Whiteline FAQ [no sales pitches]

thkohlb

I am debating buying the whiteline works kit and i am wondering a few things.....

one: how big of a difference did you notice?

two: is this truely a bolt on?

three: are the rear struts bolt on, or is there cutting and welding involved?

four: would you recommend it?

five: how much did you pay?

let me know as soon as you can!

killer_siller

http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=108

griffin over there says -
"I can take a 90 degree right at 50 and the car just flat out turns"

i would say thats a difference. i know i'm going for it.

you'll have to ask him about how 'bolt on' it is.

(edit) i need to stop posting at 0300 in the morning. the '90 at 50' guy didn't have whiteline stuff, that was the post before him. oh well, glad no one caught it before i did. :D

jspeccelica

935 motorsports sells the kit for the cheapest price i've found. The works runs about 1200 bones, but that's with koni adjustable shocks, whiteline springs, polyurethane bushings, front and rear swaybars, and from what i've read, it's supposed to be one of the nicest systems around...

turbo4wd

one: how big of a difference did you notice?
- its like a new car.. completely night and day..

two: is this truely a bolt on?
- yes..

three: are the rear struts bolt on, or is there cutting and welding involved?
- not sure there.. since I didnt get the struts..

four: would you recommend it?
- absolutely..

five: how much did you pay?
- dont remember.. its been a while..

RIalltrac

The works runs about 1200 bones, but that's with koni adjustable shocks, whiteline springs, polyurethane bushings, front and rear swaybars

I have the works kit installed, from my understanding a front swaybar is not included in the package. Well it didnt come with my package that is. Some say the springs can be a little soft, depends on your preference. I daily drive my alltrac and the springs still seem a bit harsh to me, who am I though? The car handles 100 times better, with the proper tires you can grab just about any corner. Everything is bolt on except the rear struts, you have to convert them to accept an insert. There was a writeup on the old site, but whiteline actually supplies you with the directions on how to perform the conversion. If you have even mild fabrication skills you should be able to pull it off. I would recommend it for someone interested in a lower spring setup. If your looking for an adjustable situation whiteline is not the way to go, you would be more in the market for a tein setup which is 100% bolt on. I believe I paid around 12-1300 for the full kit, which isnt bad because it comes with poly bushings, rear sway & camber bolts. for the best bang for you buck whiteline definately delivers.[/quote]

alltrac.net

Personally, I think the Whiteline kits are pricey. However, the people who have them never seem to regret the purchase. While we are all trying to band aid solutions together, they are enjoying the road. A complete and proper suspension package makes your All Trac own the road, stock or not.

Zeus

I would get everything they offer except the springs and shocks... they ARE too soft and i bottom out a lot if im not careful...

just buying the other stuff will make a large improvement... at the very least get them to custom wind you some stiffer springs.

about the "i can take 90's at 50" that has more to do with tires than anything... having an r compound tire will greatly increase handling performance... more so than any suspension set up really...

RIalltrac

they ARE too soft and i bottom out a lot if im not careful...

Not to sound like an ass, but what kind of roads are you driving on with this setup? I havent bottomed out in the year and a half that I've had my setup on. I also have tires with a taller sidewall than recommended to handle a little more shock from the crappy roads around here in RI.

Zeus

RIalltrac":1f2vtgvo said:
they ARE too soft and i bottom out a lot if im not careful...

Not to sound like an ass, but what kind of roads are you driving on with this setup? I havent bottomed out in the year and a half that I've had my setup on. I also have tires with a taller sidewall than recommended to handle a little more shock from the crappy roads around here in RI.

well for starters im running 235.40.17's and i run at the track a lot.. autox and ive done some driver training courses ect.. trust me load the suspenion on a turn and then go over a bump.. it will bottom out..

thkohlb

what springs would you recommend, i'm debating getting the koni shocks all around either way, had them in a different car and loved them. i'm looking at the ground control coilovers as well. the previous owner had suspension technique's lowering springs on them, i find them very bouncy, but i was wondering what everyones recommendations were are the springs/coilover battle as well..

edv-tek

I currently have a ST165 with everything including the works ft/rr strut tower brackes and optional poly bushings, whiteline suspension. The suspension turned the car into a different animal. With the Castor/anti-lift kit included, the car went from alot of understeer to slight understeer. The stablizer bars were more beefer and heavier(weight). The rear was adjustable(three different settings). The bushings did alot also and I would suggest getting the optional outer control arm bushing kit to complete the package. You can also fine tune the feel with the adjustable Koni's.

