Raced against a 7mge Supra

toayoztan

Yeah, my buddy was talking about his new supra he just got when i was at army national guard drills this weekend. He's the kind of guy that likes to talk about his car(s) A LOT. he was telling me how he was next to a v8 mustang and just smoked the guy from a rolls, etc etc. So you know i was thinking, *cough*bullshit*cough*.

So we headed out to lunch, and not to my surprise he wanted to race me. My car is just completely stock with a catch can, 15" rims, and hks ssqv bov. Yeah, not much difference in performance. So from a 40 roll....i beat him couple car lenghts and kept pulling. From a stop...i'm sure we know the results there. I beat him couple car lenghts...kept pulling.

My stock boost is 6-7psi. So yeah, we get out and he's like "haha that damn turbo, i would have you if you didn't have it!" Well, dur, but my car is STOCK with the turbo, it's not like i modded to have it slapped on. Then he started giving excuses like, yeah, i would run faster but I think my tranny is messing up, and bla bla.

Well, sorry, just a little story I wanted to mention.

Bryan

My car just rolled over to 190,000 miles too and still running strong (though I did replace all the gaskets, hoses, bearings, and other things...)

j-gt4specs

Haha yeah well good he likes toyotas. As for me most my buddys are honda/acura lovers and well what pisses me off is how they go N/A is best and I stand there saying SO??? reason why it is cause it's the easiest and cheapest car you can modify easily and find parts almost anywhere you go oh and forgot to mention you see thousands of them everyday.

Mafix

apexi_gt4":1w596s7r said:
Haha yeah well good he likes toyotas. As for me most my buddys are honda/acura lovers and well what pisses me off is how they go N/A is best and I stand there saying SO??? reason why it is cause it's the easiest and cheapest car you can modify easily and find parts almost anywhere you go oh and forgot to mention you see thousands of them everyday.
i spank on my friends hondas all day long and i still get that speach from them.

Gurr

I used to take out honda's and acuras left and right.. unless they had serious work done to them, but those guys deserve the win. I haven't done shit to mine either. To bad my head gasket finally went and I have to change it.

Go MHG and get some serious boost with a 3" dp and 2nd gen head!

Kyoto

1) I'm gonna laugh when your friend's HG blows. Tell him to start saving.

2) WTF would you buy a 7MGTE Supra for, let a 7MGE Supra?

3) Its really funny how in the US Hondas are popular from an modifcation perspective. Yes they're engineered/built extremely well, but firstly they're FWD and secondly you can only take an NA car so far without going forced induction! Just funny is all...

C-dubb

There is a N/A CRX her in town built by a guy who owns an import shop his name is chai and it runs 11.somethinglow 1/4 mile thats the kind of honda i respect...

jprine01

Kyoto":ohn895r8 said:
I have a 7mgte with MHG, never had a hint of reliabilty problems, and the car with stock everything but intake/exhaust/washer on wastegate can spank pretty much any car. I've raced mustang cobras etc. My slightly modded st185 seems like its parked if i race the two, the supra can go faster around a high speed turn then anything I've raced against. These cars have awsome double wishbone syspensions, and the engine is powerful except for low rpm... Tranny will hold 1000hp no problem.. How can you complain about a toyota??? I know the headgaskets blow easily on them, but thats only because the factory torque spec is like 45ft/lb or some crap. Once you fix that its all good.

I've been in some mk3 supras where they break the tires loose at 80mph.

yamayuki98

jprine01":1mikluom said:
Kyoto":1mikluom said:
I have a 7mgte with MHG, never had a hint of reliabilty problems, and the car with stock everything but intake/exhaust/washer on wastegate can spank pretty much any car. I've raced mustang cobras etc. My slightly modded st185 seems like its parked if i race the two, the supra can go faster around a high speed turn then anything I've raced against. These cars have awsome double wishbone syspensions, and the engine is powerful except for low rpm... Tranny will hold 1000hp no problem.. How can you complain about a toyota??? I know the headgaskets blow easily on them, but thats only because the factory torque spec is like 45ft/lb or some crap. Once you fix that its all good.

I've been in some mk3 supras where they break the tires loose at 80mph.
i too love the mk3 supra turbo's, a friend of mines got a 89 supra turbo with a j-spec 7mgte low mileage block with low mileage turbo, full 3" exhuast, with hks intake filter, blitz bov, factory clutch, boosted at 10.5psi, stock HG, and nitto 555, hits 13.9 consistently..he belives with real drag slicks heal be able to get into the mid 13's...very fast, i've been in it and everytime he shifts, its a headache...love the torgue on these kouki models...

Kyoto

When did i ever say they were bad cars?

There are obviously exceptions to the general rule but how long have you guys had your cars for and how many miles have they done? I was highlighting the fact the 7M HG is weaker than a 95 year old's bladder, not that there was anything wrong with the cars!

With the cost of REAL JZA70's (as opposed to MA70s) dropping like crazy i personally don't see the point in investing in the older tech model when the inherent weaknesses were addressed for a very good reason. I mean, how long did the life span of the 7M series engine last compared to the 1/2JZ's? If you enjoy your car thats fine and im genuinely happy for you. But by the same token, i've seen brand new HKS MHG blow without user abuse on more than one occassion. Obvioiusly i hope you don't go through, but as long as you know its mroe than likely to happen at some stage.

The comment about the transmission being able to handle 1000HP is absolutely incorrect aswell. Yes, they were overengineered but your being a tad optimistic if you think it would handle 1000HP day in day out, why the hell did Toyota move to the 6 speed Getrag box on the JZA80s if this was true?. Even professional drag teams would be moving to Holingers/PPGs/OS Giken/HKS dog boxes at this power level. You may not be breaking the box itselft but what about diffs, prop shafts, etc..

And as for me complaining about Toyota's, i had a myriad of cars to choose from when i bought mine, including hard tune R32 GTRs, decently tuned JZA70s, EVOs, STi's, S6 RX7's and of course S13/14/15's. What did i choose? Two Toyota's. So please don't misconstrue me when i talk about their flaws. They're not perfect, if they were most of us wouldn't have the means to be able to afford them but it doesn't mean you have to get defensive about it.