against a wrx..

gpmarzan

for those that are running fairly stock, where do you guys have your boost set to to run even or faster than a stock wrx?

BraveUlysses

We need more than a boost controller to take down WRX's. Intake, exhaust and maybe an MBC will maybe permit you to take one down.

The most psi you would ever want to run with a 165 on a stock turbo is probably 13-14 and the most you'd want on a 185 is 15-16.

gpmarzan

BraveUlysses":219ykjqm said:
We need more than a boost controller to take down WRX's. Intake, exhaust and maybe an MBC will maybe permit you to take one down.

The most psi you would ever want to run with a 165 on a stock turbo is probably 13-14 and the most you'd want on a 185 is 15-16.

yes, yes..i know the limits of our stock turboes..i was just curious what psi people run when they say they can run against wrx's

SuperWhite92

My mods consist of: MBC@14.7psi, ARC TMIC, KO DP, 46 Trim CT26, and I can take out any WRX that hasn't yet recieved a bigger turbo.

Kyoto

Not to doubt anyone's claims, but MY05 Aus delivered WRX's run in the vicinity of 5.5sec 0-100km. For a GT4 to run these times i can't help but feel that you would need more than the basic intake/exhaust/boost mods.

ChrisD

My mods are on my site, but I am pretty competitive with the STi's (driver's race basically)...WRX's aren't really a challenge. :D

A

Anonymous

hmmm...my brothers WRX runs 13.4s all day long on pump gas.

and 13.1 on race.

his mods are 3in turbo back, up pipe, u-tec, intake, and a big top mount.

so i wouldnt say they arnt a challenge for you

Kyoto

Chris's car was built in 1988, when was your brother's WRX built? Most WRX's also weigh less than the average GT4...

PS: no one drives round with race gas all day every day! :wink:

pepper

At a track day last year, I was in a dead heat on the straights with a WRX, stock except for a catback... don't know what size. I had a gutted cat, 2.5" exhaust and boost at 12psi with an FCD. Results makes sense, I figure pretty even p/w ratios between the two cars.

-Mike

Kyoto

Depends. The newer the WRX pretty much the faster it will be. There are exceptions which the WRX heads will jump in and point out, ie the 99 model, but by and large this is the case.

C-dubb

so basicly my friend owns a WRX that is stock and uhh i can ride my bike and blast one out my ass and beat him. seriousley.

C-dubb

erm dud i did mean a bicycle hahahaha. okay. yeah but seriousley. hhahahaaha i can't stop laughing oh shit...i just crapped my f*%*ing pants. haha yeah a bicycle.

Kyoto

I beat a modded MY98 the other week convicingly, then i got in his car and drove it. Even though im faster, his car was comprehensively better in terms of overall feel. The painful reality is you can make any car go faster, but handling traits (in particular the inherent fucking vague steering our cars have) aren't as simple to straighten out...

Kyoto

Comparing them to what? Youre right, 165's/185's don't handle TOO bad, but then again they don't handle that good OUT OF THE BOX in comparison to some of their immediate competition of the same era. TTE really only sorted all the niggling issues out on the 205s. ie aerodynamics, airflow properties, heat dissipation (bigger pre-rads, front grill, water ij., and I/C spray bars), adequate rim/tyre size, and chassis refinement. But thats what makes 165's/185's good project cars - they're inherently underrated and obscure to boot. :)

SuperWhite92

Kyoto":2db7xuwf said:
Comparing them to what? Youre right, 165's/185's don't handle TOO bad, but then again they don't handle that good OUT OF THE BOX in comparison to some of their immediate competition of the same era. TTE really only sorted all the niggling issues out on the 205s. ie aerodynamics, airflow properties, heat dissipation (bigger pre-rads, front grill, water ij., and I/C spray bars), adequate rim/tyre size, and chassis refinement. But thats what makes 165's/185's good project cars - they're inherently underrated and obscure to boot. :)

I'll agree the don't handle great, but the era of the 165/185 didn't have much competition if you're comparing to cars of that exact era.

The EVO came about at the very end of the 185 era, and subaru's competition consisted of legacies (liberty's on your side of the world, IIRC). The Galant VR-4 handled like crud with 4 wheels and the legacies certainly were nothing astounding. I'd say the 185 was right at home.

stepping back to the 165 era, we still had the Galant VR-4 to compete with, which handles better compared to the 165 (at least the two I've driven). At this point, Subaru was still making Alyclone's (XT6's in the US). These were amazingly unremarkable.

When the ST205 came about in '94, the EVO was still being sorted out, the WRX's were starting to pick up some footing, and all was well. Still healthy competition, IMO. It wasn't until later years that I feel the competition surpassed the GT-Four's prowess, and it was due to the fact toyota didn't change the GT-Four enough to keep with the times.