I had ground control coil overs and koni's on my last ST165. The ride was tough with the springs that were suggested by ground control. When I mean tough it would rattle your dental work loose. The ground control were more for the track. I loved the feel other than that. The whiteline package is weak in the department of the springs. That is the reason I still have a set of TRD springs in the box. I might put a set of coil overs back on since the whiteline springs are a bit bouncy.

The koni's are a better design through whiteline. Before I had washers for spacers and I made the rear housings able to be replaceable as seen through the link on this site. But, with whiteline you cut out the old struts and drill a hole to engage a bolt that goes through the lower end of the shaft to attach the end of the strut and everything fits. How easy was this compared to the previous conversion that anyone could do it?

In summary the Whiteline is a well thought out complete package, with everything except the springs, that is balanced for you car and application and worth every penny. I feel whiteline made the springs a little looser for road so the average driver would not complain and you could take it off road.

I forgot to mention at the very least get a front strut tower brace through Whiteline. Real cheap performance. I can't believe how much our cars twist and roll down the road and how many of the gurus don't have them. Shame..... I didn't see much difference on the rear strut tower brace though. I hope this clears alot of mis-information.
-ed
Ps for fully adjustable camber Toyota part #'s 48194-32020 and 44198-32020.

Zeus

the only problem with the koni's is that they dont have any compression rebound... that doesnt go well with the fact that they include soft springs!

whiteline can custom wind you some spings... which im also sure you can have that done locally... you just need to mention the spring rates and drop you want... i also find that my car is a little higer in the back (kinda like a drag set up that the big hicks use)

i recall the spring rate is 190 in the front and 135? in the rear... someting like that... i would think we would need something in atleast the 300's and 200's respectively seeings how heavy the car is... i would THINK...

RIalltrac

coming from someone who has this stuff installed on a completely street driven alltrac, that does see decent winter action. This setup is really not all that bad. I understand what blake is referrering to when it comes to track applications, but for your average driver with no desires to compete at tracks. This might be your option.

Zeus

yeah i would say its a good set up for the average person looking to have car look a little nicer and handle much better...

i still think i would go with some different springs though as i have bottomed out a couple times on the street just going over bumps in the road and such... something my 200 doesnt do at all (i can practically take jumps in that car) but again its a readily available set up that really gets rid of all the body roll ect which there is a lot of the alltrac...

Sifu

I've read that Whiteline's were linear vs. progressive. Is there any major difference between the two? Because I'm starting to look at suspension packages and the Whiteline's are really interesting me vs. the very $$$ JSPEED models.

Suspension mods will be the first thing I do next to an EMS upgrade. Thanks.

Conrad_Turbo

Sifu":3iswcz8y said:
I've read that Whiteline's were linear vs. progressive. Is there any major difference between the two? Because I'm starting to look at suspension packages and the Whiteline's are really interesting me vs. the very $$$ JSPEED models.

Suspension mods will be the first thing I do next to an EMS upgrade. Thanks.

Linear is more predictable for racing or driving on the limit, progressive is for people who want a sporty ride...but still want a smooth ride as well.

i recall the spring rate is 190 in the front and 135? in the rear... someting like that... i would think we would need something in atleast the 300's and 200's respectively seeings how heavy the car is... i would THINK...

That's very low! My 1700lb Starlet has 300lb/in in the front and 225lb/in in the rear and the car rides quite well, having thoes springs on a Celi would ride even smoother and decrease the natural frequency of the suspension even more.