BAR in California

gt litfhback

hey wazz up guys i was wondering if any tried to bar the 3sgte in cali. i know that the second and third generation of the 3sgte will fit on any 5th gen but are there any major differences thanks a lot

muneo

Judging by that last post, I think you may have to be a little more descriptive in terms the meaning of BAR.

gt litfhback

i am so sorry i thought everyone will understand it.......lol what i mean by BAR is bureau of automotive repair............i am wondering if someone tried to legalize their jdm 3sgte. i am all set for the swap i just need some info or help as far as making the 3sgte street legal. i know its possible i am wondering if someone have already tried before.

muneo

Most likely your gonna have to put on all the emissions stuff like the EGR in order to get it registered.

RIalltrac

muneo":f80icrzy said:
Most likely your gonna have to put on all the emissions stuff like the EGR in order to get it registered.

which aint gonna happen with a jdm 3S seeing as how neither the head or the intake manifold have the ports on them for the egr system.

wizzards581

RIalltrac":21o9w2ip said:
muneo":21o9w2ip said:

which aint gonna happen with a jdm 3S seeing as how neither the head or the intake manifold have the ports on them for the egr system.

i thought egr runs from intake manifold and exhuast manifold only?

i talked with BAR smog techs and they said no need to ref if engine is available for that generation. ex. 90-93 celica comes with 3sgte in USA. any celica of that year can have a 3sgte without ref. its considered as a replacement motor not a mod. i also mention how integras, some come with vtec and non-vtec and he said same thing, and i asked how the celica RWD GTS came with 22re's and 80s 4runner 4cyl has 22re's as well and can it be legal to do, he said yes its consider as replacement motor. as long as obd's are correct, no CELs, and same motor available for that generation. a smog tech i recently smog my st185 has a 90 celica GTS with 3sgte and said no ref is needed as 90-93 celica has 3sgte emissions available for that generation. i havent tried but i was told and heard. just give BAR referee stations a call they can asnwer your question.

gt litfhback

really???? those are great news by any chance do you happen to know or can you direct me to a BAR referee if it is not too much to ask??? thank a lot dude

RIalltrac

wizzards581":1dwy2ort said:
RIalltrac":1dwy2ort said:
muneo":1dwy2ort said:

i thought egr runs from intake manifold and exhuast manifold only?

nope, the egr valve pulls the exhaust gas out of the head and routes it back into the intake manifold. The exhaust manifold is not in the equation.

wizzards581

gt litfhback":2v05y1ua said:
really???? those are great news by any chance do you happen to know or can you direct me to a BAR referee if it is not too much to ask??? thank a lot dude

yes ill have to talk to that smog tech again. he is my bro-n-laws friend. since he has a 5th gen GTS with 3sgte and passes smog. if i can somehow clear this out very good ill probably make one legal myself or prob it doesnt have to be legal as the engine is already available for that generation celica. just give referee station a call. they can answer ur questions.