General getting started questions

BoostJunkee

All of my turbo experience has been in the world of Honda, which to me doesn't compare to this world, but still gives me some basic know how and such.

I have a friend with a USDM 88 All-Trac, and was wanting to get some basic questions out of the way.

First, this model has a liquid intercooler, which seems to be pretty small, and I was wondering what kind of a Bottleneck it is, or if they are good up to a certain amount of power to the wheels. I've no experience with liquid intercoolers, only air to air.

Secondly, I believe he may have a dying ECU, as the only way we were able to get the car to run normal, was to disconnect the vaccum outputs from the wastegate actuator that link to the ECU.

Now some of the first stuff I wanted to get him into were the basic intercooler (depending on responses about that), BOV, boost controller. So first on that, what type of hp do you guys lay down on stock internals safely? Also, I've heard rumors that a boost cut controller might be necessary if we wish to increase pressure at all. Any ideas on what kind of psi we can look into pushing before we have to start doing fuel system (injectors, FPR, pump) upgrades? Honestly I think if we could just get a little more kick out of this car for him he'd be pretty happy.

If I am being a typical forum n00b, and need to do a little more searching around because these questions have been answered 1,430,000 times already, feel free to smack me one upside the head. Thanks guys.

-Jason

BoostJunkee

yeah I figured as much.

I am looking around now to see what people have done to install BOV's on an 165, pretty limited on space, wondering if I could fab up a metal turbo to put inline on that silicon hose

If anyone can post up some pictures of theirs installed, please do.

Gary

I don't remember whose engine it is but here you go, a BOV on the Samco T-hose from 935motorsports.

BoostJunkee

Gary":2gg0h82q said:
I don't remember whose engine it is but here you go, a BOV on the Samco T-hose from 935motorsports.

Thats perfect. I may have him pick up that kit to save us the trouble of doing any fabrication work. Then again I am still trying to talk him into clocking that turbo around and throwing a Custom Coach FMIC in and doing the piping, and that would change things.

Gary

BoostJunkee":j3iv76cb said:
Gary":j3iv76cb said:

Thats perfect. I may have him pick up that kit to save us the trouble of doing any fabrication work. Then again I am still trying to talk him into clocking that turbo around and throwing a Custom Coach FMIC in and doing the piping, and that would change things.
FMIC would be a good idea if you and him find a way to mount the core in the ST165 bumper. I think you will also have to modify the wastegate arm when clocking the turbo.

Stubble

This website gets quoted here often, because it is quite a good read.
www.mrcontrols.com
Read the power primer. The MR2 shares the same 2nd generation 3S-GTE as the 90-93 alltracs, so it is a bit different than your first gen motor. You can search here to find out the differences. However, most of the stuff in the primer still apply.

Note: the MR2 came with a factory BOV, whereas our cars do not. I do not know at what point a BOV becomes necessary for our cars.

BoostJunkee

Stubble":25i2za8z said:
This website gets quoted here often, because it is quite a good read.
www.mrcontrols.com
Read the power primer. The MR2 shares the same 2nd generation 3S-GTE as the 90-93 alltracs, so it is a bit different than your first gen motor. You can search here to find out the differences. However, most of the stuff in the primer still apply.

Note: the MR2 came with a factory BOV, whereas our cars do not. I do not know at what point a BOV becomes necessary for our cars.

Well I hate to say it but I know my buddy is interested in the sound. Its my job to make it necessary. I'd say running 14psi or so, even if it isn't necessary for compressor surge prevention, its better safe than sorry.

Stubble

Sorry, that was uncalled for. But I just love that auction.

There used to be a bunch of good threads on BOV/by-pass valves on this board, but with the switch they are not available. I would search on www.mr2oc.com for more info on BOV's, and what happens when you re-route them to the intake (better driveability) vs. venting them to atmosphere (the sound he's after).