin

Check this out - finally took the A/C evaporator out this weekend - it was 11 pounds! I could not believe it - I htink a lot of it was the dirt on it, but even so that evaporator core is huge and heavy.

Sifu

I second the notion of finding all the total weight of parts from our beloved Alltracs.

And to make it easier, I'll start. Someone should bust out a pen an paper so maybe this list can be collaborated and permanently placed somewhere useful.

Weight (pounds)
Speed Sensor Acutator: 2
Rear Jack: 5
Speed Control Box: 1
Rear Tire Mat: 2
Spare Tire: 37
Trunk Cover: 5
Passenger Glovebox: 5

I'll be taking some other things off. I'll post those if anybody is interested.

CMS-GT4

Stock downpipe w/ heat shields is 25lbs.

BTW: That is a good idea. If anyone takes anything of weight it and post it.