Intake Piping

celicaracer18

ok i am putting in a 3sgte from a MR2 into a 95 celica st i will be running on factory IC for about the first 2500 miles then i'm getting a FMIC, when i do that what size piping should i get i was under the impression that 3" is the best but a couple of people are now telling me that thats too big on stock motor, but what i keep saying is that it won't be stock, click on the link in my sig for all my engine mods that will be in.

celicaracer18

i put it in my sig right after i amde the post i guess it can't attatch it because it wasn't there when the post was made :shrug:

celicaracer18

ok can 3" hurt anything, i want 3" so that when i do get to the point where it becomes helpful (when i upgrade the turbo) i won't have to get all new piping fitted and welded and have to rip all the old out

Griffin

eh - I have 2 1/4 from turbo to IC and 2.5" from IC to TB on mine. The intake pipe from my turbo to filter is a 2.75"

turbo4wd

Griffin":21ok92bo said:
eh - I have 2 1/4 from turbo to IC and 2.5" from IC to TB on mine. The intake pipe from my turbo to filter is a 2.75"

same here.. cept my intake piping is 3" (only thing i had readily avail)

I dont see how doing 3" for intercooler piping will help.. because you'll have to use reducers at the tb and intercooler end tanks unless of course youve got a 3" path for the entire system.. not to mention hood clearance issues..

busdriver

According to Corky Bell 2.5 inch tube is adequate for up to about 600 bhp.

"resist the temptation to use larger diameter tubes than necessary as little drag is created in smooth tubes with gentle bends. Larger tubes will only add to the volume of the IC system, and that is not a good thing to do."

Just as a side note, with fluids the force exerted is proportional to the ratio of the areas. So if you go from a 2 inch turbo, to three inch pipe, your force is only 4/9 of what is was in the turbo. So say inside the 2" turbo outlet you were making 18psi, once you hit the 3 inch pipe it drops to 8psi. I think once it hits the 2" throttle body it will even out, but you are adding a hell of a lot of area there.

Just my 2 cents.

Conrad_Turbo

alltracman78":154uikxm said:
Any kind of flow system is only as good as the smallest part. I would stick with the turbo/ic/tb size hose.

Yep, the least amount of reducers and the opposite, the better.

lhoy12

celicaracer18":2t753zsr said:
ok can 3" hurt anything, i want 3" so that when i do get to the point where it becomes helpful (when i upgrade the turbo) i won't have to get all new piping fitted and welded and have to rip all the old out

It may not "hurt" anything. But it could create excess turbo lag until you get a larger turbo that will push enough air where piping that large is useful. There is a possibility that a small turbo pushing air through 3" piping will have a lower velocity compared to a larger turbo pushing a lot more air which will give you higher velocity. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm having a hard time trying to figure how to say it quickly yet understandably. It may also possibly cause more pressure drop.

celicaracer18

ok so it looks like i'm getting 2.5" since thats the easiest to find anyways, i am going to get 3" from the filter to turbo though

but the intercooler i was going to get has 3" inlet/outlets, so wil that decrese performance or should i look for a diff intercooler (its a Hybrid ic)

also BTW what size is the the Throttle body on a 2nd gen 3sgte from a 93 MR2 ihave heard diff. things