3S-GE cams

mtbgael

I the whole motor/tranny from my old '87 GT-S (severly missed)..and had the thought that they probably put more mild cams in the GTE than the GE since air is being forced into the GTE. Would i see much gain from putting the GE cams in the GTE? Anyone have experience with this? Are there any other parts that switch over that might give me a gain?

oh, and my '87 3S clutch (centerforce) won't work with my '88 motor right? thanks everyone

st185-sainz

I will try that on my ST185 with 3SGE cams from ST182!

I heard from some Japanese people that they use the GE cams. This is a cheap upgrade, but I'm not sure how much you gain from that.

maybe we can interchange our experiences.

mtbgael

well when I get the car back into good shape I'll give it a try and report my findings. Dyno results won't happen, but I can garauntee track times :smokes:

allblackalltrac

I finally did this to a friends car, ST165. I really couldn't tell you if there is a difference...his car wasn't running very good before I did all the work to it so...no dyno graphs of before and after. His T-VIS is gutted and cat gutted too. All I can tell you is that when I hit 3500RPM in the car you can really feel the turbo kick in.

mtbgael

At least i know they fit, thanks :D I had no idea ST165s were screwed so badly on parts availability. Different clutch/fw/cams/etc...phew this sound be interesting.

allblackalltrac

Heh guys heres an update on those GE cams in my boys car. Lately we were having some over heating issues with his car and traced it back to the cams...apparently after a few kms they would go out of timing. Not sure what is causing it, the tensioner is new as is the belt and there doesn't appear to be any signs of belts slippage (marked the belt to the gear). Needless to say the stockers are going back in.
I know Patrick has done this mod and he even suggested to properlly dial in the cams using adjustable cam gears...I really didn't think they would be needed but experince pays...I always preached about cam gears before cams myself, should have listened to my own advise :doh:
So Im in the market for adjustable cam gears for my boys car and my bros car. We are going to experiment with only swapping the intake cams and leaving the exhaust cam alone.